Beauty of the burst book

Zoli77

Reaction score
I always wanted to buy a copy but never got around to get one. I have a question to those who own one though, is it better to get a hard copy or the paperback is good enough quality, the difference is about 100$ so I’m curious.
Also is The Beauty the best book to get about bursts? What about the Burst Belivers books?

ManicPete

Reaction score
On a side note, what is the best Gibson book? Is it Beauty of the Burst? I'm thinking more about the history of Gibson and/or Les Paul more than photos.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always wanted to buy a copy but never got around to get one. I have a question to those who own one though, is it better to get a hard copy or the paperback is good enough quality, the difference is about 100$ so I’m curious.
Also is The Beauty the best book to get about bursts? What about the Burst Belivers books?
The "paper back" is a little deceiving,....it's actually a thick paper,...cardboard like....and the pages are are also very thick and glossy. Great book with lots of information and detail on construction, parts, colors, and ect. With some interviews of owners as well,..like Billy Gibbons and others. More than just 'Burst pictures.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

rockstar232007

Reaction score
I really like
"The Early Years Of The Les Paul Legacy 1915-1963"
and
"The Modern Era Of The Les Paul Legacy 1968-2009"
by Robb Lawrence,
even more than TBOTB... I think:)
Have both.

Other than Vic Dapra's BBs, I have just about every book about LPs, lol.

Zoli77

Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply’s guys, ordered the BOTB, and thanks for the other suggestions also, will check them out!
When I looked it up started with ebay and there’s a bunch of offers all over the place then a lot cheaper on amazon, so now I figured it out. There’s some japanese editions going for crazy money!

Mickey B

Reaction score
I have BOTB paperback it's super high quality, pics are great. I bought mine on ebay and it is completely in Japanese. Beautiful to look at, not much use on the information front.

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its like a Playboy, all that matters is the pics, so papeerback, hard cover,would be the same

RocketKing

Reaction score
I have it and like mudface says the cover is actually thick
and well made. Just like the rest of the book.
It's very nice but my only qualm is that the pictures seem over saturated.
Way too red and orange.
So I think that could have been better.
But overall it's a nice book.
I also have the les paul legacy volumes 1 & 2.
A bit under the radar but definitely worth it to me.
I also have Sunburst by Tony Bacon.
It was my first les paul guitar book but I think the les paul legacy books are far more informative and enjoyable.
I've contemplated buying the burst believers series but I seriously doubt it would really add anything and I think it's just too expensive.
I'm curious to see the Goldtop version though when it comes out.

Last edited:

dasherf17

Reaction score
A hundred bucks difference? Go with the lesser and watch for prices to go down on the spendy one ( I'm guessing it's the hardbound one that's spendy...). Pop for that and give the lesser one to an up and coming guitar player in the family.

dasherf17

Reaction score
On a side note, what is the best Gibson book? Is it Beauty of the Burst? I'm thinking more about the history of Gibson and/or Les Paul more than photos.
...it's aaaall good! (Collector talking...I got "the Guitar Book" ,then "American Guitars" by Tom Wheeler in the '80s...I don't think AG ever made it to soft cover)

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
One note of warning- try to find a seller that will pack your book in a box with some packing material around it. Don't assume that they will use good judgement and do this automatically. As mention above by mudface, the books you're looking to buy are printed on heavy stock photographic quality coated paper and are relatively heavy. The covers are a little heavier and provide no protection from damage like a hardcoover would (although even a hardcover could have it's corners dented). I've paid a lot for some of these that were new or in like-new condition, only to receive them with one or more corners being badly damaged during shipping. Some arrived in an envelope with no padding, others arrived in envelopes that had an integral 'bubble' lining that was about the thickness of a couple of quarters and provided no protection at all to being tossed into a bin or the back of a vehicle. The worst of all though was Barnes & Noble who shipped my book in a white plastic envelope with no padding at all, and when I received it all 4 corners were badly damaged. I returned it to the local store and told the manager what happened, and requested a replacement, and when it arrived, SSDD. Returned it and found one somewhere else. Most sellers will treat them like they're a $3 paperback novel that only gets read once and then given to the local library or used to start the charcoal in your grill. Make sure the seller has free prepaid returns in the event of damage!

Last edited:

Latest Threads