AXE FX new Firmware in beta, Cygnus, sure looks good.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Fractal is promising more thump, chug and Amp in Room feel and tone in Cygnus

Here is one of the Beta Testers running the upgraded Plexi Model.

2011 Fender Eric Johnson Stratocaster
stock Plexi 100 1959SLP model - Axe-FXIII FW:16 b2
Vibe - Axe-FXIII FW:16 b2
Wah - Axe-FXIII FW:16 b2
Hall Reverb - Axe-FXIII FW:16 b2
Fuzz Face model - Axe-FXIII FW:16 b2
Echoplex - Axe-FXIII FW:16 b2

drew365

Reaction score
Generally sounds good, but a bit too dirty for me. Lots of artifacts, my way of describing noises that aren't musical notes. I've really leaned towards cleaner tone in my old age. We'd really need to play through this ourselves to see if it feels any different. But any improvement that moves the ball downfield and puts the other companies on their toes, is good for all of us.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
The guys on the fractal forum have been raving about this update.. how great it feels, dynamics, how the “amp in the room” feel is better.. granted, not all of the amps in its tool box has been updated in this firmware update but the vast majority have been. Despite it being a beta version, I’ll have to give it a go tomorrow when I get off work in the morning... updating Axe Edit is also required for it.. we shall see..

mdubya

Reaction score
The guys on the fractal forum have been raving about this update.. how great it feels, dynamics, how the “amp in the room” feel is better.. granted, not all of the amps in its tool box has been updated in this firmware update but the vast majority have been. Despite it being a beta version, I’ll have to give it a go tomorrow when I get off work in the morning... updating Axe Edit is also required for it.. we shall see..
I definitely look forward to your feedback on that. :thumb:

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Fractal generally only makes it's Beta releases available to a limited list of Beta testers. Are you one?

EDIT: Ah Public Beta was just released.

Last edited:

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
More Cygnus goodness, there are multiple winners in this vid. And the beauty is, so much less tweaking

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
They have another update of it.. beta 5 I think.. I’ll have to load it up this weekend.. more amps have been brought up to speed.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Been playing around with the betas a bit. I dig the sounds but there’s definitely now a similar sound between models that didn’t previously exist. In other words, this special sauce has a sound of its own.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've been dipping into the Beta versions occasionally through the development of new firmware version, Cygnus, and I am now running Beta 11. There are quite a few things that are improving a LOT in this development, primarily driven by new algorithms to model tube, OT and speaker dynamic interactions. Seems to me to have catapulted Fractal Audio ahead of anyone else modelling tube amps. Most Axe FX III users seem to be focusing on how much better high and medium gain amps are sounding, but for me (and apparently Leon Todd from the video above) the real step up is in the feel either side of edge of breakup. Must admit, I thought amp modelling had got as far as it would go a couple of years back, but the detail in tone and feel has really moved forward. I am now getting annoyed by the limitations of the room that I am listening in rather than the amp, effects and IR models. Every amp that has been updated and checked so far really does sound and interact like the original in almost every way (some of the pot tapers are a little different, but that's about it.)

I gather Beta 11 should be the last one before public release of Cygnus. Downside is that many will be annoyed that they will need to reset and check every single preset after updating. I have to say it will be totally and absolutely worth it.

Liam

Latest Threads