Back to 498T/490R in LP Custom - cover or no cover?

Setneck

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm new here and want to say hello :).

I got LP Custom with SD's in, but I want to go back to 498T/490R. The only thing that bothers me is to buy covered or uncovered pickups. I played a Custom with that combo (covered pickups), quite liking the tone. Wonder how one would compare it to the tone of those pickups, but uncovered.

I play thru Bogner Ecstasy, music is something like Dio/late Sabbath tones. I know that cover plus wax potting prevents from squealing (JB in my guitar squeels like pig), and from the other hand pickup withour cover is tad more bright. But I have also noticed that covered pickup sounds fuller, more round. Isn't it that way that the uncovered pickup SEEM TO SOUND thinner? I mean - one can have such impression.

Also one thing - are uncovered pickups cutting better in band mix?

So, please drop me a piece of advice in that matter. Thanks a lot.

Regards, Andy

Memphs202

Reaction score
from what i understand the uncoverd pickup's have a brighter sound with more attack so i would think that they might " cut " trough a band a lil better

DarthJeff

Reaction score
I think your amp settings will make much more difference than covered vs uncovered pickups.

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You probably won't hear any difference.

Welcome to MLP!!!

Setneck

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies. Judging by the JB, which I had covered and uncovered, the pickup with cover seem to have more "balls" and is warmer. So, I think I'll go for covered versions then. Maybe those would be less squeeling also.

Regards, Andy :)

watchunglava

Reaction score
you would notice the difference. there are some you tube vids you could check out. personally if they had covers when i bought them i keep em, if not they get played without covers. i have a bunch of guitars though so i like the variety

Setneck

Reaction score
you would notice the difference. there are some you tube vids you could check out. personally if they had covers when i bought them i keep em, if not they get played without covers. i have a bunch of guitars though so i like the variety
If You have two guitars with same pickups, one covered and the other not, how You would describe the differences between them? I mean - having the same overall character what are the nuance in both of the tones?

Regards, Andy

watchunglava

Reaction score
If You have two guitars with same pickups, one covered and the other not, how You would describe the differences between them? I mean - having the same overall character what are the nuance in both of the tones?

Regards, Andy

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga-P4pfVdj4]YouTube - Before & After pickup covers installation[/ame]

tons of videos out there just search, form your own opinion . there are definatly differences in tone from covers / uncovered

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
My 498s. I took the covers off just because I prefer the look. I create the tone I need with the amp and effects.

IMG_4097.jpg

stephen78

Reaction score
I never liked the 498T/490R combo in my Custom. They sound nice in my SG though. I went with some DiMarzio's for my Custom, but now I'm getting some pups custom wound for me...can't wait!

Underliner6

Reaction score
Customs look better with covers, even though I prefer no covers on all other LP's.

River

Reaction score
Covers may make a difference - I'm old and my ears are shot. But I don't believe they'll make such a difference that your ability to "cut through the band" will be affected. That's best accomplished per nsureit's post, and by choosing the right band. :)

Lyrica

Songwriting Machine
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
you should look at the versions of those pickups made for the goddess. they look absolutely fantastic and i love the tone.

000_0720.jpg

Rock

Reaction score
They look sort of like these to me?

Zoot.jpg

Zoot2p.jpg