B-52 Head & Cab help...

Tenacious T

Reaction score
I have the AT100 Head & 412A matching cabinet.

The head has two parallel speaker output jacks...I have my speaker cable plugged in one of them (of course) & into the back of the speaker cab (into the 4 ohm slot). The head also has a selector switch for 4, 8 or 16 ohms...I have it set to 4, which matches where I have it plugged into the back of the cab.

The cabinet has a 4 ohm & 16 ohm selection (two inputs). Like I said, I have it plugged into the 4 ohm input & the switch set to mono (it has a stereo & mono switch).

Do I have this hooked up correct? What & when exactly does the stereo switch come into play? Would it be for the extra cab? Or if I get the second cab do I plug it directly into the head?

Sorry for the stupid questions but I just really don't know.

Plugged in as I have it now (Selector on back of head set to 4 ohms, plugged into the cab in the 4 ohm input & the selector switch set to mono) it sounds great...but I was hoping that someone knows if I have it set correctly...

Anyhoo....Help!

Thanks!

b-squared

Banned
Reaction score
Not a dumb question at all!

The stereo mode would come into play if you ran two heads, and used the 8 ohm output into each half of the cab.

For awhile I used my PODXTLive, and ran a stereo power amp into each 8ohm input on the cab. You still got that nice stereo effect, but not as good as having cabs separated.

Personally I like using the 16ohm output on the amp into the cab (when in "MONO" you have 4 ohm on one side, 16 ohm on the other); some say that the 16 ohm output makes the most of the amp. I don't know for sure, but it sounds a little better to me.

Does that help?

BB

Tenacious T

Reaction score
Not a dumb question at all!

The stereo mode would come into play if you ran two heads, and used the 8 ohm output into each half of the cab.

For awhile I used my PODXTLive, and ran a stereo power amp into each 8ohm input on the cab. You still got that nice stereo effect, but not as good as having cabs separated.

Personally I like using the 16ohm output on the amp into the cab (when in "MONO" you have 4 ohm on one side, 16 ohm on the other); some say that the 16 ohm output makes the most of the amp. I don't know for sure, but it sounds a little better to me.

Does that help?
BB

OK....Yes you are helping. Please bear with me as I continue my education ;)

So....Are you saying that I do have it hooked up correctly? Also...that I could change the selector switch on the amp to 16 & plug into the cab using the 16 input?

Since I'm only using one head, I keep the selector switch on the cab set to Mono? Correct.

Thanks so much for the help!

b-squared

Banned
Reaction score
You have it hooked up correctly. I'd do a little taste test.

Play the amp with the output on 4 ohms, plugged into the 4 ohm input.

Turn the amp off (VERY IMPORTANT), then switch the output to 16 ohms, and plug into the 16 ohm plug on the cab. Turn the amp on, let it warm for a minute, then rock out.

Which sounds better to you?

Give it a go and report back...

Very important to turn the amp off before unplugging the speaker cab...you could ruin the output transformer. ;)

BB

Tenacious T

Reaction score
Awesome! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this! I'll give the 16 ohm a workout tonight when I get home.

One final question...If & when I get the second cabinet to complete my full stack, I just go straight outta the head into the second cab to the 4 or 16 input correct?

Tenacious T

Reaction score
Bro....Thanks so much for the help. My stress level has now been lowered thanks to you. Much appreciated!

Latest Threads