BadMojo Historic Makeover (Plus Creamtone, CrazyParts, Throbak) 91 LP Classic

Reaction score
First some shoutouts!

Andy @BadMojo is awesome. Andy worked with me throughout the process of pulling this guitar together. He was very helpful in providing updates and pictures on this project. He made a masterpiece out of some solid bones. I told him I was really into Peter Green right now (doing lots of transcribing and creating backing tracks for myself) and wanted my LP to kind of give off the vibe of that era. He seemed more excited about the project than I did at times! I kept sending him pictures of where I wanted to go and it seemed as we moved along I wanted it more relic'd. Not over the top but definitely like a guitar that has been around the block.

Jon @ThroBak - My SLE-101 Plus pickups are amazing! They sound so close to what I hear when I am transcribing Peter Green stuff. Super happy with these pickups. I only whish I had asked Jon to do the magnet flip when he built the pickups so as not to void my warranty!

Lonnie @CreamTone - Great to work with. Answered all of my questions about Maple Flame Mod we did on my Classic and about the wiring harness I got with vintage drifted Bumblebees.

I have owned this 1991 Les Paul Classic since 1991. It spent a lot of time in smoky bars in around Detroit in the early nineties when I was in a pretty cool band. Life took over and I got married to someone who much prefers the Backstreet Boys to Led Zeppelin! So the guitar sat dormant up until a couple of years ago when I got back into guitar and specifically studying the Blues. During that time I put together two amazing partscasters that were both relic'd by MJT. I love that look. My Les Paul, while possessing awesome tone, did not have that thin lacquer I have grown so accustomed to in my partscasters. So I decided to do a makeover knowing full well that this guitar will never be the values of a real 1959 or 1960 Les Paul. I just wanted something that drew me to play it every day.

So here were my goals for this guitar
- Dirty Lemon Finish that looked like it had been played
- Great PAF pickups (I chose Throbak SLE-101 MXV Plus which I got on sale at Xmas time - flipped magnet for Peter Green tone)
- Vintage style wiring harness (Creamtone Vintage drifted Bumblebees)
- Period correct hardware/plastics (sort of in the 1959 to 1960 ballpark - combination of Creamtone and CrazyParts)

Basically everything changed on this guitar except the tuners and the poker chip (I will replace the poker chip eventually. It was just a missed item when I was ordering stuff).

I thought about using MJT for this project but Andy got the work because of his passion and understanding of LP's and he had the ability to do all of the inlay work, etc. We replaced the inlays, logo, headstock veneer with vintage correct materials and then he dove into the color and relicing. It came out great.

To get the Peter Green tone Andy helped me out by flipping the neck pickup magnet. When I got the guitar home I took it to Mike Lull for setup. I got a call from Mike saying that my frets were a bit low and my fretboard was uneven to do a Plek on it. After a long discussion we went with refretting with stainless steel frets and the Plek setup. It was a great decision for playability but anybody doing any math understands I could have bought a Custom Shop with the money spent so far. No worries, I love this guitar and it now absolutely screams.

So here is where we started:

201410131702.jpg
201410131703.jpg

And here is where we ended up:

1 - RDCMomX.jpg
1 - kTleqsr.jpg
2 - 24ztWDp.jpg
3 - LeUJhsN.jpg
5 - 8XQWvMa.jpg
6 - TDiwYu2.jpg
13 - Zpc5Rvl.jpg
17 - jqaV75r.jpg
30 - pSnTbSF.jpg

Last edited:

Netwarrior

Reaction score
Looks really good, even though I must admit my brain finds the unstrung pictures quite weird :laugh2:
Recently, I'm seeing this '90s Les Paul classic makeovers quite a lot on the internet. Are these the grandmothers of modern custom shop historic reissue?

Reaction score
Looks really good, even though I must admit my brain finds the unstrung pictures quite weird :laugh2:
Recently, I'm seeing this '90s Les Paul classic makeovers quite a lot on the internet. Are these the grandmothers of modern custom shop historic reissue?
Not really. It has some aspects of a reissue (smaller headstock, thin binding, stamped serial number, thinner neck - although I believe too thin to be like a real 1960 neck). Way more things that make it not a reissue (short tenon, incorrect pickups, wiring harness, neck angle, etc,)

Les Kiwi

Reaction score
Looks amazing. just the headstock change alone makes this guitar special. What strings are you going to put on it?

BadMojo

Reaction score
Thanks for the the wonderful review and thank you MLP for all the love and support. It came together nicely. :acoustic:

BadMojo

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the headstock veneer replacement and MOP logo.

Old veneer:
6DAA7CF2-585E-4BE8-8BB6-9E500F979CD3.jpeg

New Holly veneer ready to be cut:
003301FD-C8B7-43DD-AE2B-15162AAA777C.jpeg

Headstock ready for new veneer:
BA51B63D-BC84-4EF1-94B7-C24020E29784.jpeg

Veneer routed for the inlay. The veneer is shaped by hand for a nice clean edge:
D8ED14B4-7694-4780-AE19-72B8FA7E68F5.jpeg

Logo is set in place with filler.
FCB5FA41-E15E-475C-A8E7-A4E1BF85AE03.jpeg

The excess filler is removed and ready for black nitrocellulose:
4124966A-A70C-469B-992A-9F09E21B16C0.jpeg

Final product:
6F68F24F-95CE-4366-9AF8-72FA09136D04.jpeg

moreles

Reaction score
I was going to say "the original looks nice? why redo it?" but I think the results speak for themselves. That's really a fine piece of work. And though I dislike relics, the fake age on yours is not overdone at all and really is quite appealing -- it looks pretty real, and most, even the $$$ jobs, do not. Really, really nice result. Just what you wanted, I hope.

Latest Threads