Bacchus or Chaccus ? ES-335 Copy

wncgearaddict

Reaction score
I am back to looking for an ES-335 knockoff or a Epi 339 and what I aim to do is install an ES-345/355 harness. I have the harness done. I do not want to mod a Gibson that way.

Having had zero luck in my normal 60 mile 360 degree radius I decide to go outside my normal stomping grounds and end up in Knoxville, which is a failure. I figure what the hey, KY is just up the way...So I get to a little place called Harrogate TN and I cross into KY by Tunnel.

I am hitting pawnshops, I see a Samick made Epi and the guy won't come down and it needs truss rod adjustment and the electronics were screwed. It was nice balsa wood kindling though(JOKING!!!)

I find out a pawn shop is closed down but they still have some firearms and guitars- the guitarist gives me the gentleman's number. I get directions butI miss the location- TWICE- finally the owner, Cleavon comes outside to meet me and he waved me down.

So he explains that mainly his business WAS FFL stuff, ammo that kinda jazz. Not my bag but no judgements. He says he put all the instruments in cases and they are in the back room. I counted 100 cases and stopped. Levon proceeds to ask me what I am looking for and I told him a 335 type double cut semi-hollow or maybe something like an Eddie Cochran or Carl Perkins or that typa Gretsch. So he says, "No Thinline Telecasters ? I got a nice thinline Tele." I say I wish I had the cash but no, not now.

So he takes me over and he pulls out five cases. "ES's and ES copies. Run you $3500 down to dirt cheap." I explained what I wanted to do and he said he had two candidates. He had a Greco but he had a Bacchus that might be a Chaccus. Keep in mind, I have ZERO familiarity with these brands. I know they are Japanese names associated with quality copies.

So he pulls out the MIJ Greco and it has had a headstock repair- nope.

The Bacchus has a book open headstock except with a taper down the sides like an Epiphone except not as severe. He says he believes it is a Japanese De-VIZ-E-a made Bacchus. He said possibly it is made in the Phillipines or Malayasia.

He says that in Bacchus and Deviser guitars past, those guitars had a straight up Gibson headstock with no taper on the side or they had a gibson headstock with the open book being replaced by 1/2 of a circle- hard to explain, Dearmond-ish, except he said he saw people route them to open book specs and then put a headstock veneer on top and the quality is so good that you don't know you're buying a Japanese guitar, you can't tell it from a Gibson if someone is a good forger.

He tells me that it is possibly made in China because it has no serial number on the headstock. He said I might be buying a Chaccus- a Chinese ripoff of a Bacchus. The other reason he thinks it is a chinese copy of a Bacchus is that it does not appear to be wired stereo or have a stereo jack. I asked him how to tell as I honestly didn't know how to, and he said he was making a SWAG.

So back to price I asked what he would take and he eyed the guitar- which sounded awesome to be perfectly honest and he asks if $225 in a gig bag is too much. It is a faded red color that photographs BRIGHT red, the top is a very beautiful two piece and has nice grain. The rear has a little buckle rash. The pots and the jack were both kind of oxidized and it took using my bore scope together with an extremely long improvised q-tip soaked in contact cleaner to clean the pots, switch, and jack. Inside looked about 1000% better than ES-339's I have seen inside of. Also the wood inside is really resonant and it sounds unplugged like you are playing a small acoustic, it has a beautiful sound.

I have an SG addiction and while I was up there he said he had one SG that was not "a mess". It was originally a robo-tuner 70's Tribute. I have one but he was offering to sell me this one for $650. He just wants the guitars gone.

So I buy it and it has Kluson's on it. He has the robot tuners in a bag together with the somewhat vague instructions. It enabled me to take a "natural" finish SG with minibuckers and install P90's in it- no dogears. I had them custom wound by a guy up in Oregon and he did a knock out job nailing that hot bite and deep growl without the coldness of something like Bare Knuckle Stockholms or Bare knuckle Warpigs(though the P90 shaped Warpigs sound great, I have a set in a Les Paul Studio.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Pics? :)

Bacchus are made by Deviser.

Plenty of people here should be able to help as far determining where it was made and the model.

wncgearaddict

Reaction score
I will get on it. There was one similar on Reverb but this one is not it. This owner doesn't use Reverb and he quit taking in or really selling guitars about 7-8 years ago.

I have to either decide to take a picture with a camera or a cellphone- don't know which will produce a better result. Thank you

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have quite a few Bacchus guitars although my only 335 type is a Seventy Seven Exrubato (also made by Deviser).

You will probably have to make all your pics smaller to post them on this forum. Your phone can do it or you can d/l the pics first to a laptop/computer and do it there. Or host them to imagr or something like that first.

wncgearaddict

Reaction score
It turns out is a Bacchus lower tier made in Japan but may have been finished in the same plant that does G&L.

I ended up taking it to a guy who collects Greco and Deviser guitars, he said that mine is what would eventually be known as a "Global" line Bacchus but he was able to use his collection and details to get the information needed- he believes it is an MIJ guitar right as they added the cheaper Global series.

He has quite a few Global series 335/345 copies. What he was able to show me is that under close observation mine differed from his Phillipine models in materials, construction, neck set, headstock shape, and the star/diamond on the headstock is different. Also the Global Phillipines 335 don't have a perfect open book headstock. He has two real ES Gibsons and he showed me my headstock is much closer to a Gibson than I realized.

Who the hell goes to Jacksonville FL to noodle with a guy who has Greco and Deviser guitar collection ? Guilty as charged(13 hr drive). Still worth it.

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking the entire time I was reading that I'd buy a ticket to go to the seller's house. I'm not sure a day pass would work. I'd probably want a weekend pass.
The visit trip sounds like a great one too.
I'm jealous of your travels.

Latest Threads