Beatles, Get Back Documentary

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So, I am now hearing that there is still some hours of film/sound remaining. Peter Jackson is supposedly considering a smaller follow on, using that content.

To what end?

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Making me happy ?

They could just send me ALL of the hours of raw footage/sound. It could be a "mix your own" project.

Oh yea -- for sure!!!

This excerpt from an interview is interesting...

"He would like to release an expanded director’s cut sometime in the future, but there are no current plans to do so. At one point, Jackson’s favorite version of his “Get Back” film clocked in at 18 hours."

I'd watch every minute!

dro

Reaction score
One would assume for this crowd the scene of Lucy falling over with no one giving a second look would have been the "highlight".

Yeah That made me sick. That guitar is worth more than my house.

BigJim

Reaction score
I'll watch it with my Beatles obsessed buddy once it gets out on disc or whatever. Not paying for it, fer sure...

I'm not a huge Beatles fan, but love watching pros in the studio making songs and albums..

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can understand people thinking Paul is being too assertive and stuff at this point in their career but then I remember Brian Epstein had died and Paul was the only thing really holding the band together... maybe forcefully; but someone had to do it.
I do believe you are correct Kamen. John had abdicated his leadership
through his use of drugs, heroin more specifically, and Paul took the lead.;
he filled the vacuum left by John.

Yoko was a minor inconvenience when we add up all the other pressures placed
on these guys at the time. Ten years together and how many albums AND singles
did they write and produce?

They were workhorses and loved doing it, but, once one of them, John, give up his
lead (for various reasons) it started to go to shit.

-----------------------------------------------
And Kamen, I just read the rest of the thread after the one I am responding
to and you answered as I did. Sorry to repeat your answer.

It seems every thread about the Beatles ends up blaming Paul or Yoko and
looks little at the human dynamics at play at the time. And every time you
and I provide more history to fill in the blanks. Too many rumors and people
repeating exactly what they hear about Yoko or Paul.

Last edited:

DotStudio

Reaction score
I came out of this doc completely apathetic towards Yoko. I always figured she tried to interject while they were recording, but she just sat there quietly except for wailing like a banshee once or twice. Sure having someone else sitting there is somewhat annoying, but she was pretty much a fly on the wall 99.9% of the time. :dunno:

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It seems every thread about the Beatles ends up blaming Paul or Yoko and
looks little at the human dynamics at play at the time. And every time you
and I provide more history to fill in the blanks. Too many rumors and people
repeating exactly what they hear about Yoko or Paul.

There is quite a bit of history, rumor, facts & fiction out there. One man's fact is another's rumor. Triangulating the events that transpired in a world wehre none us have a single clue about is largely subjective. Even the four principles have differing thoughts on the journey.

The history is vague to all but those who were in the inner circle, of which none us were. Anything we offer is subject to our interpretation of the information that is in the wild, and our opinions of it.

I'd even offer the opinion that 'all of the above' is true. A little bit o' this & a little bit o' that, combined with years & miles.

This film only gives us all another window to look through. But, in and of itself, it is not much more than interesting.

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came out of this doc completely apathetic towards Yoko. I always figured she tried to interject while they were recording, but she just sat there quietly except for wailing like a banshee once or twice. Sure having someone else sitting there is somewhat annoying, but she was pretty much a fly on the wall 99.9% of the time. :dunno:

My girlfriend with big boobs and a tight body (circa 1978) was an actual distraction at band practice, Yoko was mostly a bump on a log.

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This film only gives us all another window to look through. But, in and of itself, it is not much more than interesting.
I agree with you totally BUT ....

That particular window had been shuttered over for 50 years. I knew that the window was there. I knew that it would show me stuff I wanted to see ( the "boys" actually working together.)

I've always been of the opinion that it would NOT answer the question of "what happened to the Beatles". But that did not diminish my desire to see them working on some of my favorite music ever. Between Let It Be and Abbey Road, those are two of my favorite ALBUMS ever created. And LIB had this (known) huge archive of "working" documentation, that none of us could see. Hell, I would have (originally) been satisfied if they had cleaned up the original LIB movie and re-released it. This is so much better, because it seems that Peter Jackson had less of an "agenda" against the band, and may have presented a truer "truth".

Play the McCartney 3,2,1 Series back-to-back with Get Back. It makes for a very balanced view of what Beatles were actually like.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I agree with you totally BUT ....

That particular window had been shuttered over for 50 years. I knew that the window was there. I knew that it would show me stuff I wanted to see ( the "boys" actually working together.)

I've always been of the opinion that it would NOT answer the question of "what happened to the Beatles". But that did not diminish my desire to see them working on some of my favorite music ever. Between Let It Be and Abbey Road, those are two of my favorite ALBUMS ever created. And LIB had this (known) huge archive of "working" documentation, that none of us could see. Hell, I would have (originally) been satisfied if they had cleaned up the original LIB movie and re-released it. This is so much better, because it seems that Peter Jackson had less of an "agenda" against the band, and may have presented a truer "truth".

Play the McCartney 3,2,1 Series back-to-back with Get Back. It makes for a very balanced view of what Beatles were actually like.

