Bare Knuckle Humbuckers

PGblues

Reaction score
Hi!

I have Bare Knuckle Irish Tour pickups installed in my Strat. I like them so much that I'm considering to buy a set of humbuckers by Bare Knuckle for my LP Traditional. Has anybody had any experience with them? I'm particularly interested in the Peter Green Blues set

Starrman

Reaction score
I've had the BK Mule set....great PU's. Very sweet. I also have a few single coil sets. The guy makes a great pickup. I've read nothing but rave reviews on the Green set...I think there are some youtube demo's of them as well....

EEF13

Reaction score
Get the Mules. Man those sounded great when I played a Les Paul with them installed.

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gary Moore uses the PG set so they must be good.

PGblues

Reaction score
What kind of sound produce the mules? I've noticed that most BK pickups are named after guitarists or songs (Storm Monday, etc), but I unfortunately can't think of a musician or a song when I hear "The Mule", so it's hard to imagine how they sound like.
I once played a Dean guitar with the "Warpig" humbuckers - they were not exactly my cup of tea, but I think they were the heaviest, most brutal pickups I've ever heard.

Lightning Guitars

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I have the warpigs, they are fairly hot but it depends on what guitar they are in. They certainly standout from the crowd tone wise, fantastic feel to them and easily manipulated by attack

nce

Reaction score
I have Stormy Mondays (in an Epiphone). My friend has Mules (in a Gibson). I have played both through an Orange and a Cornford. The Mules are basically PAFs. I found them a tad too gainy for my tastes, so I went for Stormy Mondays. SMs are essentially Alnico II Slash-alikes.

But, the BEST person to tell you about BK pickups is the man who makes them - Tim Mills. Just email BK via their web site and tell them what sort of sound you are after. Tim will then match the pickups for you. If there is not one in the range that is right for you, he will wind you your very own. Try getting that service out of the big makers!

Good luck.

Nige.

MesaBoogie

Reaction score
What kind of sound produce the mules? I've noticed that most BK pickups are named after guitarists or songs (Storm Monday, etc), but I unfortunately can't think of a musician or a song when I hear "The Mule", so it's hard to imagine how they sound like.
I once played a Dean guitar with the "Warpig" humbuckers - they were not exactly my cup of tea, but I think they were the heaviest, most brutal pickups I've ever heard.

The mule prolly refers to Warren Haynes in Gov't Mule. Tell us how they work out if you get 'em, I'm interested :D

Mesa.

5F6-A

Reaction score
I had a set of BKP PGblues ( almost prototype actually ) and they sounded very sweet.

Kate033

Reaction score
When it comes to a boutique pups, all the top winders are putting out fantastic products. You can't go wrong with any of them. It really comes down to personal preference. Each have a little different flavor.

I love Don Mare tele pickups, but since he doesn't wind humbuckers when it came time to replace the pups in my LP I was on a search for the right winder/pickups.
I now have a set Bare Knuckles in my LP that I'll never part with. Custom wound Mule in the neck and Riff Raff in the bridge. There's a lot of die hard fans for each boutique winder and I had my doubts before ordering them that they would live up to the hype. But they far exceeded my expectations!
I emailed Tim (fantastic guy) and told him what I was looking for in tone. He made some recommendations, some that I wouldn't of necessarily thought of, and I was able to order exactly what I needed.
They arrived from the UK to US custom wound in less than a week!!! Wow! He NAILED the tone I was seeking down to every detail...these pickups come from somewhere left of heaven ;)
The quality of materials, wind, knowledge, and especially customer service is top notch. Worth every penny.
You can't go wrong with the PG set if that's the tone you're seeking. Gary Moore uses them. Nuff' said!
Don't let the names be the deciding factor though...for example, the Black Dog's arn't strictly the best match for Zeppelin tone - The Riff Raff's arn't just for SG's or AC/DC, etc.
Shoot Tim an email and he'll get you exactly what you need to match your tone and guitar!
The only problem is, I now look at new guitars just to have something to put another set of Bare Knuckles in!

Sgt.Pepper

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Tim Mills is a great guy, great guitarist and great pickup maker. He is one of only a small handfull of makers who maker every component of a pickup, and you can discuss things with him. Try that with Seymour these days!

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i always thought the mule just referred to the idea that it was a hard worker. go figure

Dr. Brown

Reaction score
I think it's cos they kick like a mule..from their site:
"Patent tone and performance with a kick in the rear!

Stowburst

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had some Mules and they were great, Tim is a cool cat too and will make you a bespoke pup to sound how you want it.

skyn

Reaction score
I've heard quite a number of Bareknuckles. I've got a set of Mother's Milk in my Strat and VHII's in my Les Paul. I'd highly recommend the VHII's for a more classic rock with an edge kind of sound, or Nailbombs for more modern and heavier tones.

tele52

Reaction score
Tim Mills is a great guy, great guitarist and great pickup maker. He is one of only a small handfull of makers who maker every component of a pickup, and you can discuss things with him. Try that with Seymour these days!

You can call Lindy Fralin, get exactly what you want or return them. I hell of a lot cheaper.

Latest Threads