Bass guitar recommendation?

mrazek

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm thinking about picking up a bass guitar. My budget for this would be topped off at $400, but it can all go toward the bass itself because I've got access to a practice bass amp. Any recommendations for good basses in that price range? I like all kinds of music, so I'd aim for something something versatile. Thanks!

Dr.Distortion

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I got a used Japanese made '52 reissue P Bass for about $400... I did change the PU to a Duncan Antiquity and I changed the pots cap and jack... It's damn nice...

bugg

Reaction score
Just got a new Squier Classic Vibe 60's Precision Bass for $349, very happy with it so far.

Syrus

Reaction score
Another vote for a P-Bass. They really sound great in a band situation. Plain thunder.

Benjammin

Reaction score
Squiers are great for the price, particularly the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified series. Ibanezs are nice too, and usually have thinner necks, it's probably best to try to play around with a few different models before you buy to see what feels best. Compared to guitars, basses are generally harder to play due to the larger dimensions, so finding one that is most comfortable will be worthwhile in the long run

old mark

Reaction score
I started playing bass in '63 using an original Danelectro Longhorn. Later moved to a Fender Telecaster Bass, which was pretty good. I did some recording (commercials) with an Aria Pro II, and now own a '90's Peavey Foundation, which I think is the best of all of them. Got it for $160 in a pawn shop, along with a hard case.
I recommend looking as used Peavey basses. There are very many styles and they sell cheap for what you get. They are solid, well made, great necks and very playable with good tone...many people record with Peaveys. The older Peavey basses are made in the USA, too, and you will get change from your $400.

FWIW, the standard bass for recording is the Fender Jazz bass, but IMO the older US made Peavey 4 string passive basses are easily equal to the JB, and I feel the necks on the Peaveys are better.

You really have to play several to find what you like.

mark

SixStringSam

Reaction score
I picked up a cheapo Squier p bass special last month as my first bass and it has been a great new experience. I bought a Fender rumble amp and spent just under $200 on the noob setup.

I didn't know if I'd like it but have always been intrigued by the bass. I have now been playing for three weeks and sent the thing in for a setup and new strings after playing it regularly, mostly because its a new toy. I grabbed it on Craigslist for $100.

I have a few buddies who play bass and they taught me about the older Peaveys and Ibanez basses like the ATK and I think I'm hooked for now lol.

I thought of possibly picking up an Ibanez SR300 or used axe down the road if need be. Being a lefty, my choices are very limited. I have a friend who has a Specter Classic bass which sounds great and I really like the tone.

As a new bass player, the Squier is good for me to learn on and being 'special' in the model line means it has a jazz pickup which is cool.

I am pondering upgrading the pickups soon if I keep it but do not know if it is worth it from a money standpoint, I could save up for a Fender P bass or an SR300. The Schecters are nice also for rock tones and heavier riffs.....

Great....another way to further my collection of guitars and NGD thread counts.

SixStringSam

Reaction score
I looked up the Warwick rock basses and a Spector Legend Classic 4 and decided that my GAS is bad and I need to keep the Squier for now and maybe mod the pickups when I get better.

I am learning chords and scales on the bass and really enjoy it. I had no idea how much I would like it and think that I will stick with the bass as a side project to the guitar so to speak.

Latest Threads