Beano: Truth or Fiction

Bubbletonic

Reaction score
I have to agree with you on the recording quality vs early Fleetwood Mac, especially the mono versions. Comparing the two is similar to when you listen to a youtube video in different levels of quality, the Mac recordings are just a whole level higher. I read that Mayall wanted the album to be a live album originally so he could capture Eric's live improvising - I have the double CD version of Beano which has some live tracks on and the quality of those are even worse. I think if it had been recorded as a live album things wouldn't have played out as they have.

Bubbletonic

Reaction score
- I'm sure actually being in the room of a live Blues Breakers performance would have been fantastic and that's what Mayall wanted to capture, but the quality really isn't there on the tapes.

Smash88

Reaction score
Interview excerpt #1:
"Out From Behind The Sun: (13 April 1985) Eric Clapton Interview By Dan Forte," Best Of Guitar Player: Clapton, 1992, pp. 64-78.

"The 'best' Les Paul I ever had was stolen during rehearsals for Cream's first gig. It was the one I had with John Mayall, just a regular sunburst Les Paul that I bought in one of the shops in London right after I'd seen Freddie King's album cover of Let's Hide Away And Dance Away, where he's playing a gold-top. It had humbuckers and was almost brand new--original case with that lovely purple velvet lining. Just magnificent. I never really found one as good as that. I do miss that one."

Interview excerpt #2:

"A Tribute To Slowhand: Clapton, (1985) Interview By Dan Forte" Guitar World, December 1989 (Volume 10, Number 12), pp. 32-61, 79-80.

Guitar World: Is the Bluesbreakers-period Les Paul the one that was stolen?

[Eric] Clapton: Yes, that one was stolen during rehearsals for Cream.

GW: So you didn't use it on Fresh Cream?

Clapton: No, I borrowed a guitar for that; it was a borrowed Les Paul. I went through quite a few and until about five years ago never got one that was anywhere near the original one in terms of the neck shape and fingerboard.

GW: Both Bluesbreakers and Fresh Cream have such classic Les Paul tones. They were both played through Marshall amps; were they different types of Marshalls?

Clapton: Yeah, I think on Fresh Cream we had a bigger, 100-watt [1959 Superlead, as opposed to the 50-watt 1962 combo].

GW: Did you know that Marshall has reissued the 1962 combo as the "Bluesbreaker"?

Clapton: Did they really? How sweet. I didn't even know that. How does it sound? You know, that'd be good because I'm always looking for something to replace this Fender tweed [Twin]. You can't take it on the road; it's pretty unreliable. So to have something of that strength that would be reliable would be worth looking into.

Pretty straight forward. He remembers it, liked the neck, it was stolen and he never found a proper replacement for it. Sounds like he didn't have it long enough to form the bond that we all as fans want to believe.

major

Reaction score
Interview excerpt #1:
"Out From Behind The Sun: (13 April 1985) Eric Clapton Interview By Dan Forte," Best Of Guitar Player: Clapton, 1992, pp. 64-78.

"The 'best' Les Paul I ever had was stolen during rehearsals for Cream's first gig. It was the one I had with John Mayall, just a regular sunburst Les Paul that I bought in one of the shops in London right after I'd seen Freddie King's album cover of Let's Hide Away And Dance Away, where he's playing a gold-top. It had humbuckers and was almost brand new--original case with that lovely purple velvet lining. Just magnificent. I never really found one as good as that. I do miss that one."

Interview excerpt #2:

"A Tribute To Slowhand: Clapton, (1985) Interview By Dan Forte" Guitar World, December 1989 (Volume 10, Number 12), pp. 32-61, 79-80.

Guitar World: Is the Bluesbreakers-period Les Paul the one that was stolen?

[Eric] Clapton: Yes, that one was stolen during rehearsals for Cream.

GW: So you didn't use it on Fresh Cream?

Clapton: No, I borrowed a guitar for that; it was a borrowed Les Paul. I went through quite a few and until about five years ago never got one that was anywhere near the original one in terms of the neck shape and fingerboard.

GW: Both Bluesbreakers and Fresh Cream have such classic Les Paul tones. They were both played through Marshall amps; were they different types of Marshalls?

