Band Saw

Roxy13

Reaction score
I'm still looking for a band saw to cut guitar bodies. I came across this one today. Does this one look large enough for that work?

jkes01

Reaction score
I'm still looking for a band saw to cut guitar bodies. I came across this one today. Does this one look large enough for that work?

Looks like the bandsaw/sander I have, but looks to be modified. It is large enough for my needs. Does it have the table and stand?

My saw shakes like crazy. All the bearings are good and believe it to be caused by the belt. wanting to replace it with a link belt in hopes that sorts it out.

Roxy13

Reaction score
It looks like he has it attached to a support beam to me from the photos.

DaveR

Reaction score
It appears to be missing the table part which makes it useless as a bandsaw. I don’t see the upper guides either. I might pass on that particular one. I got the same craftsman saw (in original configuration) for $100 many years ago and it has served me well and will cut guitar bodies. It’s a little wimpy, but it will do it. I’ve since purchased another large 20” bandsaw for resawing or cutting really thick lumber. But the little craftsman is my go to for most curvy cuts.

Roxy13

Reaction score
He didn't answer me when I asked if it had the table or guides but he read the message.

I found 2 more possibilities.

And

I have a pickup truck so I can get them home.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
not familiar with those, but looks like either could service you. i'd check the horsepower and blade capacity/size/availability on both before pulling the trigger. one with bearings is more desirable than fibre guide blocks.

Tonyd145

Reaction score
I've used a small 9" Skil bandsaw that got me through 9 builds. Just tried to cut an Explorer body out and it's no dice. Finally bit the dust. I'd say look for the best deal you can afford, look at ratings, and get the best you can.

ARandall

Reaction score
I used the cheapest DIY bandsaw, and it lasted for the first 30 or so guitar builds I did. I've replaced it only recently with the same type.
There is no need to go big/strong if the only thing you are doing is 'rough' cutting outlines - which then get routed to shape anyhow as a secondary step.
If you are resawing, then yes you need a certain size.

Roxy13

Reaction score
The top one says 1 1/8hp. Seems to be a pretty common saw so I'm sure you can get blades and belts and whatever for it?

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i've never owned a craftsman, but years ago they had a tendency to make stuff unique to their specs so you had to go back to them. with sears closed, don't get something that would be particularly hard to find. i wouldn't think a bandsaw blade would be a problem, but just thought i'd throw that out there.

DaveR

Reaction score
I think a 12" craftsman uses a standard blade size. I was able to cheaply procure one for mine at Lowe's of all places some years back (when Sears was still open). I prefer the style of the original posting (if it were complete) vs the tilt table kind, if only just for a smaller footprint in the shop. I'm assuming either of those would get the job done. Both seem slightly overpriced. Any bandsaw under 14" is small and limited in what it can do, and I'd be hard pressed to spend more than $100 used for either of those. But to @ARandall's point, you don't really need a "serious" bandsaw for the kind of stuff we do in guitar building.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Well, I had considered the 9" Wen earlier and people here told me it probably wouldn't hold up. And to look for a used 12" or higher. I just hardly can find anything used around here. I've been looking for one for a long time.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
now that my feeble mind has caught up to me, i believe lowes has picked up the craftsman line, so blades shouldn't be a problem

ARandall

Reaction score
Depends again on what you are to use it for, and what your level of use is.

Most people like to buy a tool once, and want to have it be strong enough to last until their estate is divvied out to their offspring.
For mine, I have a (side) business that chews through tools due to dust and outdoor use.....so I look on tools as something that lives for a bit, does a job and then you move on to another model once that one dies.
Also, as guitar building is a hobby for me, not a business, small issues with correcting minor issues on a build are not critical. Secondly the tool gets only sporadic use. The DIY level is perfectly acceptable for that. More consistent/constant use would indeed warrant a stronger motor and availability of replaceable wearing parts. I used only the 1 blade for the entire life of the 1st bandsaw

DaveR

Reaction score
Agreed. If someone is making their living from custom building, it could be worthwhile it to pony up the cash for a monster saw. I just assume we're all hobbyists around here, although I know that's not entirely accurate.

Patience and budget is key in the used tools market. It's taken me a very long time, and I've walked away from more Craigslist tools than I've purchased, but I have a very nicely outfitted woodshop and almost all of it is used. Those 12" craftsman saws come up a lot and tend to be in that $100 range. I've always been happy with mine, but it has it's limits. I got lucky and found a 20" grizzly for $350 a few years ago. That's overkill for most things, but it will resaw a maple top. I tend to see 14" deltas, jets, grizzlys in the $400 range, but only a few times a year, and you gotta jump on them when the come up for sale.

The older I get and the more extra money I have, I wish I had just bought nice new tools when I was getting started with woodwork, but that wasn't in the cards when I started buying tools about 8 years ago.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
^^^this. i too am a hobbyist, but was in well equipped shop building custom furniture for years before i had to quit. every tool has it's limits, regardless of size or cost. these lighter tools are more than adequate for occasional use....just work within the limits of the tool. feed rate, sharp cutlery and maintenance are key. the tool will tell you when it's too much or too fast. band saws in particular have a tendency to crawl when pushed to fast, or aren't sharp or set up correctly. if this is your first run at a bandsaw, take some scraps and test cut. and don't let the relative slow blade speed fool you...you can lose a finger real fast with one of these boogeers.

jkes01

Reaction score
He didn't answer me when I asked if it had the table or guides but he read the message.

I found 2 more possibilities.

And

I have a pickup truck so I can get them home.
I don’t care for the first one and know nothing about the second one, but heard Jimmy DiResta say if your bandsaw doesn’t have a cast iron table, throw it away. Or something like that :)

Is the second one also 12”?

Roxy13

Reaction score
I don’t care for the first one and know nothing about the second one, but heard Jimmy DiResta say if your bandsaw doesn’t have a cast iron table, throw it away. Or something like that :)

Is the second one also 12”?
I'm not sure but it looks like a good sized one. Is it too old to find parts though?

jkes01

Reaction score
I'm not sure but it looks like a good sized one. Is it too old to find parts though?
You can get Craftsman parts from Sears Parts Direct. If they discontinue them, there’s always eBay. I have even bought craftsman parts on Amazon. A lot of manufactures‘ parts are interchangeable, at least with the lawn mowers. :thumb:

Latest Threads