So much from that film was eye-opening for me. I was re-amazed.

Once in a generation, they were.

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a bit of an annoying paradox to me. When I'm trying to work on something, I'm trying to do it the best I can each time and hoping each time it's a little better. Watching them do the crazy stuff while putting it together is hugely annoying to me. I'm screaming cut the crap and get down to business. What you don't see is that they're getting it while they're being that way. When it's time to hit the button, they're good to go and the first take is a keeper. It's sort of a wow moment every time.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
seeing Ringo sitting at the piano playing and singing was eye opening. Ringo and even George to some extent get slagged because John and Paul were such monster talents, but Ringo was good and had more of a swinging groove than Pete Best, and George was GOOD,.. I think he was just so shy and humble that he lacked the ego and "look at me" quality to really put himself out there and assert himself. But songs like Something, Taxman and I,Me,Mine are great songs.

Paul is a Monster Talent and songwriter, and a bit of a ham and a goof.

John (imo) is less talented and more of a goof,.. and the drugs and distractions of hippie-life didn't do him any favors.

Paul seems to have never really slowed down or shut it off or got distracted. Even when he "quit" and became a farmer, he was still writing and playing and recording and eventually had solo albums and Wings and the Live and Let Die-James Bond soundtrack. .. hell I got his latest solo album like a year ago,.. he's still making albums.

the first time I was listening to Pauls first solo album I was talking with @bilbarstow saying how it sounds like demo songs and sort of unfinished stuff (which it sort of is),.. then Maybe I'm Amazed drops and you're hit with that Beatles-Power that Paul can really bring.

I was very surprised when I realized that Paul was actually the best singer and songwriter in the group because John Lennon gets so much attention.

Oh Darling blows me away, I can't believe the power in his vocals when he really starts belting it out...

They were one of a kind. It took me a long, long time to come around to 'getting' The Beatles,.. and it's not like I stopped listening to Slayer, Megadeth, Sepultura, Meshuggah, etc. But The Beatles have probably became my favorite band over the past few years just because of the sheer volume of work and great songs they wrote. It's hard to believe they wrote so many albums and good songs in such a short amount of time. On top of that the difference in their sound from the first 2 albums to the last 2 albums is such an incredible growth in maturity and musicianship and songwriting capability it's sort of mindblowing.

They were lightning in a bottle and no one else has really come close.

Last edited:

DotStudio

Reaction score
seeing Ringo sitting at the piano playing and singing was eye opening. Ringo and even George to some extent get slagged because John and Paul were such monster talents, but Ringo was good and had more of a swinging groove than Pete Best, and George was GOOD,.. I think he was just so shy and humble that he lacked the ego and "look at me" quality to really put himself out there and assert himself. But songs like Something, Taxman and I,Me,Mine are great songs.

Paul is a Monster Talent and songwriter, and a bit of a ham and a goof.

John (imo) is less talented and more of a goof,.. and the drugs and distractions of hippie-life didn't do him any favors.

Paul seems to have never really slowed down or shut it off or got distracted. Even when he "quit" and became a farmer, he was still writing and playing and recording and eventually had solo albums and Wings and the Live and Let Die-James Bond soundtrack. .. hell I got his latest solo album like a year ago,.. he's still making albums.

the first time I was listening to Pauls first solo album I was talking with @bilbarstow saying how it sounds like demo songs and sort of unfinished stuff (which it sort of is),.. then Maybe I'm Amazed drops and you're hit with that Beatles-Power that Paul can really bring.

I was very surprised when I realized that Paul was actually the best singer and songwriter in the group because John Lennon gets so much attention.

Oh Darling blows me away, I can't believe the power in his vocals when he really starts belting it out...

They were one of a kind. It took me a long, long time to come around to 'getting' The Beatles,.. and it's not like I stopped listening to Slayer, Megadeth, Sepultura, Meshuggah, etc. But The Beatles have probably became my favorite band over the past few years just because of the sheer volume of work and great songs they wrote. It's hard to believe they wrote so many albums and good songs in such a short amount of time. On top of that the difference in their sound from the first 2 albums to the last 2 albums is such an incredible growth in maturity and musicianship and songwriting capability it's sort of mindblowing.

They were lightning in a bottle and no one else has really come close.
The thing that completely astounds me is that they did all of that and broke up when they were all still in their 20's.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
The thing that completely astounds me is that they did all of that and broke up when they were all still in their 20's.
That realization came to me a few years ago. All those bands I really like wrote songs and made the sounds I still drool over while they were still kids.
And at 47, I’m still like I don’t know which pedal sounds best.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yeah it's hard to believe a fantastic song like Yesterday (or In My Life) were written by such young men.

there's a weariness to both those songs that's incredible to think they were written by people in their early 20's.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yeah it's hard to believe a fantastic song like Yesterday (or In My Life) were written by such young men.

there's a weariness to both those songs that's incredible to think they were written by people in their early 20's.

For sure...

Although, by then, they already had been playing 7X24 for years & years, travelled many miles and made two films, and had a lot of drama. They lived more in their lives at 20-something than many of us do over the span of many decades.

I can see where their weariness comes from.

Latest Threads