Beck disses LP's

LP Fan

Reaction score
BTW, after watching the 1974 JB video above (posted by dynamohum), I realized finally that JB and Nigel Tuffnel from Spinal Tap are the same guy.

guitarfish

Reaction score
It cracks me up that someone's opinion of a guitar - a diss, or otherwise - can get people so riled up. The LP will endure what anyone says about it, even Jeff. I also see no hypocrisy at all in him saying what he did and having a sig model.

LP Fan

Reaction score
With all due respect, I believe it is hypocritical. Those who bought the "Oxymoron" could have bought any LP they wanted given the price. They likely chose that one for a variety of reasons, most importantly the fact that JB endorsed it; plainly, they paid a big premium for the privilege. By criticizing the very guitar he endorses, JB becomes a hypocrite. How can he, in good faith, promote an instrument (exceedingly expensive or otherwise) which he admits is not the best? What does that say about his integrity other than that he's raking in a nice payday? It's unfair to those who purchased it. Had he made his comments during the period in which the Oxymoron was promoted initially, perhaps some or many would have been dissuaded from purchasing one.

guitarfish

Reaction score
With all due respect, I believe it is hypocritical. Those who bought the "Oxymoron" could have bought any LP they wanted given the price. They likely chose that one for a variety of reasons, most importantly the fact that JB endorsed it; plainly, they paid a big premium for the privilege. By criticizing the very guitar he endorses, JB becomes a hypocrite. How can he, in good faith, promote an instrument (exceedingly expensive or otherwise) which he admits is not the best? What does that say about his integrity other than that he's raking in a nice payday? It's unfair to those who purchased it. Had he made his comments during the period in which the Oxymoron was promoted initially, perhaps some or many would have been dissuaded from purchasing one.
JB's sig is a replica of a guitar he plays, and that's why people buy them. They like Jeff, want something like what Jeff plays, and he (and Gibson) filled that desire. Do you really think someone on the verge of buying one is going to be dissuaded because of what Jeff said? Get serious. It's not like he compared them to Esteban's or something. It's well-known that Jeff primarily plays Strats. Don't you think people shelling out cash for his sig know this? (They probably OWN his Strat sig already...)

Musicians criticize their own music all the time - does that make them hypocrites, because they critique something they are at the same time selling? Of course not.

LP lovers don't need to get their nuts in a wad over this. There's a lot of truth in what Jeff said, and if you substituted something else for the word "sissy" this thread might not even exist. If there's anyone who is in a position to speak about the relative pros and cons of different guitar designs, JB is surely one of them.

You're on a mighty high horse there criticizing his integrity. Seriously, who are you? Do you know him? Could you be on the same stage with him?

LP Fan

Reaction score
No, I couldn't be on the same stage as him, guitar-wise. I don't think many could. But, that's not the point. His integrity IS in issue, in my opinion, based on his promotion of the sig and his statement which contradicts and undermines materially that promotion. You may disagree (that's your opinion), but there's no reason to get nasty about it.

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
Re: Beck disses LP's
Lowdown: "Funny thread...gimme more"

the excerpt below is from Ritchie Blackmoore's interview...

now WTF are we going to do?

i know, let's start a new thread:
"Blackmoore disses Gibson" :laugh2:

planks

Reaction score
<snip>I also see no hypocrisy at all in him saying what he did and having a sig model.</snip>
<snip>If there's anyone who is in a position to speak about the relative pros and cons of different guitar designs, JB is surely one of them.
+1000 :thumb:

Also, anyone who reads the whole thread here, will see that the issue has already been thoroughly discussed and well documented;

1. What did he actually say.
2. What did he actually mean.

JW123

Reaction score
JB can say and use what he likes, notwithstanding the fact that he's misguided and a hypocrite. I'd have more respect for him if he thought the Paul was a "sissy guitar" and didn't accept a huge endorsement deal from the Dark Side. That's what is truly annoying. Did he even bother to think about the suckers out there who paid big dough for his "Oxymoron" model? They're most likely the proud owners of a very expensive piece of wood lacking the cache for which they paid a premium now that JB disses his own model and, by implication, those who play it. If JB likes to use an easy to play, contoured, bolt-on-necked, whammy-barred piece of tree, then so be it. I'll stick to my Lester and be a very happy camper.
I love my LPs regardless of what Jeff Beck says, and I love Jeff's playing.

I dont understand him being a hypocrite, I mean he played a Les Paul on a couple of albums and also toured for a couple of years with them. Its not like he took an endorsement and never used the product. Im not able but Im glad that some folks have the cheese to buy one of his guitars. Im sure there are those that want that guitar and the fact that he doesnt play one anymore makes it even more special in my mind.

I didnt take what he said as a diss to a LP.

Thanks for this thread cause there was a lot of interesting info in there. Most of which Ive never seen before, so all sillyness or should I say sissyness aside this is a very informative thread.

Angus

Reaction score
Amen to that. One of the very few living legends out there.

