Beano pot being stirred again by Guitarist magazine

goldtop0

Reaction score
Because Beano has a double white and double black with a plaintop, wouldn’t that make it a 58 or early 59 ?

Could be an early '60 with that configuration as the white pups were used mid- later in '59(or substituted sporadically if black bobbins were in short supply) if I recall correctly.
Definitely not in '58 though.

Last edited:

Phil W

Reaction score
The sound of an electric guitar on a recording is a combination of:

Guitar.
Strings.
Player.
Amplifier (especially in the Bluesbreakers context!)
Mixing desk.
Recorder.
Playback device.

How come no-one is desperate to trace the Marshall combo Eric used or the desk etc. The guitar is just one end of the signal chain and E.C could have done those recordings with many other guitars with the same result.

Beano is historically interesting but not the one guitar to rule them all!

goldtop0

Reaction score
How come no-one is desperate to trace the Marshall combo Eric used or the desk etc.
There are less pics of his combo and it's quite a unique beast that has been forged too many times by unscrupulous persons and incorrectly in that it's known to be a JTM45 chassis in the Ken Bran custom made cabinet.
There is an ongoing search for it but so far only the fakes have come to fruition unfortunately.

ThePanda

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are less pics of his combo and it's quite a unique beast that has been forged too many times by unscrupulous persons and incorrectly in that it's known to be a JTM45 chassis in the Ken Bran custom made cabinet.
There is an ongoing search for it but so far only the fakes have come to fruition unfortunately.
Really?! I thought it was a 5F6a design that got "Marshall'd", turned into a combo, and eventually became the JTM45.

Any leads or ideas on what it was?

goldtop0

Reaction score
Really?! I thought it was a 5F6a design that got "Marshall'd", turned into a combo, and eventually became the JTM45.

Any leads or ideas on what it was?

My post is about Eric's 1962 combo that was a 'one off' and made for him following his return from Greece in October '65.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is the guitar such a big deal when Eric stopped playing Gibson decades ago ? At the end of the day , it’s still just a slab of wood with steel strings . And people pay stupid money for a repro for various reasons but at the end of the day that too will not make you play better or be the real thing .
you ain't from around here are you?

Quoitsman

Reaction score
I have said article. If anyone is interested in reading it I can post screen shots here, if that's not in breach of any forum rules?

ThePanda

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have said article. If anyone is interested in reading it I can post screen shots here, if that's not in breach of any forum rules?
Which article? I don't think it is not against the rules. I can't find the rules tho...

Quoitsman

Reaction score
Which article? I don't think it is not against the rules. I can't find the rules tho...
The OP started the thread because Guitar Player have done an article about Beano. I'm a subscriber so I can share the article.

RyanC

Reaction score
Remind me how anyone knows a given burst is really Beano when all the known pics are less than detailed and not even EC can remember the serial number?

58 special

Reaction score
Who's to say that the guitar wasn't stolen sold and then resold any number of times shortly after first theft.
Wasn't a seriously valuable guitar at the time. First guy got his $100 bucks.
The guitar may have been in circulation since shortly after its theft.

goldtop0

Reaction score
Who's to say that the guitar wasn't stolen sold and then resold any number of times shortly after first theft.
Wasn't a seriously valuable guitar at the time. First guy got his $100 bucks.
The guitar may have been in circulation since shortly after its theft.

If a brit muso had somehow acquired it at that time(or even any number of years later) EC would for sure been alerted to the fact that a fellow musician had it.......if it was in the hands of a joe public and made it overseas(which is what is suspected may have happened) we're up to present day with it.......none the wiser.......but only known about by one or two aficionados who for one reason or another don't want to divulge its whereabouts or....... who actually has it in their possession.

Quoitsman

Reaction score
I thought it was interesting that they came back for the case. Probably tried to sell it on and got told it'd be worth more with the original case. For the thief to track Eric to another venue it must have been someone who knew music or was close to the scene, rather than some chancer who wandered past and saw the guitar.

I would imagine it dissappeared into the secondhand/stolen goods market of the UK. If there were probably less than a dozen in circulation in the UK at the time it would have held value and I doubt anyone would have gone to the effort of sending it back to the states, where there was a much larger supply of these guitars.

JMT Guitars

Reaction score
I thought it was interesting that they came back for the case. Probably tried to sell it on and got told it'd be worth more with the original case. For the thief to track Eric to another venue it must have been someone who knew music or was close to the scene, rather than some chancer who wandered past and saw the guitar.

I would imagine it dissappeared into the secondhand/stolen goods market of the UK. If there were probably less than a dozen in circulation in the UK at the time it would have held value and I doubt anyone would have gone to the effort of sending it back to the states, where there was a much larger supply of these guitars.
But it was stolen with the strap and case which clearly identify it as Claptons, this makes me think it would have been quite easy to ID as Claptons yo any potential buyer- the demand for these instruments was very, very limited in London 1966- anyone who would buy one of them would have been a musician and would have known what it was and certainly knew who clapton was. This would then suggest this guitar would have been passed around from then on from buyer to buyer as Claptons guitar- I would imagine it stayed in and around Southern England for at least 20 years- I would hazard that it crossed the pond when demand for these guitars skyrocketed in the 90s and early 00s.

AML

Reaction score
Maybe Peter Green nicked it from 'God' for shitz-n-gigglez and then gave it away? Again.

Latest Threads