Beatles Collection

Kamen_Kaiju

Tachibana Racing Club
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You gotta get the German language recordings too, unless I overlooked those in your list.
Sie Liebt Dich, Ja Ja Ja
Got them on the Mono-Masters collection...

1591112128889.png

I really have been making an effort to get every song I can find. It's why I got the Live and Let Die soundtrack and McCartneys solo album (for Maybe I'm Amazed.)

It's funny I always thought Live and Let Die was a "Beatles" song.

I like the McCartney and Harrison solo albums I've got so far, not sure I want to collect more though. I like 'The Beatles', the solo stuff not so much.

So far I haven't heard anything Lennon did solo that makes me want to buy a record of his.

I keep thinking about buying Abbey Road and Sgt Pepper picture disks for framing. ... even though I already have multiple versions of those records. :laugh2: ...comes to think of it it would be cheaper to just buy the records again and frame them,.. instead of the picture disk. :hmm:

DotStudio

Reaction score
yes I've been really surprised how much I've come to like them and I'm enjoying learning and playing the songs.
When I first moved out to Michigan and didn't know anyone, I did a deep dive into the Beatles as well out of boredom (didn't accumulate nearly as much material as you). I was into mostly hard rock, blues, and progressive metal growing up. Really came to appreciate where a lot of it came from.

And I agree with you for the most part about Lennon vs. McCartney. I think McCartney suffers from having the audacity to grow old and become a lame grandpa, which led people to forget how brilliantly talented the guy is/was. Lennon was no slouch either though.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
So far I haven't heard anything Lennon did solo that makes me want to buy a record of his.
Plastic Ono Band is a fine album.

I think in general each of the four (even Ringo) did really good first solo albums, coming out of the Beatles with that pixie dust still clinging to them. A few years later, not so much.

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here come old flat-top, he come grooving up slowly
He got ju-ju eyeballs, he's one holy roller
He got hair down to his knees
Got to be a joker, he just do what he please
He wear no shoeshine, he's got toe-jam football
He got monkey finger, he shoot Coca-Cola
He say, "I know you, you know me"
One thing I can tell you is you got to be free
George Harrison...

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
they can get dark though, and I like that.

Was she told when she was young
That pain would lead to pleasure?
Did she understand it when they said
That a man must break his back
To earn his day of leisure?
Will she still believe it when he's dead?

And singing 'tit, tit, tit, tit, tit, tit, tit, tit' in the middle 8 section for a laugh, and getting away with it. Typical Scouse humour of the time. Me and my mates were onto it at the first time of hearing. "Can you believe what they're singing there, man!"

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Got them on the Mono-Masters collection...

View attachment 466612

I really have been making an effort to get every song I can find. It's why I got the Live and Let Die soundtrack and McCartneys solo album (for Maybe I'm Amazed.)

It's funny I always thought Live and Let Die was a "Beatles" song.

I like the McCartney and Harrison solo albums I've got so far, not sure I want to collect more though. I like 'The Beatles', the solo stuff not so much.

I keep thinking about buying Abbey Road and Sgt Pepper picture disks for framing. ... even though I already have multiple versions of those records. :laugh2: ...comes to think of it it would be cheaper to just buy the records again and frame them,.. instead of the picture disk. :hmm:
Yeah I’m with you there, the solo stuff wasn’t nearly as good much of the time.

Picture discs are pretty damn cool, but they do get expensive fast. It seems like they’ve really gone up in the past 10-15 years too. Plus the matting and what not to frame them would likely be more than
a record sleeve.

Kamen_Kaiju

Tachibana Racing Club
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I already have the frames, but the picture disks are $30. each. Trying to decide if I want them that badly.

I kind of do, but at the same time I already have two copies of Abbey Road and two copies of Sgt Pepper.

jb_abides

Reaction score
Discovering and getting into the Beatles is an epiphany. It's akin to discovering the Carlos Castaneda books.

Their music is so diverse it's like opening the door to another universe.
I am trying to think if there's anything akin to this in my experience, that an entire significant treasure trove unfolds before me... Perhaps old blues masters, but the trail back to them from the likes of the Stones or Zeppelin, et al is apparent and well marked.

The Beatles, while showing influences are just such a departure, the melange of influences can be found, but the innovation is just remarkable. Such a great leap: like the renaissance, the foundation of America, French revolution... the are really set apart.

I can't put a finger on any other musical landscape that's opened up like characterize your Beatles discovery. They were always there, seeping in...

Glad you feel this way.

I hope something reveals itself to me, there's still time!

BKS

Reaction score
I got into the Beatles via Wings....

I got the picture disc from the popup store, and got the t shirt... Hey a metalhead wearing a Beatles tshirt haha. Tote and postcards were freebees. A co worker wanted to go there too but the closed the store early so he could not get anything.
I need to find frames for these picture discs got several, Styx, Metallica, megadeth, PowerWolf, Asia, paradise lost. Lost my can i play with madness/Iron Maiden one.... So the need to go on a wall.
DSC_2851_compress9.jpg
DSC_2852_compress65.jpg

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
And singing 'tit, tit, tit, tit, tit, tit, tit, tit' in the middle 8 section for a laugh, and getting away with it. Typical Scouse humour of the time. Me and my mates were onto it at the first time of hearing. "Can you believe what they're singing there, man!"

They did it other times as well.

Day Tripper: Does Paul sing 'She's a big teaser', or 'She's a prick teaser'? Even headphones won't give you the separation to be certain...

Penny Lane: 'Four of fish and finger pie'. What!!! We were all like, 'Finger pie? How did he get away with that?' The authorities obviously never knew what that Scouse slang meant!

Kamen_Kaiju

Tachibana Racing Club
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I opted to frame 3 albums instead (I had japanese albums framed), for the price of 2 picture disks I can re-order the 3 albums I framed, so that works..

20200602_143040.jpg

20200602_143020.jpg

20200602_143029.jpg

Nice little assortment of songs under my belt now too. I think I got about 10 of them down, though I don't think I have the lyrics to any of them 100% memorized. So I play and strum and sing half the song then mumble a verse and sing the chorus again. :laugh2:

Much like CCR I find they're fun to just sit back with an acoustic and play and sing along with.

bilbarstow

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I already have the frames, but the picture disks are $30. each. Trying to decide if I want them that badly.

I kind of do, but at the same time I already have two copies of Abbey Road and two copies of Sgt Pepper.
:rofl: :applause:

two copies ? how cute.

TheWelder

Reaction score
The Beatles are by far my favorite band. Always have been, always will be. Their songwriting will never be matched, IMO.

A few years ago my wife bought me a hard cover copy of the book 'Songwriting Secrets of The Beatles.' This book is expensive, but worth every penny if you're into the Beatles and music theory. It's not light reading though. It's a thick book that reads like a college text book. Highly recommended:

The Songwriting Secrets of The Beatles

TheWelder

Reaction score
I have this book coming..

Nice - I have that one. It's great. I have a whole bunch of Beatles books. Even though a lot of them tell the same stories, more or less, I can't seem to get enough.

TheWelder

Reaction score
There was one book I had that I somehow lost (or lent to someone and never got it back). It was a song by song breakdown that discussed how the songs were written, who wrote which part (to the best of recollection), who played what instrument, whose production ideas were used, how the song was recorded, etc. As available, they would include comments from the four of band members, George Martin, Neil Aspinall, etc.

I cannot for the life of me remember the name of this book and I've never been able to find it. If anyone knows of this book, or even something similar, please let me know.

TheWelder

Reaction score

Latest Threads