Barry Manilow is gay.

Hack

Reaction score
You knew it already, but now he's out.

Barry Manilow on coming out and his secret marriage.

For years Barry Manilow kept his sexuality a secret, fearful of how fans might react.

"I thought I would be disappointing them if they knew I was gay," the legendary singer recently told People magazine. "So I never did anything."

These days Manilow is not only out but on the cover of People talking about his private life and love of 39 years, his manager Garry Kief.

It's a rare moment of openness for the 73-year-old star who told the publication, "I'm so private. I always have been."

Manilow said he was focused mostly on his career, which included hits such as "Mandy" and "Copacabana (At the Copa)," when he met Kief, a TV executive, in 1978.

"I knew that this was it," Manilow said. "I was one of the lucky ones. I was pretty lonely before that."

The couple remained together despite Kief's initial lack of comfort with Manilow's fame, and they stayed discreetly under the radar.

For a time, Manilow even he lived with TV production assistant Linda Allen, who was rumored to be his love interest.

The beloved performer's sexuality had long been the topic of speculation when he and Kief secretly married in 2014 at their Palm Springs, California, estate.

The news made the headlines a year later, and Manilow publicly came out.

Now he says he is happy with how it's all been received.

"When (fans) found out that Garry and I were together, they were so happy," Manilow said. "The reaction was so beautiful -- strangers commenting, 'Great for you!' I'm just so grateful for it."

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
OMG:shock:
Who next, Rob Halford, Neil Patrick Harris...?

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Say it isn't so! Mrs. G (mom, not wife) is gonna cry! :D

SGeoff

Reaction score
lol. not much shocks me any more. and this didn't either

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
Last week I was taking a "serenity" ride=me, some brother, and a madman. We drove around listening to Barry.

"Yeah, Tim my "boys" mess with me for liking Barry."
"Your "boys" are clowns-HARD men are "soft " men.

We drove, Barry crooned...............it was SSSIIIIICCCCKKKK!

chasenblues

Reaction score
in other breaking news,so was liberace...

tenor.gif

fify..:thumb:

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For years Barry Manilow kept his sexuality a secret, fearful of how fans might react.

"I thought I would be disappointing them if they knew I was gay," the legendary singer recently told People magazine. "So I never did anything."

BS. He was fearful of alienating all his aging female fans (majority of his fanbase) and wanted to milk money from them for as long as he could.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
That was a real shocker! I heard that earlier and the top of my head got cold!

BrianB

Reaction score
That was a real shocker! I heard that earlier and the top of my head got cold!

There are two stages of Barry Manilow Awareness;

1) Get a helmet.
2) Put on your damn helmet.

You're apparently on stage two...

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
BS. He was fearful of alienating all his aging female fans (majority of his fanbase) and wanted to milk money from them for as long as he could.

That's understandable and the main reason performers stay in the closet. At the same time, Rob Halford's fanbase must have been harder to come out to. I've read interviews with him where he talks about his closeted days on the Judas Priest bus, which was often a full-blown orgy, while he had to just sit there without getting any nookie.

Hack

Reaction score
That's understandable and the main reason performers stay in the closet. At the same time, Rob Halford's fanbase must have been harder to come out to. I've read interviews with him where he talks about his closeted days on the Judas Priest bus, which was often a full-blown orgy, while he had to just sit there without getting any nookie.

Pffft. A mouth is a mouth.

:hmm:

Meatwad

Reaction score
Oh boy!!

Now he can take Paul Lynde's place on Hollywood Squares!!

carydad

Reaction score
Holy Crap, next thing you know he'll admit to getting a little "work" done.

Latest Threads