Backing out a bit.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well folks, father time is catching up to me. I'm 70 and health isn't going to get any better, so I've decided to liquidate my lumber items. I have posted a thread in members classified whose title begins with 'my select spanish cedar..... If you are interested, please go there and read and message me for details.

This forum....and this section in particular....has been my nesting place for a little over 10 years. I have gleaned much valuable information here, and even though I am comfortable around my wood working tools and experience, building guitars to the caliber I have managed to squeeze out (good, bad or ugly), would not have been possible without the contributors here.

But more importantly as the information and entertainmant, I have had the privilige of making many new friends though these exchanges. I ain't planning on going anywhere just yet, so ya'll are still stuck with this old fart a while, but I'm just scaling back. I look forward to continuing here on LC like a little puppy waiting for a treat. I still have some projects started that will take quite a while to fiinish, so i'm not quite done.

Thanks to the administrators for keeping a relatively fair level of sanity on this forum. It's been a pleasure to be here, and am sure will continue to be so.

Last edited:

Who

Well respected man about town
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
@fatdaddypreacher, your additions to this forum have been jewels amongst the dirt and stones people like me post.

Your insight and experience has been a great value.

I wish you nothing but happiness on the next part of life.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
@fatdaddypreacher, your additions to this forum have been jewels amongst the dirt and stones people like me post.

Your insight and experience has been a great value.

I wish you nothing but happiness on the next part of life.
you are so kind. this place has certainly been a refuge in times of ridiculousness. I have my very supportive wife of nearly 50 years and a great family...both immediate and extended. I'm as happy as a frog on a lily pad. thank you

Roxy13

Reaction score
You've always been kind and helpful to me. Best wishes for the future and I hope you continue posting.

Reactions: Who

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You've always been kind and helpful to me. Best wishes for the future and I hope you continue posting.
well, thank you roxy. like i said...i ain't planning on going anywhere, but have gotten to the point where i know i have way more inventory than time and talent. it....like me, need to move down the road a bit. I'm hopeful that much of it will be turned into guitars or other musical instruments by others that can be enjoyed.

Who

Well respected man about town
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
In your years of woodworking, what tool would you say surprised you most with how valuable it turned out to be for you? Anything you never thought you’d use but it turns out you couldn’t live without it once you learned its value?

cmjohnson

Reaction score
FDP, I've always enjoyed your posts. This IS a great forum to spend a little time in, with a generally very helpful, non-snarky crowd. (OK...I admit I've had my moments. I'm opinionated and sometimes I can't restrain myself. ) I really like it here and you're one of the reasons I like it here.

No harm in scaling back, of course! But as long as you live, HAVE SOMETHING TO DO. Something to keep your mind and your hands busy. It helps you to live longer and stay healthier. Plus we've all got to have some fun.

I'm so happy to actually be back to building some guitars right now. It's put some extra fun back in my life.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
In your years of woodworking, what tool would you say surprised you most with how valuable it turned out to be for you? Anything you never thought you’d use but it turns out you couldn’t live without it once you learned its value?
very interesting question. when i was doing a bit more volume as a younger person, i landed a large project and invested in a wide belt sander (36"). while i got it to sand the finished window units to prepare them or finish, i ended up using it for many other tasks as well. it was a great addition to stock preparation.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
FDP, I've always enjoyed your posts. This IS a great forum to spend a little time in, with a generally very helpful, non-snarky crowd. (OK...I admit I've had my moments. I'm opinionated and sometimes I can't restrain myself. ) I really like it here and you're one of the reasons I like it here.

No harm in scaling back, of course! But as long as you live, HAVE SOMETHING TO DO. Something to keep your mind and your hands busy. It helps you to live longer and stay healthier. Plus we've all got to have some fun.

I'm so happy to actually be back to building some guitars right now. It's put some extra fun back in my life.
well thank you for your kind words and the encouragement. I couldn't help but smile when you referred to your responses occasionally. I love someone who is honest and straightforward...especially with themselves. quite frankly, it's experienced, sharing builders like yourself that has drawn me here in the first place. i've learned a lot from your posts as well.
I hope perchance i have given a little back, but rest assured....i have received considerably more than i have given.

my building always has been meager, as i'm just now putting serial number 14 on a guitar. I'm no threat to anyone. I'm glad youre building as well. carry on.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Thank you, sir.

I've entered a period in my life where I have dedicated myself to being totally self-honest. I strive to suffer from no illusions or delusions, and not present myself (anymore) as anything but what I actually am and who I actually am. I wish to live a life free of illusions, delusions, confusion, and pretenses, and untruthfulness by any name. It's been effective and I think the changes are all positive. One effect is that I've become considerably less judgemental. I've sort of figured out that everybody has reasons for his or her behavior, life choices, and decisions. I may not know the reasons but they ARE there.

I'll always have my opinions and my preferences. But I don't have to express them. And often enough, I should not.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Jeff Beck-77 Eric Clapton-76 Jimmy Page-77 Keith Richards-77 Paul McCartney-79 Me-62
Rock on....
Cheers
[/QUOT. i have no plans on quitting....but it's like dirty harry once said....every man oughta know his limits.;)

valvetoneman

Reaction score
I'm glad I've been on this forum and met the people here, wish it was in person for a few, you're a kind hearted man Bob and liked by so many so do stick around a bit, I haven't really done any build threads in quite a while but always look at what's going on, it's a great forum

When my workshop is finished I'll try and get a thread up on a new build i fancy making

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
thank you for the kind words. i agree. this is the best forum of it's kind. i find myself browsing with nothing in mind in particular. just to see whats happening, and sure nuff, there generally is. I agree that it would be great to be able to get together and talk shop and share life stories----guitar and non-guitar related---with these characters.
and i'll be around a bit, Good Lord willing, as i'm just slowing down a bit, not quittting.

cain61

Reaction score
Bob, you're a great addition to this forum. I watch your posts religiously and have learned an immense amount from you. I treasure you as a friend and builder. Don't be a stranger.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
so kind of you to say. ain't planning on going anywhere really, just pulling in my horns a bit and trying to move some excess wood i'll never get around to using. thanks. i relish your friendship as well.

Latest Threads