Basic Pickup Cavity Question

Aj2pointo

Reaction score
Ok so if the slant of the pickup rings is what is making sure the pickup is parallel to the strings, there is no need to route the actual cavity with a angle identical to the neck angle right? Why on some guitars is this done? Is it only for guitars without pickup rings or ones that have the pickups directly mounted into the body? Thanks, sorry if this is something everyone else knows, i couldn't find a post explaining it well, but I figured it's pretty basic...

grohlstheman

Reaction score
Basically that is how it was done in the 50's and through now with gibson, so everybody hasn't really questioned it. But the functionality of the slanted route is so that (in theory) the pickup could bottom out the cavity perfectly evenly (as in one side of pickup not hitting before other side). I really don't think it matters, but it's just correct to the specs to do the slant.

Shandog

Reaction score
The 50's pickup route is so tight to the pickups, if you don't route parallel to the neck, I'm not sure they would fit correctly with the angled rings.

Aj2pointo

Reaction score
I see now! That makes a lot more sense. So how does it work on an sg? Are the pickup cavities on an sg also routed with a slant to that neck angle?

Latest Threads