Clapton: Yeah, I think on Fresh Cream we had a bigger, 100-watt [1959 Superlead, as opposed to the 50-watt 1962 combo].

GW: Did you know that Marshall has reissued the 1962 combo as the "Bluesbreaker"?

Clapton: Did they really? How sweet. I didn't even know that. How does it sound? You know, that'd be good because I'm always looking for something to replace this Fender tweed [Twin]. You can't take it on the road; it's pretty unreliable. So to have something of that strength that would be reliable would be worth looking into.

So you are happy to believe what was "reportedly" (by Dan Forte) said by Clapton in 1985 (when he was contemplating suicide (his own words))......

But you are happy to ignore what he SAID(in more of his own words) in 2007....

Fair enough:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

335Reasons

Banned
Reaction score
So you are happy to believe what was "reportedly" (by Dan Forte) said by Clapton in 1985 (when he was contemplating suicide (his own words))......

But you are happy to ignore what he SAID(in more of his own words) in 2007....

Fair enough:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

1985 is closer to 1965 than 2006-7 and it was a face to face interview. His autobiography was compiled from many sessions and I doubt he paid much attention to the final script before it was published.

SuiteAmpCo

Reaction score
I remember reading...now don't shoot me here, I read this somewhere, its not me making this up. That a day or 2 into the sessions for beano a tech or somebody saw clapton's uncovered pups and got all excited because he had made a custom of uncovered pups too. He begged eric to put them in the guitar and eric said let's try it. Eric liked the sound and recorded 2 or 3 songs with the pups. They were then switched back so the guy could continue tweaking on them and recording the alum continued. Can't remember who made the pups, there was some sorta name the guy had for them though.
Sorry to add to rumors and conjecture but that is what I read, can't tell you where, may have been in a guitar mag. It may have come from the guitar legends clapton edition mag. I have a appetite for reading this sorta thing and it all gets jumbled after a while.

major

Reaction score
1985 is closer to 1965 than 2006-7 and it was a face to face interview. His autobiography was compiled from many sessions and I doubt he paid much attention to the final script before it was published.

Yup. What he (reportedly) said in a suicidal state when he was in recovery fits in with the myth - so it must be right.

What he says now (now he regained his sanity), and makes a mockery of the myth, MUST be b*ll*x.

Yeah right. And if he's made of wood, he must be a witch.....

whooooooooooooooooo:wave::wave::wave::wave:

major

Reaction score
You believe what you choose to believe.......

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_l5ntikaU"]monty python-witch scene - YouTube[/ame]

Nigel Tufnel's tech

Reaction score
You believe what you choose to believe.......

20090428img0001bmikro_1.jpg

Eric left with his guitar but not the amp,....well that's what i believe.

planks

Reaction score
For anyone interested in some more various sources with info about what happened to Eric Clapton's 'Beano' Les Paul, here is a simple search as starting point beano les paul stolen cream rehearsal - Google-søgning

Or you could buy the one book that is repeatedly mentioned here and tell yourself that all the other sources and everything we been told the last 45+ years (including what Clapton has said about it himself) about what happened to the 'Beano' Les Paul is not true. For anyone who is not into trolling, the choice should be simple.

major

Reaction score
20090428img0001bmikro_1.jpg

Eric left with his guitar but not the amp,....well that's what i believe.

That's cool. So Eric Clapton, according to you, is a f***ing liar.

It it fairly obvious that if he left the axe behind, he would have left an amp behind as well. The letter proves NOTHING about the guitar. Hello??:wave::wave:

PS. Here's a tip. NEVER believe hand written "provenance" like the example above. Or indeed, anything handwritten. It is the easiest thing in the world to forge - or simply make up. There are some big-money "autographed" albums hanging on Hard Rock Cafe walls that have never been within a hundred miles of the signatories. Sadly, that didn't stop the bidders at Sotherbys......

Nigel Tufnel's tech

Reaction score
That's cool. So Eric Clapton, according to you, is a f***ing liar.

