Basic upgrade questions (re: 2011 R8)

DaveGH

Reaction score
Hello. I've had this lefty 2011 R8 for about a year and haven't changed it, just played it Great guitar. Now thinking about some minor upgrades- a few questions.

The input jack is a little loose. It has what looks like stock electronics, bumble bee looking caps etc. Would a wiring harness (some have what looks like bumble bee caps as well??) be an upgrade? Better bumble bees? Go for 50's wiring? Changing all pots to let's say rsguitarworks Super pots? (There are cts 500K in there now) Where would you recommend getting the input jack, pots etc? thanks! ( I don't really know what comes stock in a 2011 R8)

It has Lollar low winds in it, I might eventually want to change those (I thought some Antiquities I had in another guitar sounded better but I could be imagining things)

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Why would you waste even more money on a guitar you don't play? :hmm:

Yours already has 500 pots with '50s wiring. A wiring harness might be a slight upgrade but more so if you actually use the pots. Did you change the pickups or was it the previous owner? If it was the previous, he may have already changed the harness.

Fiftywattmafia

Reaction score
Yeah I'd sincerely go ahead and play the guitar everyday that you can for about 3 months to get some kind of idea what its basic tone is, what you like about it....and what you don't. Once you sort of arrive at what you think is missing then go from there.

Sometimes we mod just for the sake of modding. Been there and done that, guilty as charged. But leaving well enough alone works, too.

pjholland

Reaction score
Guys, I think he means he hasn't modified the guitar since he got it, not that he hasn't played it.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pots and pickups....maybe caps the rest is cosmetic...

Pots first but only if the taper is annoying enough.

Or if its too dark sounding maybe a calahm or pigtail bridge parts....But its fun to experiment.

DaveGH

Reaction score
Sorry! Poorly worded (edit), I have been playing it, enjoying it. Yes, the previous owner, a touring musician, put the Lollars in. thanks for the responses, I'll look into pots and pups... oh, and change the strings, lol.

OUTLAW1969

Reaction score
I have nothing against the RS wiring harness, and have used them in a couple of my guitars.

But I will say that after developing a faulty pot in one of the RS versions, I switched the whole harness and got better results from the MSSC version with Sprague Vitamin Q's. Much better than the stock harness, and more "usable" pot taper, over stock pots.

I have not tried the MSSC real bee harness, yet.

jamman

Reaction score
Hello. I've had this lefty 2011 R8 for about a year and haven't changed it, just played it Great guitar. Now thinking about some minor upgrades- a few questions.

The input jack is a little loose. It has what looks like stock electronics, bumble bee looking caps etc. Would a wiring harness (some have what looks like bumble bee caps as well??) be an upgrade? Better bumble bees? Go for 50's wiring? Changing all pots to let's say rsguitarworks Super pots? (There are cts 500K in there now) Where would you recommend getting the input jack, pots etc? thanks! ( I don't really know what comes stock in a 2011 R8)

It has Lollar low winds in it, I might eventually want to change those (I thought some Antiquities I had in another guitar sounded better but I could be imagining things)

If your pots are not doing what you expect from them , then there is a reason to swap them out for an upgrade .Changing for the sake of changing them is just throwing $$$ away .:hmm:

The input jack just needs to be tightened up . Less then a 5 minute job . As long as it works it's good . Not many ever fail
Caps can be swapped out to test how they sound and if you like what the change does . No need to change the harness to do that ....

Many like Lollar's pups and also Ants . But you'll never know how another type sound until you try them in your guitar ... That is hit or miss

Don't like a set??? ,,sell them ...for $$$ or trade for something different

grayd8

Reaction score
Personally the Gibson historic stock pots annoy me, I dumped mine within two months for one of Jonesy's premium harnesses with luxe bee's. Then I dropped some 0x4 pickups in it, a Faber tone lock kit and locking Gotoh SD 510 tuners.

If I had it to do all over again, I would probably do the same thing; maybe try out a set of wizz PAF's since they seem to get as rave reviews as Ox4. One thing I would definitely change up is the order and do the Faber first. It was the most dramatic change in tone.

gtr-tek

Fumble Fingers
Reaction score
+1 on the Faber kit! It really snugs everything up in a good way and tuning stability will improve. Changing strings for the same set will not require a setup afterwards. You will need a setup if you change gauges though.

I like Ants and some Lollars. Like said earlier, you probably already have 50s wiring. Look to see if the tone cap connects to the center lug on the volume pot.

mjross

Reaction score
I dig my R8 stock, would not change a thing. I think you need to play the guitar a while to get a good idea of what you’ve got. Almost did a bunch of mods but glad I did not!

tele_player

Reaction score
+1 on the Faber kit! It really snugs everything up in a good way and tuning stability will improve. Changing strings for the same set will not require a setup afterwards. You will need a setup if you change gauges though.
What setup is needed when changing strings, same gauge, without Faber Tone Lock?

bluesky636

Reaction score
Six year old necrothread. OP hasn't been here in over 2 years. Hopefully he's gotten things straightened out by now.

gtr-tek

Fumble Fingers
Reaction score
What setup is needed when changing strings, same gauge, without Faber Tone Lock?
You may need to check intonation due to possible saddle/bridge drift. Usually it's minor and most won't notice. I prefer the additional stability and more focused tone due to the locking feature.

Latest Threads