Barn find literally. Going to see it tomorrow

judson

Reaction score
pretty cool even for an L6

would be fun to own as a project at the right price...even pristine they dont bring much

but for a few hundred maybe $400-$500 would be my max, depending what is really there...dont know what pups they had

keep us posted

paul1houston

Reaction score
pretty cool even for an L6

would be fun to own as a project at the right price...even pristine they dont bring much

but for a few hundred maybe $400-$500 would be my max, depending what is really there...dont know what pups they had

keep us posted
bill lawerence tar backs???? im hoping for some pafs lol. always fun to see.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
BTW, it looks like that crack in the top goes all the way to the back of the guitar. That's a bit concerning and may be why all the hardware is off...

BadPenguin

Reaction score
They are what was known as the "Super humbucker" I think they were 9 or 10K, which was stupidly high.
And that is probably NOT a crack, but the seam for the 2 pieces of maple they used.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
No, not late 70's it is 75 or earlier, most likely a 1973...very few 76's with a 6 digit serial number.

Bill Lawrence Super HB's

so what's the verdict?

There's one on CL near me that the guy thinks is a real LP (price-wise) but, sadly, it is not even close.

The guitar you are asking about is worth about $100.

In good shape, they are worth $400-$600 and the high number will be paid by a fool.

PAF's????

No.
:rofl:

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
wow...just goes to show there are morons born everyday.

I see where the guy on my CL got his asking price from.

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
The best info I've found on the pickups:

Super Humbucker type C. Output is roughly 1.5X an original Gibson Humbucker. By comparison, a DiMarzio Super II is about 2X an original Gibson Humbucker.

There are no adjustable polepieces (which is part of the reason you don't see screws poking through the cover).

Each pickup uses 3 Indox 7 magnets -- these are a type of ceramic magnet, but they're smaller than normal and used in a way to get more power out of a smaller magnet (greater efficiency, yada yada). So it's not a typical ceramic magnet pickup at all.

The bottom (under) plate is brass.

The cover (except for the black ones and maybe *including* the black ones) was nickel silver.

They were potted in epoxy rather than wax.

Edited to add:

Bill Lawrence joined the Gibson company in 1971. He was originally asked to design a "multi sound" system for the SG. He wanted to build a completely different guitar instead, and that ended up being the L6S. That guitar as it was produced was quite different from the guitar Lawrence designed.

Bill later said that his original design would have been possible had Gibson allowed for ~$20 more per guitar for production.

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
That is just crazy....my The Paul must be worth 2K by now.
:fingersx:

The market I see (which is still ridiculous) is not inline with these asking prices you posted....the selling averages are going to be closer $800-$1000 or so....is that what you are seeing?

which is STILL ridiculous but hey, it's their money.

Yes, these were Bill's babies.

Latest Threads