It it fairly obvious that if he left the axe behind, he would have left an amp behind as well. The letter proves NOTHING about the guitar. Hello??:wave::wave:

PS. Here's a tip. NEVER believe hand written "provenance" like the example above. Or indeed, anything handwritten. It is the easiest thing in the world to forge - or simply make up. There are some big-money "autographed" albums hanging on Hard Rock Cafe walls that have never been within a hundred miles of the signatories. Sadly, that didn't stop the bidders at Sotherbys......

Oh, you're one of those type of posters, I ain't saying Eric's a liar, only the publishers got it wrong. You are the one calling people such as Bernie Greenwood and Ben Palmer a liar. as they were in the band and helped get back the gear.

..P.S never believe everything you read in Autobiography's :rolleyes:

River

Reaction score
Damn, major! You're tearing it up! I'll bet you've even convinced someone...somewhere.

major

Reaction score
Oh, you're one of those type of posters, I ain't saying Eric's a liar, only the publishers got it wrong. You are the one calling people such as Bernie Greenwood and Ben Palmer a liar. as they were in the band and helped get back the gear.

..P.S never believe everything you read in Autobiography's :rolleyes:

Yeah right. I'm one of those posters.

Like, you're not????

So Clapton is such an arse that he didn't read and authorise his own autobiog?? What a wanker....He's wrong and YOU are right!!!! Go to the top of the frigging class.....

Just remember, don't sail too close to the edge of the Earth - you'll fall off.

Have it your way, mate.:lol::lol::lol:

major

Reaction score
Damn, major! You're tearing it up! I'll bet you've even convinced someone...somewhere.

It's a forum site, mate. Folks do this sh*t when there's nothing better...:)

335Reasons

Banned
Reaction score
IMHO this thread should be locked like the other one from beanx. We are trying to have a civilized exchange of FACTS not assumptions. It is not often that people come forward with evidence in forums and MLP is one of them. Where are you from major anyway? That will be easy to answer, you should know

Bubbletonic

Reaction score
I'm seriously confused as to what you're trying to do here. You believe that all journalists make up stories and twist words in interviews just for fun? But yet the Clapton book which a ghost writer cobbled together from things Eric said is gospel?

Let me get my tin foil hat out because I can see where this is going, aliens gave that guitar to Eric and then took it back again after the sessions.

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
The 4 or 5 personal examples I have had with journalists are like this: They do not understand the subject matter they report on. OR, they intentionally cook a story to get the intended outcome.

If I do not understand a subject and use notes to rewrite the story "in my own words" things get distorted and the original intent of the person or persons I interview is not quite correct.

The last people I would ever trust are journalists. No matter what the subject. Not that they are always dishonest, it is just that they do not seem to know anything OTHER than being a journalist.

But these seems to be the facts: either of the two Les Pauls possibly used on the Beano album are long lost. It matters not which one it is because neither of them are around, and no one is claiming they hold either Les Paul.

Whether the Les Paul that was lost, stolen, left behind in Greece, or if it returned and was later stolen after the Beano sessions, or if another Les Paul was used, and then subsequently stolen does not change the fact that SOME Les Paul was on the Beano album.

Why does it matter if the one 1960 Les Pauls was lost before the Beano album, and another was used and later stolen during the Cream album or if ONE SINGLE Les Pauls was used on both the Beano album that was then stolen during the making of the Cream album?

I guess it only matters to the people who were there and involved and KNOW the story.

And sure, it is possible that Eric Clapton could be a liar, why not? So could any and/or all the journalists. It could also be that Eric recalls details differentlly through the years. I know damned well I sure do!

There are PLENTY of small details in my life I have gotten mixed up. When comparing old stories with friends and family it is amazing how differently the same event is recalled. We do not call each other liars.

Even eye witness accounts are most unreliable in court cases.

cynic79

Reaction score
Yup. What he (reportedly) said in a suicidal state when he was in recovery fits in with the myth - so it must be right.

What he says now (now he regained his sanity), and makes a mockery of the myth, MUST be b*ll*x.

Yeah right. And if he's made of wood, he must be a witch.....

whooooooooooooooooo:wave::wave::wave::wave:

I wasn't aware that being suicidal made a person a compulsive liar. Fascinating.

Latest Threads