BB2 magnet swap. What is the original Magnet?

DADGAD

Reaction score
I decided to swap the Magnet from a set of Non original pickups that came with my Page when I got it. The neck was a BB2(8.11k) and the bridge is an unknown 4 conductor BB at about 7.88k. Both are wax potted and I wanted to try putting in some rough cast AL3 magnets I got from addiction FX. My question is: what Alnico magnets come in a BB2? It looks polished. Alnico 2's most likely? I thought stock burstbuckers were potted and aftermarket were not, or do I have this backwards. My guitar came from Japan so it is likely it could be a Japanese market BB.

photo-168.jpg
[/IMG]

formula73

Reaction score
Should be A2, if it's stock. A5s only come in the BBV/Pro.

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
If they are polished, then Gibson must have changed specs recently. Bursburker 1 2 and 3s USED to come with rough cast A2s. I know that in 2006 Gibson switched back from PE wire to poly again in their Burstbuckers and even their 57 Classics have poly now. TO SAVE MONEY. They even have the wire dyed purple (poly is normally clear) so it LOOKS like PE. So it would not surprise me if Gibson switched to polished magnets, because they are cheaper.

LtKojak

Reaction score
If they are polished, then Gibson must have changed specs recently. Bursburker 1 2 and 3s USED to come with rough cast A2s. I know that in 2006 Gibson switched back from PE wire to poly again in their Burstbuckers and even their 57 Classics have poly now. TO SAVE MONEY. They even have the wire dyed purple (poly is normally clear) so it LOOKS like PE.

In the notes I've taken from all BBs that came through my workbench (the oldest date march 2008, so the oldest p'up must've been not older than 2005, I presume), all of them had polished magnets, A2 the BBs, A5 BB Pros.

HTH,

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting. I know the BBs came out in 1996 for the Japanese market only. They were upset that they had polished magnets (like the 57 Classic had/have) so Gibson, at one point went with rough cast for the BBs. By the time they were introduced to the US market with the Gary Moore guitar in 2000, they had rough cast magnets. The BB 2/3 combo was used in the 2001 and 2002 R8 Custom Authentics and the BB 1/2 combination was used in the 2002 R9. In 2003 all R7, R8, R9 and R0 had the BB 1/2. All the ones I have removed covers from had rough cast magnets (that was a way to distinguish them from 57 Classics in the case of a missing white tag at the time).

There was a time when the ones that came in guitars were wax potted and the aftermarket ones did not. But I think that has gone out the window through the years.

My core knowledge and interest lies in the Gibson 1980-2005 range. I have owned so very few outside this range.

I have never owned a Les Paul with BB pros! Once I moved to Historics I never went back to USA models, and that happened way before BB pros were the mainstay for certain USA Les Paul models. I have owned a few sets of loose BB Pros however.

It would make sense that Gibson went back to polished magnets for their BBs. It does not make finacial sense to stock both polished and cast magnets. Factories streamline their operations whenever they can.

LtKojak

Reaction score
It would make sense that Gibson went back to polished magnets for their BBs. It does not make finacial sense to stock both polished and cast magnets. Factories streamline their operations whenever they can.

Yes, unless you make things in batchs. Every batch has the components listed to acquire'em cheapest. That could explain the difference in magnets.

If you look at Gibson in the last five years, almost every guitar model, even the old ones are made in batches. They call'em "Limited Edition". ;)

This is sheer speculation in my part, mind you.

HTH,

siempreyo

Reaction score
what would be the difference between rough and polished magnet

Latest Threads