Axe FX 3

Hamtone

Reaction score
I think I have decided to go with AFX 3, but damn is it expensive, and add in the 12 position floor board, and a proper fr/fr. along with 2 expression pedals.

I suppose it's still cheaper than my old stomp box board and hiwatts etc, but damn.

The AFX3 is an absolute monster, i cant believe all the cabs, and amps etc, and youre never going to run out of processing power, at least not for anything i would do.

I am all over the place with the stuff i like to play, so having the options available is quite appealing.

From country to floyd, eric johnson, JB, 80's hair metal, and southern rock stuff, depending on who i am jamming with or my mood.

Anyone here get a 3 yet?

Last edited:

hbucker

Reaction score
I've got an AX8. While it doesn't have any of the horsepower the 3 has, I'm familiar with with the Fractal logic and agree with what you state above. It is an amazing product.

Your first consideration is the expense and practicality. If you've got these taken care of, that's probably the biggest issue.

The next thing for you to consider is your willingness to learn how to use it. There will be a learning curve and a need for you to commit to that curve as you force yourself to become familiar with how to get what you need/want out of the unit. It can be very frustrating, but stick with it and you'll be successful.

The other factor for me is that these products are first and foremost, computers and subject to the same obsolescence of any computer anywhere. The AX8 was just discontinued, which is disappointing to me but not a big factor as long as mine continues to work and Fractal provides ongoing service to the AX8. Eventually, the new better 3 will be released, also making the 3 obsolete.

This compared to traditional guitar gear that has a new and used value but never really becomes obsolete.

I like my AX8 and it has much of the functionality you describe in your post about the 3. I'll continue to use it and have no desire to keep up with the Joneses as far as acquiring the newest greatest model(s) offered by Fractal. I see this as essential to maintain my sanity as compared to the traditional gear I own that is years older than my AX8 and still not obsolete.

If you're okay with all of the above, then I see no reason not to get the 3 (or any expensive modeler for that matter.)

Good luck

Hamtone

Reaction score
I've got an AX8. While it doesn't have any of the horsepower the 3 has, I'm familiar with with the Fractal logic and agree with what you state above. It is an amazing product.

Your first consideration is the expense and practicality. If you've got these taken care of, that's probably the biggest issue.

The next thing for you to consider is your willingness to learn how to use it. There will be a learning curve and a need for you to commit to that curve as you force yourself to become familiar with how to get what you need/want out of the unit. It can be very frustrating, but stick with it and you'll be successful.

The other factor for me is that these products are first and foremost, computers and subject to the same obsolescence of any computer anywhere. The AX8 was just discontinued, which is disappointing to me but not a big factor as long as mine continues to work and Fractal provides ongoing service to the AX8. Eventually, the new better 3 will be released, also making the 3 obsolete.

This compared to traditional guitar gear that has a new and used value but never really becomes obsolete.

I like my AX8 and it has much of the functionality you describe in your post about the 3. I'll continue to use it and have no desire to keep up with the Joneses as far as acquiring the newest greatest model(s) offered by Fractal. I see this as essential to maintain my sanity as compared to the traditional gear I own that is years older than my AX8 and still not obsolete.

If you're okay with all of the above, then I see no reason not to get the 3 (or any expensive modeler for that matter.)

Good luck
I was going after the ax8 because a buddy of mine has one and loves it. Then i thought that, with the 3 with so much more power and ic's etc, it would keep me satisfied for a very long time. I love my high powered tube amps, but i just cannot utilize them in day to day use, because my neighbors would hate me. Being able to play a "reproduced" type sound at a decent level, is very appealing.

I hear you on the learning curve piece, one of my initial apprehensions with modeling was feeling inclined to screw with it, down into the most minute detail.

If I recall before my gear purge of 012, I'd guess I had about 5-6k in pedals, cabs, etc. Now I own a yamaha thr10 a couple guitars, a SUF violet rams head, and a 74 hiwatt, and i only use my thr, and thats iffy. The thr is an excellent practice amp, but doesnt offer the variety that I would like to have.

I figure at approx 3500 i'd be pretty well setup up for a very very long time.

Pwrmac7600

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have the III have had it for a while now and I absolutely love it. The firmware has grown leaps and bounds since it's initial release. One of my favorite new features is the new cab block, allows you to mix 4 cabs in one block. Load up 4 separate IR's and blend control them together, you can even phase align them individually. It really is amazing. and with channels, forget it, the options are limit less, one preset can have up to 4 different amps in it, with the ability to run 2 of them simultaneously. So in one preset you can program all the channels of an amp, and then rather than switching between scenes you can just switch between channels, much like you could on a real amp. The unit is well worth the money.

And on a side note, I came from the II XL+, so my comments are based on going from the features of the II to the III, the III is a much more robust unit.

Hamtone

Reaction score
I'm excited, I'm still getting my mind around "reproducing" sound, like a PA vs amp with stomp boxes etc.

My biggest love of the idea is to have my cranked hiwatt 103 sound, and not have a lynch mob at my front door.

NeubyWanKaneuby

Reaction score
I have the III have had it for a while now and I absolutely love it. The firmware has grown leaps and bounds since it's initial release. One of my favorite new features is the new cab block, allows you to mix 4 cabs in one block. Load up 4 separate IR's and blend control them together, you can even phase align them individually. It really is amazing. and with channels, forget it, the options are limit less, one preset can have up to 4 different amps in it, with the ability to run 2 of them simultaneously. So in one preset you can program all the channels of an amp, and then rather than switching between scenes you can just switch between channels, much like you could on a real amp. The unit is well worth the money.

And on a side note, I came from the II XL+, so my comments are based on going from the features of the II to the III, the III is a much more robust unit.
Quick question. What depth rack will the III fit in? That's my only complaint about the XL+ is that I need a larger rack than I'd like to have.

Pwrmac7600

Premium Member
Reaction score
Quick question. What depth rack will the III fit in? That's my only complaint about the XL+ is that I need a larger rack than I'd like to have.
Sorry just saw this. It's much shallower than the II. Axe FX II is 14.25" deep and the III is 11.53" BUT it is a taller unit. Axe FX II is 3.5" 2U tall and the III is 5.16" 3U Due to the larger screen.