Babicz Bridge Installed on my LP Studio Swirl (w/ Pics)

Niloy63

Reaction score
Hey guys! Been a while since I've posted! But now that I have something cool to share, I thought it would be worth your while. I just recently got a Babicz Tune-O-Matic Bridge and Stop Tail installed on my LP Studio Swirl. Here are my thoughts.

I personally can't notice any changes to the tone. Maybe with more time, it'll dawn on me. But I do know that I sure as hell love how it feels! :applause: I find that string bends feel more fluid and comfortable. I think you can especially tell when you're playing in the upper register of the guitar.

I've read some reviews stating that it takes a while to adjust your palm placement during palm muting. In my experience, it took no more than a few minutes to adjust to the larger bridge, and it was back to business.

It's also supposed to increase your sustain because it's made of solid aluminum. But please don't ask me to explain it. lol And besides... I don't have the patience, nor do I have the expertise to test that. lol

I do, however, dislike the massive "BABICZ" logo on the stop tail. They could've made it a bit smaller, but I understand the need to spread the word. And I think it's valid to note that my guitar tech said the Babicz bushings that came with the bridge didn't fit, and that he had to use the stock bushings. But it still works just fine.

FWIW, I highly recommend it!

Other features that my interest you:
Bridge p'up: Duncan Custom
Neck p'up: Duncan Pearly Gates
Wiring Harness: Martin Six String Customs (I hope/pray he's doing well now)
Tuners: Gotoh locking tuners
Nut: TUSQ

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like to hear more. I've been considering one of these for a while now.

A bit pricey for the gold ones but I like the massive look of the thing.

That swirl finish reminds me of a bowling ball. really cool!

Thanks for sharing!

Niloy63

Reaction score
Like to hear more. I've been considering one of these for a while now.

A bit pricey for the gold ones but I like the massive look of the thing.

That swirl finish reminds me of a bowling ball. really cool!

Thanks for sharing!

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability. And I love the look of it too. It looks hella aggressive! :thumb:

Thanks for the kind words, friend.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Intonation adjustment; Do you have to loosen the allen screws at the front (toward neck) to adjust? Or do they serve some other purpose?

Height adjustment of strings; are there 2 allen screws per saddle or just 1?

And the bridge sits on top of the wood top of guitar if I'm not mistaken..

Sournote

Reaction score
That's pretty bad ass.

I like the concept of Hot Rodding a Studio like that where the is no pressure to conform to historic precedent or aesthetic.

Niloy63

Reaction score
Intonation adjustment; Do you have to loosen the allen screws at the front (toward neck) to adjust? Or do they serve some other purpose?
The fine intonation hex screw is located on the back of each saddle pointing towards the stop tail.

The hex screw located toward the neck, facing upward, locks the saddle housing.

Height adjustment of strings; are there 2 allen screws per saddle or just 1
Exactly! The small double allen screws facing the stop tail pertain to the string height. I believe the one on the right adjusts the height, while the one on the left locks in the height.

And the bridge sits on top of the wood top of guitar if I'm not mistaken..
Not directly on top of the guitar. They give a flat and an arched connecting plate the goes between the bridge and the guitar (the arched plate fit onto the LP without any issues). This picture should show it:

This picture here should tell you everything you need to know.

Niloy63

Reaction score
That's pretty bad ass.

I like the concept of Hot Rodding a Studio like that where the is no pressure to conform to historic precedent or aesthetic.
Thank you! I agree regarding no pressure to make changes to the guitar. I'm not sure if I would've had the stones to do it if it were an R9 or something comparable.

NRBQ

Reaction score
I own the Strat version and it's great. I can dive bomb that whammy to rubber and it comes back spot on in tune no matter how often or how extreme. It's solid to say the least. It was a bit pricey though, so I stole the cash box from a Girl Scout cookie stand when they weren't looking to the blow a bit. Don't judge me though, it was a crime of passion so it doesn't count. Totally forgot to buy some cookies while I was there DUH. Well don't forget, support your local Girl Scouts.

