Bartlett 'RetroSpec'

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
I think that the features on this guitar are an improvement on the les paul, looks very comfortable to play. Joey B seems to think so!:thumb:

alk-3

Reaction score
Tom good thing you didn't go with option #2- thats basically exactly our Keystone inlays ;)

Haha. Funny you should mention that. We had actually all agreed that number two looked best, and decided to use them.
Not more than a couple days later you posted about your new design! We all went "aww crap! He beat us to it!"
Anyway, I think you pulled them off a bit nicer than we could have.

alk-3

Reaction score
I think that the features on this guitar are an improvement on the les paul, looks very comfortable to play. Joey B seems to think so!:thumb:

Thank you! It was a great concern that everything felt 'right' and Magnus put a lot of effort into the design to make it both aesthetically pleasing, and well balanced and comfortable.

alk-3

Reaction score
I agree those inlays look head and shoulder the best. Some of the others look too jazzy. The headstock is where I often stumble with boutique guitars but this one looks really good too. I think it's rare for luthiers to get the help of professional designers, but I wish more would. It's a skill and a talent just the same and it's not because you're good at building guitars that you're also good at design. Not to take away from Tom's input, but surely a talented designer can only help.

You're absolutely right. This design would not be what it is without the abilities of Magnus. He really makes it seem effortless.

j.six

Reaction score
I think it's rare for luthiers to get the help of professional designers, but I wish more would. It's a skill and a talent just the same and it's not because you're good at building guitars that you're also good at design.

Agree completely.

FF_Pedals

Reaction score
I can't believe this thread is still only 1 page long. What kind of pickups did you use?

RAG7890

Reaction score
Some-Things-Are-Worth-To-Wait-640x512.jpg

Barnaby

Reaction score
You're absolutely right. This design would not be what it is without the abilities of Magnus. He really makes it seem effortless.

I think that this whole thread is a testament to the value of collaboration. Very impressive all around and I love the result. :applause::applause::applause:

RAG7890

Reaction score
That British racing green would make a great colour for this guitar IMO:D

Actually Nic, you made a very good point. :thumb:

I once saw an awesome looking Fender Custom Shop Jazzmaster in a green not too dissimilar to BRG. I never forgot that guitar. It looked fantastic.

May well have been a shade of Fender's Sherwood Green but it was a little different & had that BRG look about it.

These guitars will more than likely come out in some interesting colors. Time will tell.

I really like the Tele meets Les Paul with (for me anyway) an Art Deco twist. The design is outstanding IMHO.

Cheers, Rudi

alk-3

Reaction score
I can't believe this thread is still only 1 page long. What kind of pickups did you use?

In the end we went with some throbaks. John Gundry from Throbak made up a set he thought would work well. the do sound awesome!

alk-3

Reaction score
I think that this whole thread is a testament to the value of collaboration. Very impressive all around and I love the result. :applause::applause::applause:

thanks Barnaby! I agree, when you work with some real experts, things get easy. Magnus really did an amazing job, I just can't say enough good things about him. Kim and his crew also do some amazing work, so I was confident the guitar would turn out fantastic on that end as well. :thumb:

alk-3

Reaction score
Okay, so on to the actual building of this guitar. After Magnus finished up the top carve file, he exported it, and sent it off to Kim in Florida, who had it machined out of a great piece of hard maple. I sent kim the maple to use for the top, and it came out like this:

69ec1bd6.jpg

a458c141.jpg

f04cf9ba.jpg

042d60ac.jpg

alk-3

Reaction score
Thanks!
The top carve is based off a 58 les Paul. Just adapted to the new body shape. It turned out great, with the little maple slivers in the cutaways. Very organic and natural feeling.

RAG7890

Reaction score
:wow: :thumb: :applause:

Awesome looking piece of Maple Tom. Gotta to love a nice plain top....................would have looked great under a Burst style finish.

Cheers, Rudi

FF_Pedals

Reaction score
Yes! I haven't been on here for awhile. I've only had the internet on my phone since I moved. Glad I tuned in after an update here. :thumb::thumb:
What kind of neck carve did you use?

itchybro

Reaction score
Glad to see the Harmony Roy Smeck as part of your inspiration. That's one of the ones that "got away" before I could buy it. Someday....

silverkw

Reaction score
How's the high frets access? The cut away doesn't seem to be as pronounced as a Les Paul.

Latest Threads