Barn find literally. Going to see it tomorrow

BadPenguin

Reaction score
There's so much hate for them here! It's NOT a Paul, it doesn't feel like one, despite the Paul-like shape. It doesn't sound like one, due to the maple/maple/maple or ebony board. And it sure as hell doesn't play like one! It's a completely different neck shape, 24 "fretless wonder" frets, and an inventive as all hell electronic layout. 3 additional combinations, Both Parallel, series out of phase, and parallel out of phase, and that wonderful mid control that takes you from hot humbucker, to a tele twang, and a strat-like quack. It was one of the rare experiments from the Norlin era that actually WORKED!

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
There's so much hate for them here! It's NOT a Paul, it doesn't feel like one, despite the Paul-like shape. It doesn't sound like one, due to the maple/maple/maple or ebony board. And it sure as hell doesn't play like one! It's a completely different neck shape, 24 "fretless wonder" frets, and an inventive as all hell electronic layout. 3 additional combinations, Both Parallel, series out of phase, and parallel out of phase, and that wonderful mid control that takes you from hot humbucker, to a tele twang, and a strat-like quack. It was one of the rare experiments from the Norlin era that actually WORKED!
A roommate of mine had one.
I had seen the model before and was puzzled.
I was excited to try it.
And then... nothing.
I didn't feel a thing.
And it was no Les Paul.
Just a Les Paul guitar shape.

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
I bought my first one in 1973, a block inlay Custom. Neither that one, nor any of the other Customs I have or had since then had fretless wonder frets.

It is truly its own beast. I had a love hate relationship with it starting out in garage and cover bands, never sounding enough like a Les Paul or Strat to satisfy my bandmates. "That's not how [insert guitarist's name whose song we were learning] sounds there." "Well shit. You want me to sound like that, you buy me a Les Paul / Strat / Jr."

Once I made peace with allowing it to be what it is, rather than lament what it isn't, life was simpler. Learned some Devo, Kansas, Metheny, Santana.. Its tones fit rather nicely in the jazz ensembles, and it has a gloriously hollow, woody reverse polarity tone. Haters going to hate. But don't knock it till you try it. At least hate intelligently.

Edited a misspelling

Last edited:

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
That is just crazy....my The Paul must be worth 2K by now.
:fingersx:

Man HCT I thought you were just joking but I'm looking on Reverb right now and see more than 1 "The Paul"s on there that have an asking price north of 2K. WTF?? I sold one a year and a half ago for 900 bucks. I also sold my 77 Standard for 1700, which is what I paid for it. I wonder how long before the market corrects itself or if these prices are the new norm.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, Carlos Santana played an L6-S for a while. Any that I've picked up gave me only one or two sounds that I might consider useful. Although a friend has a pristine example, and the first time I tried it out, the guitar literally wrote a complete song for me, including clever turn arounds and bridge part. While I don't really like the guitar, I'll always have a soft spot for it, given the great song that it inspired! And FWIW, my 1980, LP Firebrand (cheapest version of The Paul) is by far the most rippin' guitar I've ever owned or even picked up!
Just Sayin'
Gene

paul1houston

Reaction score
No, not late 70's it is 75 or earlier, most likely a 1973...very few 76's with a 6 digit serial number.

Bill Lawrence Super HB's

so what's the verdict?

There's one on CL near me that the guy thinks is a real LP (price-wise) but, sadly, it is not even close.

The guitar you are asking about is worth about $100.

In good shape, they are worth $400-$600 and the high number will be paid by a fool.

PAF's????

No.
:rofl:
got it $250. its at guitar techs house getting work. its been played. great neck

Lester

Reaction score
That is just crazy....my The Paul must be worth 2K by now.
:fingersx:
Worth? I dunno. Selling for? Definitely if it's from the original years. Used to be able to get them for $500. No one wanted them. I passed on a few - figured I'd wait for one with T-tops. Whoops.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
I have bought 2 in the last 3 years for $400 and $450 with chainsaw cases.

I don't believe that anyone will pay 2K for it, but if so?

Lester

Reaction score
I have bought 2 in the last 3 years for $400 and $450 with chainsaw cases.

I don't believe that anyone will pay 2K for it, but if so?
Seriously? Those are good deals. Ebay is over $1000 for them and C/L seems to follow Ebay.

1981 LPC

Reaction score
Wow, that thing is rough. Are the white splotches dust or mold? Not water damaged I hope....

AJK1

Reaction score
Above photo is me playing one in 1986
Funnily enough, I also owned a ‘The Paul’ at the same time
I played about 260 shows that year and I alternated between both guitars on all those gigs
I sold both to buy the 72 Custom that is in my Avatar photo
Good times

Reactions: Who

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bud's L6 was one of the best sounding humbucker guitars I've heard.. Lester? Not really. It has its own tone color....

Latest Threads