Beauty of the burst book

JLMAREUIL

Reaction score
Very good warning ....:thumbs:
I have also bought many books that arrived damaged (corroded corners, ridiculous packaging ....).
The returns are not always possible, the justifications towards indelicate salesmen...a fight !!!
Always a little anxiety on receipt of the package!

ThePanda

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI...

The Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group is the current publisher of Beauty of the Burst. This is where I got my copy... I didn't want to pay scalper prices. Came boxed up nicely.

Peter Mac

Reaction score
Keep in mind the "soft cover" comes in 2 styles - solid spine and spiral spine. I bought the spiral spine so I can lay the book flat whilst open. In Australia, the Hard cover was only available with Japanese text.

LCPG282

Reaction score
I always wanted to buy a copy but never got around to get one. I have a question to those who own one though, is it better to get a hard copy or the paperback is good enough quality, the difference is about 100$ so I’m curious.
Also is The Beauty the best book to get about bursts? What about the Burst Belivers books?
I have the paperback BOTB and it's good enough for me. Also have the 5 Burst Believers books, and they complement BOTB, pics from good to not bad, sometimes with history of a particular burst and owners testimonies. Nice but only for Burst fans IMHO.

Last edited:

Archtopanimal

Reaction score
I always wanted to buy a copy but never got around to get one. I have a question to those who own one though, is it better to get a hard copy or the paperback is good enough quality, the difference is about 100$ so I’m curious.
Also is The Beauty the best book to get about bursts? What about the Burst Belivers books?
BOTB is totally rubbish for photo colours . The whole darn book are tints of orange . Ugh !

pillbug

Reaction score
Here are my three go-to's:

The Modern Era of the Les Paul Legacy 1968-2009 by Robb Lawrence

50 Years of the Gibson Les Paul by Tony Bacon

The Gibson Les Paul : The Illustrated History of the Guitar that Changed Rock by Dave Hunter

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
I have the paperback. My only gripe with the book is the pictures seem brightened, but amazing collection of guitars.

neuroy

Reaction score
Where is the hardcover version available, please ?
I already have the softcover.But its falling apart after 12 years of use. Beautiful guitars, cool information.
For me a must have book.

Last edited:

Zoli77

Reaction score
I already have the softcover.But its falling apart after 12 years of use. Beautiful guitars, cool information.
For me a must have book
For me a must have book.
Saw it on eBay.

neuroy

Reaction score
OK. Thank you.
These are in Japanese, for 150.- to 250.- bucks.

The English hardcover version is rare and expensive.

Just get the softcover. Small money, great pics and information.
Have fun with it !

moreles

Reaction score
The Modern Era of the Les Paul Legacy 1968-2009 by Robb Lawrence
Yes, for sure. Also the first volume (earlier years) of Robb Lawrence's book is excellent. Unlike other writers, he's not a psycho, over-the-top obsessive, which is a relief. I like Beauty of the Burst because it shows how most of those guitars have beautiful but not insane, OCD-pinstripe, exact-bookmatched tops. It's wonderful to see wavy, natural figure, flitch matching, and other natural effects that result from normal people using good wood and not getting psychotic about it. In this age of fake/relic/reissue guitars thart are completely over-the-top, it's refreshing to see what the actual instruments looked like. Way better, IMO, than the relentlessly similar, fussbudget stuff being "reissued" now. I'm never going to buy something titled "Burst Believers," so I can't comment on that. Sounds silly.

Archtopanimal

Reaction score
" Burst Believers " is quite daft a title , I have to concur . However , the entire series that I've bought over the years has some darn good photographs amongst it's volumes . Volume III is my favourite . The last volume had too much re-hashed added to new stuff . Gold tops would be a good volume . As for covering re-issues : that's pathetic really . Master built Replicas would be waaay better to look at . I've a good few of those I could contribute .

devin dude

Reaction score
If you can find an original hard cover copy from Rittor Music buy that.

They were published in 1996 and are hard to find now.

It has a red cover & came with a poster and book # slip of paper.

Its all in Japanese , but the paper stock and photos are 100% better than the USA versions IMO.

Latest Threads