Beautiful '58 burst for sale: video inside !!!

58burst

Reaction score
This is a pic of the inlays on my '58- it was actually sanded down :)mad2:) during a refret many years ago, sanding doesn't make them lighter (of course), if anything makes them darker as the rosewood can show through the more transparent portions of the plastic more.

Late 50's inlays often have a generally longitudinal "stripeyness" as seen strongly on this guitar, can be a little more swirly, which is more strongly seen on earlier 50's inlays. The color goes a bit more towards grey than white, can look different in pics. This pic makes the inlays look more white, in person they look greyish with a slight bluish tinge-

This pic shows the color more accurately as the inlays looks in person, maybe a bit on the dark side here, all depends on how the light's hitting it of course-

rykus

Reaction score
Love the reverse zebra's on your '58,it is a real beauty!

Even after all these years of the pro's pointing out tells, I still get excited about these "new" bursts and want them to be real right away.... sounded pretty good to me too, but I'm listning on my old laptop so they all sound a little less than ideal.

Thanks again guys for making us all slow down and read the fine print:dude:

CDaughtry

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If I was Lance, I would seriously consider outing the owner to clear up any impression that he was involved in this attempted scam. This wasn't one of Lance's usual product demo videos. He had his telephone number on the video, as well as his own personal email address. Clearly, the impression(whether it's true or not) was that he was going to benefit from the sale of this guitar, above and beyond being paid to make a video of it.
Giving him a pass, without an explanation, based upon the assumption that "he just doesn't really know vintage stuff" doesn't seem to be warranted.

I know and like Lance. However, I take this shit REALLY seriously. A whole industry(and a whole lot of money) is at stake.

Just one man's opinion.

CDaughtry

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just received this message from Lance via Facebook:

Lance here.. I have not been a member of the Les Paul forum in some time but signed up again today and am awaiting approval. My guys and I do our video demos at Austin School Of Music. David Sebree owns that school and they have a nice studio. David asked me and my video team as a favor to him to help him sell his 1958 Les Paul. He told us it had been authenticated by two experts and that he had owned if for many years. On his word I did the video demo. When I was contacted by my pal Joe B yesterday morning we both began looking into it. We discovered that I had been mislead and that this guitar had been the subject of a law suit at one point years earlier. I immediately removed the guitar from Youtube and let anyone know that I had told about the guitar that the guitar was no longer for sale and I let those who were interested know that we had discovered that the guitar was a fake. I had ZERO intention of misleading anyone. The guitar is obviously very nice and had fooled people in the past. As soon as I am granted access to the forum I will clear this matter up myself but if you feel like sharing this information feel free to do so. Phil at Maverick told me that he would let me know who had bought the husk from Dallas. I have not heard from him yet. It was the furthest thing from my mind to mislead anyone and I would just not do so.

I, for one, appreciate him sharing this with us!:dude:

Rich H

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Lance & Charlie. Now that statement raises two more questions. Who sold it to Dave and who authenticated it? :cool:

7gtop

Reaction score
:thumb:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZRTBnnCjKQ"]Ace Pepper Speedster amp - YouTube[/ame]

:hmm:

quite possibly.... yes

RAG7890

Reaction score
This is a pic of the inlays on my '58- it was actually sanded down :)mad2:) during a refret many years ago, sanding doesn't make them lighter (of course), if anything makes them darker as the rosewood can show through the more transparent portions of the plastic more.

Late 50's inlays often have a generally longitudinal "stripeyness" as seen strongly on this guitar, can be a little more swirly, which is more strongly seen on earlier 50's inlays. The color goes a bit more towards grey than white, can look different in pics. This pic makes the inlays look more white, in person they look greyish with a slight bluish tinge-

This pic shows the color more accurately as the inlays looks in person, maybe a bit on the dark side here, all depends on how the light's hitting it of course-

I could live with that. :wow: :wow: :wow: :thumb: :applause:

:cheers:

RAG7890

Reaction score
Most here know I am in to & really like Replicas, but entertainment value & laughs aside, I really wish we'd stop posting Replicas in this Section & indirectly helping the thieves in the industry.

This is not directed at anyone here just that we have to be sure what we are posting. :)

My 2c FWIW.

:cheers:

Ducati

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Most here know I am in to & really like Replicas, but entertainment value & laughs aside, I really wish we'd stop posting Replicas in this Section & indirectly helping the thieves in the industry.
I know what you are saying, we are giving out helpful info to the criminals, but I am grateful we can openly discuss the topic here.

This is a great example of what can happen to a "replica", once it passes into the wrong hands.

Rich H

Banned
Reaction score
And I found two other guitars with the same serial number....

7gtop

Reaction score
great research Rich :applause:

th!s one looks the part .

Rich H

Banned
Reaction score
great research Rich :applause:

th!s one looks the part .
Pity it's another replica. A friend sent me those pics and I discovered the REAL burst 9 2317 on the Les Paul Forum Vintage Guitar Registery.

7gtop

Reaction score
sure is a p!ty ...

so Dave's is the real deal

Latest Threads