Beatles, Get Back Documentary

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Meh.

We just finished watching the first part tonight. I wanted to slice my wrists during most of it. It was largely boring AF.

But (big BUT)... watching their songs come out of the blue, from nothing to something -- was awesome. The sheer brilliance and genius of John and Paul (and to a lesser extent Ringo and George) is almost inconceivable to me. Seeing them write in real time and watching the songs evolve, take shape, and grow was so cool.

It was hard to get through it, but worth it.

TXOldRedRocker

A Variant Of Unknown Origin
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not 100% sure, but I don't think I have access to it right now. Will be available other places someday, I'm sure.

Airplane

Reaction score
I am really crazy about the late Beatles but i can imagine, if one is not, it must be boring as hell most of the time. Also the the softened images are really awful. I knew that Jackson‘s hyper modern post processing taste/style sucks orc butt but i was hoping for a appropriate look here. Quality is like an old youtube vid sometimes. Why not embrace the rawness and embrace the grain?

Anyway there are positive things about it. First of all, it’s almost 8 fucking hours of unseen Beatles footage, so i who’s gonna complain?
Then, i really started to love the Let It Be album after watching this. It has always been my least favorite post 66 album, but this movie makes you understand the beauty of it. Some of their best songs ever were created on the fly in a couple of days! That’s really mindblowing to watch.

LPSGME

Reaction score
Meh.

We just finished watching the first part tonight. I wanted to slice my wrists during most of it. It was largely boring AF.

But (big BUT)... watching their songs come out of the blue, from nothing to something -- was awesome. The sheer brilliance and genius of John and Paul (and to a lesser extent Ringo and George) is almost inconceivable to me. Seeing them write in real time and watching the songs evolve, take shape, and grow was so cool.

It was hard to get through it, but worth it.
Yeah the first half of episode 1 was a drag. But the second half got better and Episode 2 better yet in showing their real time creative process.

What became apparent though is how typical and universal that process is to anyone whose ever worked with a few people to produce and develop a song in a studio. Searching for lyrics and joaking and laughing (sometimes hysterically) at ideas and comments as things magically comes together.

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been waiting for this footage for the majority of my life. But I'm definitely a "Beatlemaniac".

Yeah, the first 40 minutes or so were slow and a little "expository" - maybe more setup for the premise of the movie that we don't really need, since we do mostly know the history.

But just about every other minute was golden, and very enjoyable to me. I loved seeing the mostly good / happy moments of them working together. And I gained new / more respect for each of them. Seeing John "work" (and his guitar playing, in isolation) really added to my appreciation. George's contribution was also brought out more fully by seeing it. And Ringo is definitely the "metronome".

Unfortunately, Ep 1 also featured a Yoko "interlude" - where they included her "singing" (the quotes are because that bore no resemblance to actual singing.) Fortunately / hopefully, they had to include it once, and kept it very short. If she warbles every episode, that will totally kill the mood.

Totally worth the cost of a Disney+ subscription, for me.

GuitarsAnn

Reaction score
I don't have access to the channel that runs it, but will watch it if I ever get free access. I grew up with the Beatles and nothing could ever be as good as watching them back in the 60s. But it would be nostalgic.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not 100% sure, but I don't think I have access to it right now. Will be available other places someday, I'm sure.
I don't have access to the channel that runs it, but will watch it if I ever get free access. I grew up with the Beatles and nothing could ever be as good as watching them back in the 60s. But it would be nostalgic.
part 1 is 'in the wild' right now. I'm sure parts 2 and 3 will be just as soon as they're aired.

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was up pretty late. My D+ only had ep 1 yesterday. Not that there aren't other ways for it to be "released" ?

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm holding off until later this evening to watch it. I try hard to NOT watch the fucking TV during the day. :laugh2:

Latest Threads