Bare Knuckle pickups-What’s the deal?

frater106

Reaction score
Would "wide" 53 mm spacing be okay in my Epiphone? It's only an extra 1.5 mm per side, right? Or do I need to wait for a 50 mm set?

fry

Reaction score
Would "wide" 53 mm spacing be okay in my Epiphone? It's only an extra 1.5 mm per side, right? Or do I need to wait for a 50 mm set?
I have found the DiMarzio “F-Spaced” to be perfect for Epiphone and most other imports. They have 51 mm spacing. I’ve used the 53 mm Duncan “Trembucker” in an Epiphone also, it worked fine.

frater106

Reaction score
I have found the DiMarzio “F-Spaced” to be perfect for Epiphone and most other imports. They have 51 mm spacing. I’ve used the 53 mm Duncan “Trembucker” in an Epiphone also, it worked fine.
Thanks!

Archtopanimal

Reaction score
With exception of my painkillers i paid between 90€ and 150€ for a set. Cheapest were my brown sugar set as they were a gamble. Both the Mules and pg blues were between 140/150€ all second hand. Not all that long ago. Buying second hand might be a good deal on these pups.
It's the way to go . Usually less than half price .

BKS

Reaction score
Look more local, tho cheapest set is at 200€ atm for a set of 2 bridge aftermath :dunno:
But there is a Black Dog set for 250€ including pots

Most expensive 1900€ Knuckle Riff Raff bridge and Jalen Custom neck combo... Plus is it comes with wood around it (1994 orville by Gibson lpc) :laugh2:

frater106

Reaction score
Just when I'd gotten over the idea of Bare Knuckle pickups being $400, I came to learn that Throbaks are $600. Suddenly $400 of staying to sound quite reasonable! Lol.

frater106

Reaction score
Just when I'd gotten over the idea of Bare Knuckle pickups being $400, I came to learn that Throbaks are $600. Suddenly $400 of staying to sound quite reasonable! Lol.
"is starting"- not "of staying".

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the Painkillers, but BKP are very popular among users of high output pickups - at least in Europe.
They are £229 (without covers) for a set at the BKP webshop.

I had a pair of Stormy Mondays and a pair of Mules in my 2017 Classic.
Very well made, they sound clear without being harsh, and easy to balance. But I find them to be kind of bland compared to the OX4 or Mojo Pickup UK PAF replicas I have.
Maybe it just wasn't the right pickups for that particular guitar. I may try the Mules in my new Standard.

skydog

Reaction score
Some winders offer a return or replacement if you are not happy with the pick ups, so long as you follow the rules- don’t cut the cable etc. Bareknuckle do this themselves if you buy direct. I believe you have 14 days.

Whether pick ups suit your particular guitar and amp is a very expensive crap shoot, so this has saved me quite a bit of money over the years.

I don’t expect anything I just ask (or read the FAQs). You should try it.
Note to self: don’t sell to Starfire!

John

Reaction score
I, for one, am a fan of them. Especially for more modern voicings.

ie- here's my first set, some BKP Painkillers that I really like for lower tunings thanks in part to a heavily spiked midrange.

The C-bombs, Coldsweats, and Holydivers have been mainstays in my guitars, too. Each for different reasons though they can collectively cover more ground past the rock and metal applications I tend to use with them in hand.

Latest Threads