Bass guitar, advice on getting into that

100LL

Reaction score
One of my boys wants to pick up the bass (he’s been drumming so far, not giving it up but wanting to learn a stringed instrument). My other boy is all guitar.

I thought it would be a fun thing to explore with him. Any recommendations for getting into that (I found a lot local to kick off the experiment)

Roxy13

Reaction score
Depending on his age and size a short scale bass might be better to start with. It's not as long or heavy and the string tension is less.

tzd

Reaction score
If you're looking for a kid-size bass, Ibanez miKro Bass is the one to get.

For practice amp, Fender Rumble 25 works fine, but it wouldn't keep up with a real drum set.

If you already have powered speakers, you can use a bass D.I. box instead of bass amp. MXR M80 Bass D.I+ can be had for under $100 used. Just be aware that the Headrush FRFR 108 has issues with the bass frequency, you'll need the 112 if you are using Headrush. I use my bass thru DI (I have three of them - MXR M80, Boss IR200, and Sansamp Steve Harris SH1) to my QSC K8 speaker and it sounds really good, and I can run it at much lower volume than a bass amp.

For an example demo of Ibanez miKro, and inspiration:

100LL

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the Ibanez, I’ll definitely look at that.

I wound up with a couple of bass amps from a local purchase (a GK backline 112 at a 100W is going to be the trainer. I like SS amps for kids because they’re indestructible). The other one is more pro grade so I may flip it…it’s some 300W rack mounted thing that I can’t imagine I’ll ever need.

My main concern is derailing my practice and limited bandwidth.

Would you say bass guitar is a compliment or a complication??

truckermde

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the Ibanez, I’ll definitely look at that.

I wound up with a couple of bass amps from a local purchase (a GK backline 112 at a 100W is going to be the trainer. I like SS amps for kids because they’re indestructible). The other one is more pro grade so I may flip it…it’s some 300W rack mounted thing that I can’t imagine I’ll ever need.

Compliment, IMO.

Do it!

tzd

Reaction score

I started learning bass less than a year ago. Last week my band wanted to get together again for the first time in more than two years. Bassist couldn't make it. I learned the bass part for 8 songs in a week! Couldn't have done that if it was lead guitar.

Learning the bass really helps improve my rhythm, counting and timing. You'll listen more closely to the drummer and be more tight in your playing.

The first 6 months is not easy... before I figured out the correct technique for myself, I would overstrain and almost injure my fingers when playing, and I will have to lay off the bass and sometimes guitar for a few days or a week before I can resume playing. But once you figure things out, it is mostly easier than the guitar.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bass players don't get laid as often.

Latest Threads