Bad house wiring = hummmmm

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have been experiencing a hummm throughout all my gear, whether it's the recording studio or the live PA. I got my brother in with his meter and low and behold, 3 phase 110 *and* 2 phase 110 coming from different sockets, in the same room. A floating ground in one socket.....oh my my, this house is old. It's attached to a business. I think the owner used to live here so he dummied some of the power from the store to this place.

Anyway, humm is gone as I now plug everything into matching circuits. What a relief. I used to remove one of my socks so I could ground out the guitar cable with my toe. haha!! I won't miss that. Funny though, the sound from the PA is much cleaner but seems to be missing some bottom end.....the 60hz humm. haha!!! Had to re-EQ to compensate :)

Dustinp

Reaction score
I live in a jacked up crib too. A General Motors built house from the 30's. My solution: a furman power conditioner on all my gear. Next year i'm gonna re-wire the whole house correctly, but damned if i don't keep the power conditioners. those things turn crap AC into nearly perfect, as measured with an oscilloscope.

danohat

Reaction score
Let me know if you have questions during your rewire. I have wired a couple hundred homes.

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes, another techie friend of mine is bringing over a spare power conditioner. He said the same thing....."you need one" haha.

I assume it's because this is a very old house, attached to an autoparts shop in an industrial area, otherwise I shouldn't be seeing 3 phase. I'm still a little confused about that...but nonetheless, it's sure nice to have silence in the studio.

Dustinp

Reaction score
it's nice to have electrical silence. Now if i can just stop the neighbors from shooting until I finish laying down tracks, that would be heaven

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Whats been killing me is the Farm across the road.Everytime they turn on the fence,I get a Whacka-Whacka through everything. Any suggestions?? It even comes through my Computer speakers,Surround Sound....driving me bat Sh*t.

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
it's nice to have electrical silence. Now if i can just stop the neighbors from shooting until I finish laying down tracks, that would be heaven
haha!! I'm wondering if you meant "shouting" since if they were shooting you'd be more worried about stray lead...but I have the same issue with those darn "back-up" horns on trucks. beep...beep...beep...beep every 20 mins. I just wait until 5pm to do the actual recording. Everyone has gone home by then.

BULLETPROOF: Would a few power conditioners help? or is it just when he fires the fence up? in which case a few quality surge protectors would be recommended. I can imagine an electric fence soaks a lot of power!!

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Whats been killing me is the Farm across the road.Everytime they turn on the fence,I get a Whacka-Whacka through everything. Any suggestions?? It even comes through my Computer speakers,Surround Sound....driving me bat Sh*t.
Put your house in a faraday cage.
Or figure out the frequency and cancel it.

The farm is transmitting and you're soaking it up.

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Put your house in a faraday cage.
Or figure out the frequency and cancel it.

The farm is transmitting and you're soaking it up.
:lol: A Faraday cage!! Man,thats a lot of work!! Im thinking of just going over,explaining the sitch and work out some kinda deal. Thanx for the tip though!!

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Gate hooks are a potential problem. They often become corroded where they contact the wire, resulting in an arc or spark. The result is a “spark” transmitter, hooked up to the longwire “antenna” fence. The arc creates RF noise and
ultimately wears through the wire—a problem for the fence owner as well as a nearby ham.

Splices can also create problems, especially if they are between two different types of wire. Splices should be
mechanically secure, lessening the likelihood of poor contact, sparking and wire failure.

Dustinp

Reaction score
haha!! I'm wondering if you meant "shouting" since if they were shooting you'd be more worried about stray lead...
No, I mean shooting. I live in the 'hood, and every 10-15 minutes I hear a 9mm go off. Mostly just people screwing around, but it's annoying. I'm not worried so much about stray lead, as I'm recording in the back of the house, and as little as houses do to protect against bullets, There's about 8 walls between me and the front wall, so it would get stopped, If i've done my math correctly. I'd say the best thing about this neighborhood is cops comes on every day, and it's LIVE. All I gotta do is fire up the computer, pull up some Inner Circle, get my lawn chair and a beer and enjoy. I'm still trying to figure out how yesterday's episode was a re-run, but it was still pretty good the second time around:hmm:

danohat

Reaction score
Wow! When you start counting walls between you and random gunfire it's time to go.

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No, I mean shooting. I live in the 'hood, and every 10-15 minutes I hear a 9mm go off. Mostly just people screwing around, but it's annoying. I'm not worried so much about stray lead, as I'm recording in the back of the house, and as little as houses do to protect against bullets, There's about 8 walls between me and the front wall, so it would get stopped, If i've done my math correctly. I'd say the best thing about this neighborhood is cops comes on every day, and it's LIVE. All I gotta do is fire up the computer, pull up some Inner Circle, get my lawn chair and a beer and enjoy. I'm still trying to figure out how yesterday's episode was a re-run, but it was still pretty good the second time around:hmm:
Holy crap!!! I really didn't think you meant shooting...as in guns. That's crazy. I would be afraid to have any family or friends over. Perhaps I would invite the xwife for dinner every Fri eve....haha!!! but man, that's insane. I hope you survive till at least Dec 2012, so we can all go together!! :)

Dustinp

Reaction score
I'm alright down here for now. i'm definitely gonna move within the year. I don't worry about much as far as crime though. Anyone who busts through my door is gonna meet the barrel of a 50 caliber desert eagle pistol, an AR-15 rifle, and a whole lot of other firearms. I swear i've got enough of them to start a national guard depot. Buzz, I like the ex wife idea, but with my luck the cops would think i did it!!!

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I wish we were allowed to have guns here in Canada. You have to be a cop or jump through so many hoops that it's pointless. As for carrying a concealed weapon...that's a 10yr sentence here. haha!! We suck in that dept. I have a wicked blade and sword collection instead.

...plus I can throw a mean iceball.

Dustinp

Reaction score
In California the rules are insane like that, but here in michigan, as long as you pass a background check and your paperwork is in order, nobody says too much about it, and you can carry openly in Michigan.

Victory Pete

Reaction score
Electrical is a complicated business, there are so may variables to what can make EMI and RFI it boggles the mind. I have been covering my recording studio with a "Faraday Shield" continually for almost 20 years, last summer I reshingled the roof so I covered the plywood with 3' wide aluminum flashing. It is all bonded together with a #6 cu loop that is then grounded to rods in 2 places. We used to get encrypted satellite noise and radio Moscow in the equipment but no more. I still have 2 walls to cover, "Work In Progress". I also have an Isolated Ground consisting of several ground rods installed seperate from the utilities ground. The entire studio is protected by GFI circuits. The NEC calls this a "Technical Ground". I also have many Furman rack units including the awesome IT-20 II balanced power unit. My studio is unbelievebly quiet now, although you can still get noisy ground loops in certain situations but I always hunt them down and eliminate them somehow.

VP

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
nice, it's a tough job, tracking down electrical phantoms. It used to change everyday, some days noiser than others. I'm just glad I finally found the problem. It's a joy plugging in and not hearing anything. I didn't think it was that bad, until it was fixed..haha, now it's like a real studio in here :)

Tone deaf

Reaction score
...I have been covering my recording studio with a "Faraday Shield" continually for almost 20 years...
When we get hit with a space-based EMP, Pete's going to have the only functioning studio, around...

Off topic (a little), but I am thinking about building an isolation booth/studio/practice room (free-standing, isolated) in the basement. I am thinking 8'x12' and running separate power from the breaker panel to the room (having the outlets and lights on different breakers). Any thoughts about other considerations?

Latest Threads