Beck disses LP's

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
I went through the whole thread. Here's where I stand:

1. I find his statement offensive to the instrument called ''Les Paul''

2. I find his statement hypocritical to Gibson, which, indeed stuffed his pockets with hot cash, quite recently actually.

3. I don't care if Beck stayed true all those years to himself and his music. To my eyes he is both hypocritical & selling out, by taking Gibson's cash, since he says that he does not believe to the instrument anymore. Or he's too drunk / high when interviewed. He should look into it.

And let's make it clear that I'm a ''nobody'', totally unworthy of carrying Beck's gigback or tying his shoe-lasses. But that doesn't mean that he was right.

Too bad because his mumbling took so much of our attention, due to who he is. And not due to the value of what he said.

Damn, that's EXACTLY why I hate old age...

Frankie A.

Reaction score
I'm sorry but that makes no sense to me. Single coils have such a stark clarity that mistakes are not hidden at all. While humbuckers can mask all manner of bad playing and technique.
Either a strat or a paul can mask bad playing and technique with enough distortion . . :naughty:
But I thought the point was the strat with the thin neck and narrower radius is easier to play "sloppy" but IMHO this only applies to beginner or amateur players . . or a very stoned Hendrix ! :hmm:

Too bad because his mumbling took so much of our attention, due to who he is. And not due to the value of what he said.
Bravo . . you hit the nail firmly on the head . . . :thumb:

teleman

Reaction score
Is this nonsense still going on?
He stated his view on why he's using a Strat. He has used Les Pauls on numerous occasions recently(including the Oxblood) when it was the appropriate instrument for him to use.
If not for the word "sissy" nobody would be upset and acting like he insulted their mother or kicked their cat. Ridiculous what gets people's panties in a bunch.

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
Is this nonsense still going on?
He stated his view on why he's using a Strat. He has used Les Pauls on numerous occasions recently(including the Oxblood) when it was the appropriate instrument for him to use.
If not for the word "sissy" nobody would be upset and acting like he insulted their mother or kicked their cat. Ridiculous what gets people's panties in a bunch.
yes...

Tim1967

Reaction score
I totally expected to open this thread and see...

That's why I'm still a NooB I guess...

gtr-tek

Fumble Fingers
Reaction score
:wow: I'm surprised how many of you take this out of context and read it literally then blow it out of proportion.

Yes, I'm a Jeff Beck fan and I own a JB sig Strat. If the money were right, I'd get an Oxblood too. Waaaayyy to expensive! He's clearly (to me anyways, and a few others here) complimenting the LP for it's ease of use bending-wise and it's delicate tone. He clearly appreciates the instrument and chooses to use the Strat to get the sounds he's looking for. I've read interviews where he says he likes a Strat that plays like a "pig" so he can wrest the tones out of it. He can play any guitar he wants! Gibson knows this. They are cashing in on a piece of history.

Also, remember that Fender came out with the JB sig Esquire like he used in the Yardbirds that is now owned by Seymour Duncan. Also too expensive or I'd have one too. You don't see Jeff playing that one. :hmm:

Jimmy Paige played a Strat on In The Evening.

Let's just continue to play our Les Pauls and enjoy them. I love to plug mine into a massive amp and wreck the delicate tone! :dude:

Reaction score
yeah what ever, he has is opinion just like i do, fender strat is good for playing surf music and nothing more, terrible guitars, a fender telly on the other hand love them to death.

there are about 100000 no name guitars out there that i wold rather play over a strat.

guitarfish

Reaction score
Yup Strats suck. I could never get used to that surf music SRV played. :thumb:

Seriously, I love my Strats as much as my LP.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had a Strat at one time, and I liked it just fine, but ...

It's gone and the LP is still here. Nuff said?

Other than that, I ain't getting too worked up about anything. As far as I can tell, if you want subtle delicate tones, a LP will do it. If you want crunch, it will let you do that too. So then what's the issue? Even if something were ummm scientifically proven (like Mister T having perfect hair :D ) why should I care? I'm an amateur. I only have to please ME.

River

Reaction score
This thread's never going to die, is it?

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
hi, this is Jeff - nope, just kidding...

since this thread is shot to hell imo, for the people who love, hate, or are indifferent to Strats,
i thought i would post a photo of my 2003 "Jeff Beck Signature Series" Strat
loaded with Fender "Jeff Beck" Hot Noiseless pups, a Tonemojo 7-way wiring rig
(5 way switch, 2-250K CTS pots & one push pull pot),
and a Fender/Floyd Rose Deluxe Locking Tremolo system

this Strat is the equivalent of my beloved "Number One" black Gibson Les Paul Custom...

let me tell you, this Strat can do just about anything except make me sound like Jeff Beck :rofl:

Latest Threads