Niloy63

Reaction score
I own the Strat version and it's great. I can dive bomb that whammy to rubber and it comes back spot on in tune no matter how often or how extreme. It's solid to say the least. It was a bit pricey though, so I stole the cash box from a Girl Scout cookie stand when they weren't looking to the blow a bit. Don't judge me though, it was a crime of passion so it doesn't count. Totally forgot to buy some cookies while I was there DUH. Well don't forget, support your local Girl Scouts.
Awesome! I'm glad to hear that because I'm planning on putting one on my strat as well!

And yes... stealing from your local Girl Scouts can be justifiable sometimes. :applause:

Kaicho8888

Reaction score
Man alive...!!!! Lookn' good!

That machined billet part looks better on my Harley!

1981 LPC

Reaction score
Rrrrrright.... so you paid north of $180 and what you got is:

- no change in tone,
- no increase in sustain as far as you are willing and able to ascertain,
- dislike of the massive "BABICZ" logo on the stop tail,
- and bridge bushings didn't fit.

So you're left with better string feel. Top wrapping could've gotten you there for free.

Niloy63

Reaction score
Rrrrrright.... so you paid north of $180 and what you got is:

- no change in tone,
- no increase in sustain as far as you are willing and able to ascertain,
- dislike of the massive "BABICZ" logo on the stop tail,
- and bridge bushings didn't fit.

So you're left with better string feel. Top wrapping could've gotten you there for free.
Wow... you seem to be an unpleasant individual. There's a way to convey your message without your condescension.

Now to get to your point. First of all, I didn't pay 180. I paid close to half of that. As far as the benefits go, I feel the change when playing the guitar. And it's a good change. It almost seems that I'm more in tune with the guitar, if that makes any sense. I can feel the notes ring better. I guess you'd have to try it to understand it. As far as sustain goes, plugging into an amp and playing a note and letting it ring is not an accurate way to test sustain. I don't have the expertise to properly test the sustain of the bridge. But it feels better. And I'm happy with the results as far as I'm concerned. And no... I had my guitar top wrapped with the stock stop tail prior to this installation, and this feels significantly better than that.

1981 LPC

Reaction score
lol wut? You're upset with me/calling me condescending for factually summarizing your own story and pointing out the obvious: you could've had slinkier string feel by top wrapping for free. Well that's nice - good luck with online forums.

As for the string feel feeling significantly better with this bridge than having it top wrapped - please explain how the break angle differs enough for you to feel the difference.

Niloy63

Reaction score
lol wut? You're upset with me/calling me condescending for factually summarizing your own story and pointing out the obvious: you could've had slinkier string feel by top wrapping for free. Well that's nice - good luck with online forums.
I think you're right. I was being overly sensitive. Can we hit the restart button? :cheers2:

As for the string feel feeling significantly better with this bridge than having it top wrapped - please explain how the break angle differs enough for you to feel the difference.
To be honest, I've been struggling with finding the right words to explain it. It just feels right. When strummed unplugged, the guitar just rings with so much more authority, clarity and definition than before.

1981 LPC

Reaction score
Okay thanks, no harm done.

The new bridge is obviously well designed. I think that the difference you're feeling and hearing is not only a result of it's design (locking in place to the posts etc.) but can largely be contributed to the different (i.e. higher) mass compared to the Nashville that was on your Studio originally.

NRBQ

Reaction score

See I thought the response was less about your factual summation of his story and more the "Rrrrrright" part of your post. What's the word I'm grasping for...oh yeah 'Smug' that's it, you came off as smug.

scozz

Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, I don't like the way it looks. Big cumbersome looking bridge, the script on the tailpiece. Even if I did get some benefit out of it...I can't get past the aesthetics. Of course that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions... :)

You're the only one that has to like it. Enjoy it and play in good health! :cheers2:

Latest Threads