Bare Knuckle quality?

sandmannn69

Reaction score
My guitar tech used to carry these Bare Knuckle pickups (year or two ago) and raved about them, particularly the VHII and Nailbomb models. I asked him about getting one the other day, and he said he no longer carries them.

He recommended Throbak pickups (for PAF only) and had heard good things about WCR. Anybody here experienced with Bare Knuckle?

LtKojak

Reaction score
I think he's exaggerating a little bit. BK products are as solid today as they were last year and the years before that.

HTH,

rick13

Reaction score
Unfortunately, he said....she said. The customer service is always immediate and top notch. I have always been impressed with the build quality.
Rick

Fixxxer

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would not put a lot of stock into things like that. If you look at the web, they are present and have a decent reputation.

Also with dealers, sometime they are bent when a manufacturer changes their minds about a production policy or requires them to buy stock, etc. There are also times, dealers make more off of selling another product, so that might have something to do with it.

Personally, the two times my buddy has ordered directly from them, never an issue.

Angus

Reaction score
My guitar tech used to carry these Bare Knuckle pickups (year or two ago) and raved about them, particularly the VHII and Nailbomb models.

Your post is the first occasion I've seen something negative said about Bare Knuckle pickups - certainly when I did business with them a year or two back, Tim was exceptionally helpful in listening and interpreting what properties in a pickup I required for my guitar, and Lord knows I'm not the most articulate person in the world trying to describe a sound. He seemed genuinely dedicated to providing the best solution for my needs with no attitude and no bullshit. I don't believe that has changed.

sandmannn69

Reaction score
Yeah, I would not put a lot of stock into things like that. If you look at the web, they are present and have a decent reputation.

Also with dealers, sometime they are bent when a manufacturer changes their minds about a production policy or requires them to buy stock, etc. There are also times, dealers make more off of selling another product, so that might have something to do with it.

Personally, the two times my buddy has ordered directly from them, never an issue.

I think that might be it, maybe some bad blood between Tim and my tech guy. I had actually ordered a VHII from a place in NY when he voiced his opinions about BKP. Dropped it in my Charvel on Friday and was pretty impressed by the clarity and definition even with high gain, punchy cleans to Metallica without mushing out, blows away the Tone Zone it replaced and much better than the JB I normally use. When I told my tech, he said it must have been NOS from the seller, but after hearing you guys opinions, I'm thinking he's got a problem with BKP.

Thanks, everyone, for the input on this, just ordered a Miracle Man set for my other Charvel.

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Bare Knuckle Pickups will not ever allow poor quality pickups out the door. Of course they are not a one-man business but all staff are trained and expected to work to strict standards. Parts quality is superb and mostly custom made in the UK at great expense.

LtKojak

Reaction score
Bare Knuckle Pickups will not ever allow poor quality pickups out the door. Of course they are not a one-man business but all staff are trained and expected to work to strict standards. Parts quality is superb and mostly custom made in the UK at great expense.

That's what I like 'bout you, Spence. You always tell it like it is. No ifs, no buts.

After this statement, I think it's safe to just close this thread... ;)

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i have a BKP T-Top in my darkburst, and it's a BEAUTIFUL pickup.

sandmannn69

Reaction score

Good enuff for me. Thanks for the feedback.

stephen78

Reaction score
I'm getting a BK Miracle Man installed in my Explorer.

I just installed WCR's in my SG, but I really wanna try the Riff Raffs in there. Damn GAS!

slither

Reaction score
I have only the one set, Mules, and I cannot fault them. In addition Tim's service and answers to my enquiries were promt and informed, confirming my initial thought that the Mules were indeed the ones for the tone I was after. I'm sure if another pickup was more suitable then he would have recommended the appropriate set. All advice was straight up and no pressure to have one set over the other.

All this, and they were mailed from Britain to Australia via Registered Post within 8 days from placing my order. This was back in January.

They may or may not have the pickups you after, but I can't recommend highly enough their commitment to deliver the best product and service possible. I can, of course, only go by my own experience with them, but I have only read good things about them, both here in the Forum and in the guitar magazines.

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
I've ordered a couple of pickups from Bare Knuckle in the past - both times directly from them - the Piledriver Tele set. They were great sounding and very well made. Tim has also been very helpful, advising on which pickups would match well if I wanted to mix-n-match across different products - I was considering a bridge humbucker with the Mississippi Queen P90 neck pickup and he suggested they could wind a Mule bridge pickup which would have an appropriate output level balance, although I decided not to go for it in the end.

So, all-in-all, they seem like a good company with good products.

BrianGT

Reaction score
BKPs are rock solid.

+1

Their service is great and the pickups are in the big three...BKP, OTPG and SHED's....all great pickups but each with their own flavour of fillet steak! :D

chipper

Reaction score
Yes, can't find fault with anything about Bare Knuckle.

Mpcoluv

Reaction score
I read several of guitar pickup forums on the web every day.
While I have never owned any Bare Knuckle products, I have NEVER heard anything negative about the quality of the products or business practices.
Many winders can't make that claim.

xsouldriverx

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
top, top quality and awesome tone form them. also responded to e-mails at 4 am his time. thats customer service.

EEF13

Reaction score
I tried the Mule set put and it was the best PAF set I have ever tried.

Latest Threads