BC Rich Mockingbird-Still One of My Favorite Guitars Since the 80's!

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Love 'em or hate them, the BC Rich Mockingbird is still one of my all time fav's courtesy of Slash...! I do prefer the Special X model over my STC model with the Les Paul knob layout(there's the LP layout, and the inverted LP layout which I believe were China made). This particular Special X is the Korean made neck through model from 2008.
I've played the Chinese models but the two I have played weren't all that great IMO.

Attachments

NotScott

Reaction score
They were the shiznit back in the early 80s. I rather regret never buying one when I had the chance.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
I really dig that triple pickup but all 3 are just great!! And all 3 of yours have the correct knob layout and not the weird one where the neck volume is too close to the bridge pickup.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always liked the Mockingbird and the Bich.
The Ironbird and Warlock, IMHO, just went too far into the "stage makeup" category.
Always wanted a Rich Bich Doubleneck.

Gitter

Reaction score
I really dig that triple pickup but all 3 are just great!! And all 3 of yours have the correct knob layout and not the weird one where the neck volume is too close to the bridge pickup.
Thanks! These are fun guitars to tweak. I switched out the knobs on all of them, pickups, rings, etc.. The 3 pickup originally had 3 covers. A previous owner pulled them off and I added the chrome rings. One day I may go tripple cream on that one and give it the Ace Frehley treatment. I agree about the knob placement. I don't know what the hell they were thinking when they moved the controls forward.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Thanks! These are fun guitars to tweak. I switched out the knobs on all of them, pickups, rings, etc.. The 3 pickup originally had 3 covers. A previous owner pulled them off and I added the chrome rings. One day I may go tripple cream on that one and give it the Ace Frehley treatment. I agree about the knob placement. I don't know what the hell they were thinking when they moved the controls forward.
LOL so you know what I'm talking about with that weird knob placement! Speaking of tweaking them, I ended up installing a Gibson 500T in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. The only thing I don't like currently is the controls. Eventually I'll upgrade those because with the volumes, they're either on or off. I prefer taper. I think the Ace Frehley thing would be bad ass on your triple pup guitar.

Thinking about selling my STC M-Bird because it has the Floyd on it and I'm not a fan....

Last edited:

Gitter

Reaction score
LOL yeah, what a silly thing. Were they marketing those to the strat volume swell market? :dunno:

I love the 500T. That seems like a perfect match for these guitars. It must roar! I have a Duncan Distortion set in the black one, and a Duncan JB in the bridge of the 2 pickup cherry sunburst. I actually left the 3 pickups stock in the 3 pup. It surprisingly sounds great . If/when I give it the Ace Frehley treatment I'll go with the 3 DiMarzio super distortions.

I also had an ST and sold it for the same reason. It was a great guitar but I'm not a Floyd user and prefer 22 frets...

fwydii9pysrknf5ttqyx.jpg

motowntom

Reaction score
As a teen I drooled over a poster I had of an early model in natural with Dimarzios, right next to my Stevie Nicks poster.
Cheers

sparky2

Reaction score
Rick Derringer was my first guitar hero.
And he played a Mockingbird in the late 1970's.

It took me a lifetime, but I finally own one.

I can't why it is I needed it, but it's a tribute, I guess.
Plus, it's a bad-ass guitar that plays really nice and sounds fantastic.

First humbucking guitar with coil tap that I have EVER played that can sound like a Fender when you employ that feature.

So anyway, mine is the 2016 BC Rich Mockingbird Mk5.
:)

Dark Horse

Reaction score
Got a Warlock and it's awesome, surprisingly great clean tones. Would love to get the Mockingbird ST Legacy, BC Rich can be hard to come by down here.

Latest Threads