BB’s to WIZZ help

Niilopi

Reaction score
Hey. Got a -07 R9 which had bb1 and 2 on it stock. I loved their controllability and sound but i heard my friends throbaks and heard they had something more so i went on a hunt. Got these WIZZ pafs from my friend with a4 mags.

Im having a problem now with the neck pickup being way too bassy. So i have to lower it to around 6mm from the strings. First of all it looks rediculous and it gets not so clear sounding. So if i lift it its too bassy if i lower it its not clear. So i take up the polepieces they help a bit but not too much.

The bridge is also a bit weird in normal height (2-3mm from free strings) its like a killer machine way too much distortion too early. So i had to lower that too under the pickup rings which is weird.

These are 7.4k and 8.5k.

Any tips to get this thing working for me? Im using a jtm45 amp which is pretty bassy.

alnico59

Reaction score
Replace the magnet in the neck with an A5 and they should balance better.
Did you try turning the tone on the bridge pickup down to 6-5? Or the volume to 8-9?

Mr Alarm

Reaction score
Oh man. Sorry to hear. Guitars are individuals, even the ”best pickups in the world” don’t sound good in every guitar.

Ask from the Wizz if he’s got an answer. I suppose he is the one who should be most interested in the satisfaction of a client.

If he is not, move on. Or back to Bb’s. I hope You didn’t sell them!

Swapping magnets to some of the priciest pickups in the market sounds like buying a Ferrari and then swapping a motor in it. It is the winder’s job.

I used to swap pickups (and mags and pots and wires) a lot when I had a LP STD ’91. Tens of them, cheap and pricey. Always boomy neck pu or something else wrong. Then I got a R8 with sounds good with every pickups I put in it.

Stopped swapping, started playing. (Electric City Pickups RD59 Hybrids, nowadays called Freedom.)

ARandall

Reaction score
Sending pickups back just to change something modular like magnets is just silly. To correctly use the (rather inappropriate) Ferrari analogy its like putting on new tyres to suit the individual tarmac you have in your country - what any decent owner would do. Any decent guitar repair place will do the swap if you don't want to
Some people seem to think winders have both perfect predictive ability and omniscience. They don't. They make a product and hope that it suits what you want to hear.
One thing that is true is that no two guitars are quite alike. The more a pickup gets toward PAF clone territory, the more finicky it seems to become. My stock wizz didn't suit in the #1 burst clone I have.....but the vintage wire wizz do. Not a huge difference but it was just enough.

If I was in this situation, an UOA5 magnet for the bridge and an A3 for the neck would be my mag swap choice.

Niilopi

Reaction score
Hey thanks for your replies. I fiddled around and asked mr wizz for some clues and got a reply with some heights to try 5-6mm and 2-3mm. I also dialed more from my amp and propably that was a bit too bassy too. On the jtm theres a huge bass difference from 0-3 so i tought it was pretty low when it was actually pretty boosted.

Now i settled at around 4mm neck and 2-3mm bridge. Seems to be sounding alrite now atleast with bedroom volumes. Well see how it changes when going to rehersal volumes later on this week. Now the heights even look normal.

Mr Alarm

Reaction score
This is good to hear. Adjusting is important in every phase of the signal.

I was doubtful about the mag swap because 2 reasons:

– Many pickup builders use their own parts, not just any spare Stew Macdonald plates or mags. I don’t know does the Wizz use same alloy to his mags as the spare mag seller.

– Wizz’s are not PAF’s but if I were buying used pickups for over 100$ – and the seller says he/she has opened the covers and changed some magnets I would not like to pay very much for them. Many of us players are skilled people and know what they are doing – but not all!

YMMV of course.

jcsk8

Reaction score
The old trick to avoid a bassy neck pickup is to set your amp for the neck pickup. Turn down the bass a little, turn up the highs until they´re cutting and set the middle to your tastes. Than, when you change for the bridge pickup it will propably sound very bright, so you tune it with the guitar tone control. Usually works like a charm.
But if the balance between them remains, maybe changing the a4 for a a5 magnet should bright it enough.

Good luck.

Latest Threads