Barrie Cadogan Plays a 1959 Gibson Les Paul

Subterfuge

Reaction score
that guy can play music !! so many of the '59 demos on YouTube aren't too great in the actual playing music dept.

boola1

Reaction score
Certainly a great sounding guitar! The pickups have got some fantastic accoustic/microphonic qualities.

It's the first '59 video where I can actually hear why the guitar should be worthy of it's mythical status.

ESchmidt

Reaction score
Sounded great to me. Funny thing is, if we didn’t know what amp he is playing I think the fair majority of us would be guessing some sort of $1000+ boutique of vintage amp. I forgot how good those Epi valve jrs sound. Thank you for sharing!

jenton70

Premium Member
Reaction score
This has been in my regular rotation for a while. A great player really brings out the glory of a great guitar.

moreles

Reaction score
One of my favorite players, and he knows how to work that guitar. I honestly think the amp sound is not great, but it's obvious that the guitar has a wonderful range of voices. I like and agree with the microphonics working really well along with the main pickup signal. And geez, with a touch like that, a player can work wonders. It's a great testimonial to non-overwound, non "hot" pickups.

mflemmer2

Reaction score
Certainly a great sounding guitar! The pickups have got some fantastic accoustic/microphonic qualities.

It's the first '59 video where I can actually hear why the guitar should be worthy of it's mythical status.
Another outstanding example of the 59's greatness is this video. It doesn't hurt that he's playing through a Trainwreck Express amp, either.

boola1

Reaction score
Another outstanding example of the 59's greatness is this video. It doesn't hurt that he's playing through a Trainwreck Express amp, either.
Yes, very nice indeed! The cab is also a big part of the sound. G12Ms, Pulsonic cones no doubt.

Last edited:

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
It's refreshing to hear somebody FINALLY play a burst CLEAN and play something other than blues rock licks distorted. Plus as a Al green fan it's nice to recognize him playing *I'm so glad you're mine* . Never heard anybody play soul music on a burst I like that.