Bare Knuckle Mules.

Big electric cat

Reaction score
I've had this Les Paul for 41 years. My Dad took me to 48th st in Manhattan back in June of 1980 and said get whatever you want. So I chose this 1980 Gibson Heritage Elite. Over the last 40 something years I've played this guitar so much it looks like a Super heavy relic guitar. It's never been abused or mistreated. I just played the crap out of it for a very long time.
Over the last 30 years I've had various different pickups in this guitar. DiMarzio, Duncan, Fralin, Holmes etc they all sounded really good.
Then I got a set of heavily reliced double cream Bare Knuckle Mules. The Mules are phenomenal sounding!
They're the best sounding humbuckers I've ever had in this guitar. The Mules make this Les Paul kinda sound like a L series rosewood neck Telecaster on steroids. Alnico 4 magnets and 8.2k bridge and 7.2k neck pickups that sound perfect in this guitar.
I've have many other Les Paul's with different pickups and they all sound killer. But there's something about these Mules that is really cool.

My 1980 Gibson Heritage 80 elite. Bought at Mannys June , 1980. $1200. Thanks Dad.
With Bare Knuckle Mules
Screenshot_20210520-180913.jpg

Screenshot_20210520-180858.jpg

Screenshot_20210520-180843.jpg

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
Lovely story and I concur about BK Mules...mine weren't relic'd but being nickel covers they have worn quite quickly so are in keeping with my more lowly 1990 MIK Epi LP.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Yes, really great story. Definitely, really great guitar, too. Emphasis on "really".
Just curious ... do you have the original pickups? And -- if so -- do you ever think about putting them back in it to re-listen to the guitar with them?

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Awesome story and fantastic axe. I've never tried Mules but heard lots of stories of satisfaction from people who have.

I hope my kids tell stories like this about me someday!

tabano

Reaction score
I have been using mules for years now and they are quite unique indeed, they kick the notes, specially when soloing in a way that is amazing, I love them..
and that guitar looks absolutely glorious with double creams!!!
enjoy them!

Big electric cat

Reaction score
I have been using mules for years now and they are quite unique indeed, they kick the notes, specially when soloing in a way that is amazing, I love them..
and that guitar looks absolutely glorious with double creams!!!
enjoy them!
Thank you! Yeah the guitar is really cool. I like the top because it's not too ostentatious.
It' has no more finish on the back of the neck. I wore it down to bare wood just by playing it.
The finish on the body is completely broken down. Decades of playing have caused the lacquer to breakdown. If it gets sweat or water on it the finish turns white. I'm not gonna have it refinished, that would be completely wrong. My Dad was a good guy.

Big electric cat

Reaction score
Lovely story and I concur about BK Mules...mine weren't relic'd but being nickel covers they have worn quite quickly so are in keeping with my more lowly 1990 MIK Epi LP.
There's nothing lowly about a Epiphone Les Paul. I bought my nephew one for Xmas several years ago and he loves his. It's actually a really nice guitar.

BP5150

Reaction score
Love the history of your guitar. That’s awesome your father was able to do that for you. What a special moment. Hopefully that guitar will be able to be passed down for generations to come!

slug_maine

Reaction score
I still have my first guitar. It was one of my Dads. A 1953 Gibson L48 that in great shape.
He gave it to me when I was 10. I still use it.

Stay well.
Back in 1975

View attachment 538950
I have a 1965 L 48, bought for me when I was 14 by my parents. I'd never sell it. Where you playing maj7 chords back then? lol I was cowboy chords exclusively.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Love the history of your guitar. That’s awesome your father was able to do that for you. What a special moment.
The OP's story just makes me laugh. I have a great Dad, too, who is endlessly supportive, generous, helpful, etc. But the whole idea of my Dad taking me in 1980 to go buy a $1200 Les Paul ("get whatever you want") is just hilarious. Yeah, uhhh ... that did not happen for me ... LOL, LOL. To be clear, the OP's story is a GREAT heartwarming story.

Last edited:

Latest Threads