Back when life was like Russian roulette

DavGrape

Southeast
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slight side-track...
This was the "Don't slam that door!" door.
Banged nice, it did.

Brigitte_Portrait.jpg

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daddy had radar in the back of his head and could selectively backhand nail either one of us without lookng
There was no where in the car to escape my momma it seemed

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always had ashtrays in the hospital room in the maternity ward when the girls were born.

Nurse: We're getting the baby cleaned up and dressed and we'll bring her in to feed in just a minute.
Can I get you anything?
Sallie: Yeah. Bring me a Dr Pepper and an ashtray.

Last edited:

Knoby

Reaction score
Always had ashtrays in the hospital room in the maternity ward when the girls were born.

:rofl:. Yeah they were everywhere back in the day.

I'm sure the last overseas trip I did one of the planes still had ashtrays. Not that long ago, so I was more worried about the airworthiness of the plane than anyone lighting up.

dro

Reaction score
I remember being in the Dr. office exam room. Dr. sitting on his stool with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.

He later died of lung cancer. Didn't stop me from smoking for over 40 years though.

Waiting room was full of smoke. If you didn't have breathing problems before. You could get them there.

Cigarettes were advertised as healthy.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
:rofl:. Yeah they were everywhere back in the day.

I'm sure the last overseas trip I did one of the planes still had ashtrays. Not that long ago, so I was more worried about the airworthiness of the plane than anyone lighting up.
That's been fairly recent.
In California, it wasn't until 2000 or so that smoking was banned in indoor workplaces, it was still allowed in bars for another few years.
Ash trays started disappearing from cars around the same time. Wife's '04 Rav4 did. I don't remember if my '08 Tacoma did or not.
The Rav4 was dumb... the ash tray was right above the cup holder.

dro

Reaction score
To be fair, us (ex) smokers weren't that bright either.
My 71 Lincoln Continental. The big square one. Had an ash trey you could put a tall boy in.
No cup holders. But cut a hole behind the arm rest, in the back seat. Put an ice tub in the trunk with a 15 gal keg in it. Ran the tap through the hole. 5 guys in the car. only time we had to stop was to take a leak.
Oh the days before MADD

Roberteaux

Broken Dog
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I recall that in his 2003 semi-biographical book, "Kingdom of Fear", HS Thompson opined that among the other civil damages that occurred as a result of 9/11, another phenomenon that he referred to as "the Death of Fun" accompanied the attack.

It was a somewhat lengthy essay he wrote at that point in his book, and I won't attempt to recreate it here... but the bottom line was that he felt that the citizens of the US basically lost their sense of humor and joie de vivre almost collectively and immediately... and turned into a bunch of nosy-ass, police-state wannabees who felt that they ought to make everything even remotely dangerous illegal, with severe punishment and all the rest of the shit behind it.

I noted that several predictions he made in that book have long since come true, incidentally-- but I'm not gonna list all that shit here. Still, I notice that our nation is largely a bunch of malcontents who can't seem to mind their own fuckin' business and love to bitch about it.

Some of his other predictions that came true cannot be mentioned on this site. But damned if he didn't nail SO much of what else was about to happen. Like Orwell, there were times when Thompson came off almost as though he had a map of where we were heading to-- and a blueprint as to what things would be like when we got there.

--R

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recall that in his 2003 semi-biographical book, "Kingdom of Fear", HS Thompson opined that among the other civil damages that occurred as a result of 9/11, another phenomenon that he referred to as "the Death of Fun" accompanied the attack.

It was a somewhat lengthy essay he wrote at that point in his book, and I won't attempt to recreate it here... but the bottom line was that he felt that the citizens of the US basically lost their sense of humor and joie de vivre almost collectively and immediately... and turned into a bunch of nosy-ass, police-state wannabees who felt that they ought to make everything even remotely dangerous illegal, with severe punishment and all the rest of the shit behind it.

I noted that several predictions he made in that book have long since come true, incidentally-- but I'm not gonna list all that shit here. Still, I notice that our nation is largely a bunch of malcontents who can't seem to mind their own fuckin' business and love to bitch about it.

Some of his other predictions that came true cannot be mentioned on this site. But damned if he didn't nail SO much of what else was about to happen. Like Orwell, there were times when Thompson came off almost as though he had a map of where we were heading to-- and a blueprint as to what things would be like when we got there.

--R

A good read, bud.... exceptin' when you jumped all off in that frenchie talk..... ;)

zeplin

Reaction score
When I was a kid my oldest sister and her husband had a mid-sixties volkswagen beetle. I remember my BIL was driving with my sister holding their baby on her lap, my mom and myself occupying the back seats and my little niece and nephew in the cargo hole behind the back seat and all three adults smoking. Good times.

i also broke open a thermometer to play with the mercury, rolling it around on my hand and another time my dad brought me home a chunk of asbestos from when he was working at road paving near the mine. This would have happened in the early 70s.

Latest Threads