Baseball Bat Necked Customs?

radicalcon

Reaction score
Hi everybody! After being away from guitars for a while, getting back into playing has left me GASing for a new (or new to me) Les Paul. I'm currently in the research phase, torn between a few options -- but a Les Paul Custom is calling me. I'm a fan of chunky necks, having really enjoyed the necks on the R7s and R8s I've tried. This naturally leads me to the R7 Black Beauty, but I'm having a hard time reconciling the price tag versus the other historics.

With that in mind, are there any other years for Customs that I should look out for to find a larger neck? They don't have to be reissues. ...Or is the R7 BB worth it? I'd love to hear your input too.

Thanks for your time and input!

The_Nuge

Reaction score
Hi!
I have both a 2010 R7BB and a 2013 R8, so maybe I can provide some uselful input!?
The neck on the R7 is really great - better in my hands than the R8 which is really big. Plays really great too, setup is easy, and I haven't had to cut a new nut for it. Mine's also really light weight, at about 3750g, which is quite rare.
I did struggle with the sound at first with the stock Burst Buckers fitted, but both ECP and TysonTone PAF clones really make the guitar come alive.
Mind you, it does sound somewhat different to a "regular" Lester with a maple top and rosewood board, being kind of softer sounding and less snappy, but it's very versatile and I play mine lots (classic rock & blues, some hard rock).

Tim Plains

Reaction score
57 or 68 BBs should cost about the same as a modern Custom and should also have a thicker neck.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
57 or 68 BBs should cost about the same as a modern Custom and should also have a thicker neck.
^^ this,... and ‘68 model reissues are a reasonable value compared to brand new Custom Shop models....BB7s and ‘68 Custom reissues are a really good buy in the used market.

radicalcon

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! While the concept of an all-mahogany Lester is somewhat fascinating to me, I'm definitely not married to it. So it sounds like the '68 could potentially be in the running, as well. And so the research continues!

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
some of the the '68s.... i'll trade you my old lady

Latest Threads