Bands who ditch the set setlist

Kashmir

Reaction score
Widespread Panic actually carries around a catalog of all the songs they do and highlight all the songs they've done for the past few shows, each show a different color, so when they go onstage they have a good idea of which songs NOT to play so that each show is different. It's pretty wild.

I'm sure there are a bunch of other jam bands that don't make setlists either, but that one stuck out as being pretty cool, to me

It is a jamband thing. Warren and Mule also do it all the time. They alter the list regularly.

mdubya

Reaction score
Nice. I've seen the Peppers a couple of times and was impressed by the depth in the setlist. It's a very juvenile theme, but I was gassed when they played Special Secret Song Inside. ;)

I am pretty sure last time I saw RHCP was 1988, with Hillel, in a 250 standing room capacity club (the "old" 930 Club), not even sold out! on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Faith No More opened, with Chuck as the singer.

They played Mommy, Where's Daddy? :D

Jack Sherman actually played guitar on the record, not Hillel.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM8xtNTtpxw[/ame]

FNM with Chuck.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWD7BqeKmgQ[/ame]

NRBQ

Reaction score
NRBQ started out playing in the 60's and to this day they've never used a set list of any kind.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuozQbE3OAs[/ame]

Kashmir

Reaction score
I am pretty sure last time I saw RHCP was 1988, with Hillel, in a 250 standing room capacity club (the "old" 930 Club), not even sold out! on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Faith No More opened, with Chuck as the singer.

I saw the Chili Peppers about 10 years ago. Queens of the Stone Age opened. All around awesome show.

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elvis Costello used to do shows with a big spinning wheel with the songs on it. Totally random what they would play. Fans could make suggestions.

Takes a tight band comfortable with their catalog, and a performer with little fear of the occasional *boof !*.

They were some pretty cool shows.

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've heard Tim Fezziwig never uses a set list.

I've heard rumours that he's totally off-the-cuff, anarchic even, in his choice of live songs. In the zone. All the time!!!

The Man ROCKS!!!!!!!!!! :thumb: :wave: :D :dude:

tdearn

Reaction score
The pianist in my jazz band gets bored of tunes very quickly and before each gig sends us charts and lead sheets for completely new tunes so each gig becomes an excersise in sight reading and improvising over completely new tunes. It can be frustrating because I feel like we are just blagging through everything and never giving tunes the time to evolve and improvisation ideas to develop.

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
I've heard Tim Fezziwig never uses a set list.

I've heard rumours that he's totally off-the-cuff, anarchic even, in his choice of live songs. In the zone. All the time!!!

The Man ROCKS!!!!!!!!!! :thumb: :wave: :D :dude:

J, sorry, I must admit bassist does the list...he is boss......I DRIVE HIM CRAZY!:laugh2:

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I saw Aerosmith before they cleaned up and began making music for pickup truck commercials and sh!te movies. Someone passed Tyler a joint and he gave it a few puffs. Next thing, cops ordered the band off the stage (I don't know what happened to them, pre-internet era). Suddenly, I was in my first RnR mini-riot. The lawn area had been recently sodded and it all got torn up! I saw one row of seats that were pulled right off their fasteners. Much delight for a fourteen year old. The riot was better than the band, who were to F'd up too play anyway. :D

I remember the news accounts of the sod-throwing revelers.

Kezia

Reaction score
Beach House put up a setlist creator for their latest tour, allowing fans to write in 3 song suggestions for each show. It's allowed a lot of their really great older songs to get some more recognition. Hearing Saltwater being played live for the first time in years was incredible.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIEel0wUHMw[/ame]

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
J, sorry, I must admit bassist does the list...he is boss......I DRIVE HIM CRAZY!:laugh2:

Well take the feckin' thing off him then! Tell him to FOLLOW YOU!!! TO THE EDGE OF THE MUSICAL UNIVERSE AND BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeez, Tim, yer gettin' soft in yer old age...!!!

:naughty: :thumb: :laugh2: :dude:

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
Well take the feckin' thing off him then! Tell him to FOLLOW YOU!!! TO THE EDGE OF THE MUSICAL UNIVERSE AND BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeez, Tim, yer gettin' soft in yer old age...!!!

:naughty: :thumb: :laugh2: :dude:

No, there is a plan. I'm just the leader in waiting...I say Yes Tommy ...Yes Tommy....may I Tommy...then,,,,I "turn" take my guitar and pout for? decades.:shock:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adh_8pva10k[/ame]

Lannes

Reaction score
Best bands I've ever seen for throwing out any song at any position in their set lists are Phish and Widespread Panic. Unique sets every show.

twst1up

Reaction score
Warren Haynes, the mule, the crowes, phish, mmw, abb, dead ( last two now defunct)... I guess you could say every band on the "jam band" circuit.

It's not what songs they play, it's how they play them. Most of these bands can do the exact same songs 2 nites in a row but it's an entirely diff show. I don't see rush or the rhcp capable of touching this, but they aren't improv bands

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
On Ozzy's last big solo tour around four-five years ago he broke the mold and went without a setlist. It was a big deal because Ozzy has always been pretty infamous for sticking with the same thing tour after tour. Some sets were shorter and some were longer. When I saw him it was a real treat. He went two and a half hours and pulled out really cool **** that he rarely does.

six-string

Reaction score
Warren Haynes, the mule, the crowes, phish, mmw, abb, dead ( last two now defunct)... I guess you could say every band on the "jam band" circuit.

It's not what songs they play, it's how they play them. Most of these bands can do the exact same songs 2 nites in a row but it's an entirely diff show. I don't see rush or the rhcp capable of touching this, but they aren't improv bands

gotta agree with some of this.
been listening to the Gov't Mule-Dark side tribute to Floyd and it is a real treat.
not a note for note cover of Pink, but probably the best "interpretation" i've heard. seen the Black Crowes a few times and those boys know how to turn on a crowd!

Latest Threads