Beano Boost?

neoclassical

Reaction score
Does anyone here own a Beano Boost? What's good and bad about it? I've narrowed down my choices to the AM Beano, Black Cat War Pig (good price but $33 to ship from England), Fulltone Ranger (I like the bias option), or if I have $$ when they drop R2R.

The main question is, does it Iommi? Do it doom?

Owntone

Reaction score
Sorry, I can’t doom or Iommi but I own the Fulltone Ranger - OC75 version. I really like it. It’s the most flexible RM that I’m aware of on the market. The single dial on the pedal really sums it up. That Mid setting is like a wah mid sweep. Usual Fulltone quality in design and construction.

I think it’s a great RM. I use the RM1 setting most - but I go for a lower drive sound.

TrippyStormtrooper

Reaction score
I loved my Beano both times I owned it. Only got rid of it because I don't use a treble boost too often. But it was brilliant.

neoclassical

Reaction score
Sorry, I can’t doom or Iommi but I own the Fulltone Ranger - OC75 version. I really like it. It’s the most flexible RM that I’m aware of on the market. The single dial on the pedal really sums it up. That Mid setting is like a wah mid sweep. Usual Fulltone quality in design and construction.

I think it’s a great RM. I use the RM1 setting most - but I go for a lower drive sound.
Have you used the bias pot inside? How does it change the tone/feel?

Owntone

Reaction score
I haven’t. I’ll try to give it a shot by Monday evening and report back. Full kitchen remodel since Friday morning...it never goes how you think it will.

neoclassical

Reaction score
I was there 3 years ago when we moved to be next to my grandmother. We're still adding to that "perfect kitchen." Thank you and good luck.

VegasGuitar

Reaction score
In front of a vintage Marshall 50w Plexi, it just rocks as a lead boost! Highly recommend, but as always, YMMV!!

Owntone

Reaction score
Just tried the bias pot. I played my Gibson CS R4 & Huber Custom Orca ‘59. I went back and forth on the bias settings with various pickups. The Orca has a split (tap?) so I had a representation of single coil, P90 & HB.

Overall, at the gain settings I play, it’s not an extreme change.

Clockwise from 12:00 to 2:00 it’s “spitty”...similar to the bias control on a fuzz. Past 2:00 to around 6:00 it’s soft clipping & mimics the Range Master along with the other modes provided. Past 6:00 back around to 12:00 it gets into harder clipping. At the extreme clockwise setting I could hear more accentuation in the upper midrange. Especially with humbuckers. With higher gain settings from the amp it was a more pronounced change.

I think the reason it’s not very drastic going from soft clipping to hard clipping is due to the nature of the effect. It’s boosting certain frequencies so the change is more subtle.

That’s my 2 cents. As always YMMV. Hope it helps.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
I have an early Beano.
It's quite a pedal.
Must use a battery...way too noisy with a power supply.
You have to be ready to play loud...the amp must be breaking up pretty good before the pedal can do its thing.
It's very wild and wooly...like driving a funny car...it's NOT a subtle effect.
Even with a small-ish amp like a 5E3 deluxe, it'll slice the heads off patrons at a club gig.
I'd love to have a context for using it...but I just can't play that loud.
It will, though, sound very cool after an OD pedal.
I've had a TS9 for years that I never particularly liked, but it sounds amazing with the BB after it.
As for Iommi and Doom...?
I'm not qualified to comment.
It'll do Marc Bolan!
There is some doubt whether EC actually used a Rangemaster, so the Beano thing may be a misnomer, but Beano-ish tones are available with the pedal.

neoclassical

Reaction score
I've got a War Pig amp top unit with the Sabbath mod being built right now. I couldn't find one with an OC44 or OC71 for a decent price and as much as I liked the Beano and Ranger, I couldn't bring myself to spend over $200.

The seller seems to really stand behind his work, if I don't like it he will refund me AND pay shipping back to the UK. He also built one for Iommi.

Brek

Reaction score
Rumour has it EC did not use a treble boost on the beano sessions. A lot off people think he did. Engineer on the sessions says not.

monstruo_loco

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Beano, mini Beano, and a Sunlion (TIUK & Beano), so I do like it and it does help with getting sounds a lot of the ‘60s and ‘70s British rockers are known for, but I rarely use it at home because it doesn’t really work well in bedroom volume settings.
Most of the time I use something like a Bad Bob by AM or the Elephant Man by Lovepedal to boost my signal and that works well at home and smaller settings along with favorite dirt & fuzz pedals.
Just my experience with it.

neoclassical

Reaction score
Rumour has it EC did not use a treble boost on the beano sessions. A lot off people think he did. Engineer on the sessions says not.
I agree, that sounds like just a cookin' Marshall and Clapton's hands. I'd be surprised if there was any pedal in front of that amp.

jlee

Reaction score
That Warpig looks amazing! Crazy good price too!

I have a BSM that I got for a good price. Love it. Only Rangemaster clone I’ve hung onto out of a couple Beanos, a /13 and a few others.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I love the Beano, but its main use is turning a tweed Princeton into a vintage Marshall that doesn't destroy neighborhoods, and even then, usually just with the LP. My JCM 800 doesn't really need a treble boost. ;)
But I've never had any problems with it, and the toggle does make it easy for using it with the Strat as well, when I really want it to breathe fire.

Latest Threads