Badcat Unleash The worlds first re-amplifier / attenuator. Any Amp to 100watts

capt_goodvibes

Reaction score
Unleash

Badcat unleash with Marshall 1 watt - YouTube

badcat-unleash-home-1.jpg

The worlds first re-amplifier / attenuator. This device will take any amplifier from 1 to 100 watts and either attenuate or boost, from whisper quiet in the bedroom, to 100 plus blaring watts in the club. Two foot switchable volumes controls allow for rhythm and lead volumes. Unleash also offers an effects loop and direct out. Another first from the engineers at Bad Cat.

Boost The Unleash is very simple to use in application. To boost, plug the speaker output of your low wattage amp into the unleash input and the output of the unleash into a speaker cabinet. Now you have your favorite small wattage amp with the tone intact and 100 watts of available power. Don't forget that the unleash has an effects loop to plug that delay or chorus pedal into.

Attenuate How often have you wound up the gain on your 100 watt fire breather, rolled back the volume on your attenuator and hit the front end with a booster and got nothing. It just got dirtier with no appreciable boost in volume. With The Unleash you have boost to spare without changing the tone that you took so long to dial in. Having two channels to switch between affords the ultimate clean boost. Try putting an EQ in the effects loop and the tonal shaping options expand.

Sound Transparent. The unleash leaves your tone intact like no attenuator that has come before it. The reactive load circuitry fools the tube amps output section into thinking it is still reacting with a speaker cabinet. It will bloom and squash just as if you are plugged into your cab.

Effects Loop Don't forget the ability to insert effects post tube power amp. Try placing an EQ after your favorite amp and open all kinds of tonal possibilities. The unleash come with a direct out to record or send to a board while doing away with the necessity of plugging you amp into a cab. This is useful for those late night recording sessions.
Weighs 4.5 pounds and comes with a lifetime warranty.

Matty

Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome device if it works as good as they say. :thumb:

Someone buy one and tell me if they're any good. :D

Matty

Reaction score
I'll be anxiously awaiting your verdict. :thumb:

Good to know that someone whose opinion I trust is getting one, and plays the amps I play too. :thumbs:

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Great idea! Be interesting to see how it works out.

Always fun to see something new and creative like this.

LPV

Reaction score
This has my GAS alarm going off like crazy.

BCRGreg

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I played with one at NAMM. Awesome. I have some coming. We expect to bang through them once the public gets the idea.

sonar

Reaction score
Very interested.

Keep this thread alive.

sonar

Reaction score
I think these are going to be HOT. Lots of people are into the idea of small amps and this is going to make it where small amps can play places they shouldn't be able to. Even beyond what a PA will do.

Attenuation and effects loop sweetens the deal. Made in USA is also a good thing.

Lets hope it works.

Quill

Reaction score
Interesting. Just last night, I read the chapter on amp chaining in O'Connor's TUT3 book, the one about all the classic amps ... running a low-wattage amp into a high-power amp which can scale the output power up or down ... don't mean to be a wet blanket but London Power has been working with this idea for some time now.

What's neat about it is the way Badcat has read and understood the market (and maybe O'Connor's book? :naughty:), and brought this device out in a way that is easy to get.

It does seem like the way to go.

onioner

Reaction score
What's neat about it is the way Badcat has read and understood the market (and maybe O'Connor's book? :naughty:), and brought this device out in a way that is easy to get.

It does seem like the way to go.

Yup. There's nothin' new to the concept. It's a SS re-amping device, with bells and whistles. Presumably (or hopefully, in my case) it is a particularly good one, with the whole input impedance thing paying huge dividends. What Badcat did was put it into a nice little package and sell it at an attractive price point. I've wanted to set up a little re-amping rig for some time. The complexity of it all turned me off, and my doubts that any product could keep a proper load on the amp, so as to keep some semblance of amp/speaker relationship. This little guy makes big promises. We'll see.

What's so attractive is the ability to detach distortion from volume. That's one of those age old conflicts... The loop don't hurt either.

onioner

Reaction score
Good to know that someone whose opinion I trust is getting one, and plays the amps I play too. :thumbs:

For the record, current lineup is: Corona, Orion (Lightning style), Asheville, 5E3 clone, 5C2 clone. I'll mostly be turning volume down, though I'm interested in what I can get out of cleans from the Tweed, and I think both the Corona and Orion could greatly benefit from having their clean volume boosted, and EQed in the loop. Corona is especially exciting. It's really not quite loud enough clean (PP 6v6s), to the point where I've been feelin' the need for a 6L6 version, but now that's more of a luxury than a necessity. At least, that's the hope...

Curlymaple

Reaction score
Cool! Since I don't know jack about modifying an amp to get a lil' bit out of my 5watter, I might give this a try.... Only if I can get it for a decent price (379 + free shipping)?? Cost more than my amp but sounds promising??

I'll have to check eBay...

allstar100595

Reaction score
Been following the big Unleash thread on TGP and from what I can tell so far, this thing is the real deal. Derek St. Holmes and Phil X both already have them for their rigs, and everyone who has received it so far gives it high praise. Supposed to be extremely transparent not only reamping but also attenuating, which is what absolutely sold me on it. Should be getting mine next week, will give a review if anyone wants.

Dools

Reaction score
Now that I have low wattage amps, Does anybody want to buy my "Bad Cat Leash"?

LPV

Reaction score
I can really see a use for this with all of my amps. And that channel switching is a great idea. I may have to do this.

singlecut

Reaction score
who's got the best price?
and what about the footswitch?

LPV

Reaction score
Foot switch must just be a standard on off affair affecting a relay.

I want one of these.

Latest Threads