There's a "classic interview" with Beck in March's GP2 where he calls Page's playing cliched and how he still gets away with it (bear in mind this was in 1975). I'm sure those two are still great mates :).

I can't view that link at the moment, but I wonder if that's the interview Mr Kossoff was referring to when he said this in 1976:

*Have you heard his new album, Blow By Blow?*

Yes.

*What do you think of that?*

I think it's good.

*That's all?*

I ain't one to be telling Beck what to play. You know what I mean because I know what Jeff Beck is like. I've read him say he can blow Jimmy Page out of the window, calling him a piece of god knows what. I thought that's a fine thing to be quoted as saying because you can do it you know, you can do it. I think Jeff Beck on that album played beautifully. But somehow I'd just like to hear him do something a little different. But I admire Beck, he's there with Green and Clapton....

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Of course it's all about the guitar you are accustomed to. Hendrix plays a flying V on the Isle of White video concert (I think it is that one), and he doesn't sound up to his usual greatness. What aspects of sloppiness he had developed by way of very forgiving single coils kind of show through on the humbuckers.
I'm sorry but that makes no sense to me. Single coils have such a stark clarity that mistakes are not hidden at all. While humbuckers can mask all manner of bad playing and technique.

LP Fan

Reaction score
JW123: I agree with you in certain respects. While JB used the product decades ago, he hasn't done so in a very, very long time. I'm sure many players know that JB is a Fender guy and that the sig is a one-off model. I don't even have a problem with him doing the endorsement since he used to play a LP. My problem is that he criticizes that guitar in print while being a paid endorser for that same, very expensive item. That's where the hypocrisy comes in, at least to me. Guitarfish is correct ... had JB not used the word "sissy," this thread likely would not exist. However, based on JB's comments, I wonder how the folks who shelled out major bucks for the sig feel now. I guess it's a matter of responsibility and, yes, integrity. If JB doesn't dig the LP anymore, that's perfectly fine. He can play the Strat and go about his business happily. He's not hurting anyone by doing that. But, hawking an exceedingly expensive axe to the public and then saying he doesn't think it's the best, may hurt the value of the sig on the secondary market. In any event, while I respect greatly JB's playing, any respect I had for him otherwise is lost. That may not be important to him, but it is to me.

planks

Reaction score
<snip>While JB used the product decades ago, he hasn't done so in a very, very long time.</snip>
All through the years Beck has used Les Pauls now and then. Sometimes live and also here and there on his albums. He played a Burst at the 2010 Grammy Awards in January, playing a long solo in the classic Les Paul composition "How High The Moon".

In June this is happening;

JEFF BECK HONORS LES PAUL WITH TWO INTIMATE SHOWS
AT NEW YORK’S IRIDIUM JAZZ CLUB
Supported by Gibson Guitar
THE IMELDA MAY BAND JOINS BECK FOR JUNE 8 & 9 SHOWS

Jeff Beck, Imelda May Honor Les Paul at the Grammys - Spinner

Jeff Beck

Rumours are that on his current tour both Oxbloods and Bursts will be played.

<snip>My problem is that he criticizes that guitar in print while being a paid endorser for that same, very expensive item.</snip>
There is no criticism. Like i posted earlier what JB actually said, and what he actually meant has already been thoroughly discussed and is well documented earlier in the thread.

Attachments

JW123

Reaction score
LP Fan

I guess all I can say is I respectfully disagree.

Take Joe Perry, he has a sig and he only plays a couple of songs on it. Does it lessen the value anymore.

Really doesnt matter much to me what Jeff says about guitars. Hes gained my respect because he really never sold out like a lot of his peers did. He coulda took the easy money many times over but instead chose to go down his own path. And if Gibson approached him with money for playing one of thier guitars on a couple of his most important albums then more power to him.

Texas Joe

Reaction score
I am not sure that I can find that statement offensive.
I don't think its a diss either. I take it that he's saying that it takes a skilled musician to get the full tonal sound from a LP which ultimately makes it a special guitar. I think its actually a compliment.

I guess an analogy would be... your everyday Joe getting in an Indy car and racing. He might be able to get the car to move but he cant "drive" the car.

LPCustom72

Reaction score
I don't think its a diss either. I take it that he's saying that it takes a skilled musician to get the full tonal sound from a LP which ultimately makes it a special guitar. I think its actually a compliment.

I guess an analogy would be... your everyday Joe getting in an Indy car and racing. He might be able to get the car to move but he cant "drive" the car.
JB raises an interesting point. Les Pauls are easy for getting a handful of sounds - usually overdriven. Those are very forgiving tones, covering lots of sloppy mistakes -- why I loved my LP years ago when first playing electrics. But there are a lot of other tones in there not always easy to find and requiring a lot more skill to manage (usually more than I have).

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
what, no outrage, no "Blackmoore disses Gibson" thread?

in principal, if we are going to rip Beck for being a "hypocrite" &#8211; aren't we being one? :rofl:

Latest Threads