Beano pot being stirred again by Guitarist magazine

JMT Guitars

Reaction score
So it seems that the guys over at Guitarist magazine (the ones who got Joe B to make the... ahem... comments about Beano's location back in 2016) have decided to kick the hornets nest again and dedicate this months issue to the trail of the Beano Burst. There's no new evidence come to light or anything, just an article about what we all already know so far. So here I go jumping into the shit pit with them.

Beano burst. Opinions, facts, heresay, rumours, dogged ignorance, apathy, I want it all in the thread below

I think we can all agree that it still exists somewhere, by and large these guitars dont't get lobbed in the bin, and no matter where you stand on stolen items after such a long period of time, it is shameful to be in possession of knowingly stolen items and keep it to yourself.

So lets have at it. Speculation is fun, stirring the shit pot is fun, we will likely never really know 100% but it is one of the great mysteries left to solve and imho it would be the morally right thing to do to bring it to light before Eric passes away, but thats just me.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Joe B "knows" that the Beano Burst is in the hands of a prominent collector on the East Coast, presumably someone he knows well enough to confide in him that level of sensitive information. I think the answer is right there, if you just connect the dots.

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
Question: if Beano was a '59 or '60 production line LP Standard that cost under $300 at the time, and the top was rather plain, how come people have paid in excess of $30,000 for the repros? Why can't any John Doe take a brand-new plain-topped cherry sunburst Standard and call it "Beano"? I think it's a fair question. I know Eric is a great musician, but I haven't seen him with a Gibson in nearly fifty years. The last time I recall was a grim-looking EC holding an Explorer in a magazine ad for Music Man amplifiers.

I know where Beano is. It's on the middle shelf of my medicine chest and I take a couple whenever I get takeout from Taco Bell. As for the guitar, I'm not interested. I'd rather know what happened to Amelia Earhart, Jimmy Hoffa and the Zodiac Killer.

guitarbob123

Reaction score
There's a good two/three people other than Joe B on the 'other forum' who purport to know of the Beano Burst's location and it's serial number, I fully believe they're telling the truth.

I also believe it's not coming out into the open until Clapton and the current owner(s) are gone from this planet, look at the fuss caused by other famous bursts (Redeye/Ed King burst, Montrose/Moore burst, the guy from Jefferson Starship etc.)

If Clapton was that bothered I'm sure he has the contacts and funds to recover it so it's kind of funny that anyone is worried but better not to parade certain things. I'd imagine a lot of it's value to its current owner is also wrapped up in the mystique around it's whereabouts and the exclusivity/control in that info (my personal conjecture)

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Clapton cares much. I wonder if he'd even recognize it now.

I, on the other hand, would love to see it resurface. But I agree with the above poster that it is very unlikely until all the chief players in the story are dead and gone.

goldtop0

Reaction score
Yes it's a mysterious thing the Beano and there's the same debate going on again on the LPF because of the latest Guitarist article.............it's never ending :laugh2:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ask Vic DaPra.

JMT Guitars

Reaction score
There's a good two/three people other than Joe B on the 'other forum' who purport to know of the Beano Burst's location and it's serial number, I fully believe they're telling the truth.

I also believe it's not coming out into the open until Clapton and the current owner(s) are gone from this planet, look at the fuss caused by other famous bursts (Redeye/Ed King burst, Montrose/Moore burst, the guy from Jefferson Starship etc.)

If Clapton was that bothered I'm sure he has the contacts and funds to recover it so it's kind of funny that anyone is worried but better not to parade certain things. I'd imagine a lot of it's value to its current owner is also wrapped up in the mystique around it's whereabouts and the exclusivity/control in that info (my personal conjecture)
I fully believe they are telling the truth. We all know there is very much an inner circle of burst collectors who know all of these guitars very intimately and I have no reason to doubt what they are saying. I do take issue with the attitude of we know where it is but we wont say because we actually know that it is wrong for us to have it. Im sure Clapton doesnt really want it back- if he wanted a gibson so badly he would have got one afterward but after a while he moved on, and for sure now he would just auction it off for his charity- which is imho a FAR better option than some rich guy who has too many bursts already dribbling at it all alone in his basement or something.

The main reason we dont know anything about beano is because its being kept hush-hush by people who are shit scared their KNOWINGLY ill gotten gains may come to bite them in the ass. Im gonna take a leap and say the person who bought if for SURE knows it was beano. I highly doubt they bought it just thinking it was another burst- the person who originally stole it would have for sure passed it on with a whisper of "this guitar was Clapton's". It says a lot about someones character to buy knowingly stolen property and just keep it on the downlow. This guitar A) rightfully belongs to Eric and B) shouldnt be kept in a dungeon for the pleasure of one person. Lots of people dislike Joe B for having too many vintage and rare instruments but at least the guy plays them and takes them all over the world for people to hear. I go to a show to see the guitars as much as I go to hear Joe.

JMT Guitars

Reaction score
I'd be more excited to see Bloomfield's resurface, or McCartney's bass. Or a fully-authenticated Moderne.
I have never been that into Bloomfield, hell of a player obviously but like I just feel like the bluesbreakers album is such a turning point (I mean I'm british so yeh I am biased)

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
yeah but the thing is, you can't sell it, or you'd have to only sell it to those would would have to be sworn to secrecy. It's like if you stole the Mona Lisa, wtf ar eyou going to do with it? It's pointless IMHO.

Here's footage obtained secretly when the Beano burst was last sold to one of these secret buyers of the transaction which are sworn to secrecy.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
was it '66 when it was stolen? back then when it was stolen, 59's weren't a thing though were they? not the collectable icons they are now, yeah they were pricey, and a few english lads used them because their American blues heroes played them. but the price was not more than a current standard sells for. i just find it hard to imagine it being stolen to be shipped out to America. Esp if you look at the age of alleged owner. I suspect he was sold a fake by someone with enough knowledge of the original to pull the wool. as for the original theft, most thieves are opportunists with not a lot of sense when it comes to getting shot of what they just nicked. I think its probably still in U.K. and probably been ruined in an attempt to hide the fact its stolen. I think the cohen brothers should write a screen play about it. kinda like no country for old men meets the pink panther with a bit of fargo characterisation in it. Ltdave can play the police chief investigating the disappearance and subsequent discovery on the east coast. Joe B can have a cameo as a cat burgling ‘59 hoarder by day and struggling blues musician by night.

Last edited:

goldtop0

Reaction score
Yep stolen from a Cream practice in mid '66 but it was Keith Richards and after that Clapton that started the ball rolling with these Standards........and Mike Bloomfield in the USA.
The LP / Marshall combination('66 Beano album) was the clincher for us British Commonwealth folk.

Latest Threads