Axcess Club

Royal Crimson

Reaction score
So, I tried searching to see if there was an official Axcess club thread here, but didn't find one. So, here goes.

Who else is rocking the Axcess. How do you like it? Anything you don't care for? What made you go with a non-traditional LP model?

Here's my girl I've been spending 3+ hours a day with since she arrived.

What do you call the horizontal grain lines that run across the flames?

Michael919

Reaction score
I'm in! I got the Les Paul bug three months ago when I picked up a nice Epi. I had been playing mostly Strats for 35+ years and never go around to getting one.

I decided the Axcess would be perfect for me since I do play stuff needing the trem fairly often and I'm a long time Lifeson fan. I sold three of my Strats and picked up a nice, clean, 2008 Axcess in Teaburst.

I don't know if the previous owner played with the nut at all, but it was too high. I removed the shims, grabbed an old feeler gauge and spent a few hours cutting it into various size shims until it was just right.

I really love this guitar. It's probably my number one now, just ahead of my old Strat Plus in the pecking order. The only thing I need to do is swap out the stiff pots. For whatever reason they take too much effort to turn for quick adjustments.

Here she is:

Royal Crimson

Reaction score
I'm in! I got the Les Paul bug three months ago when I picked up a nice Epi. I had been playing mostly Strats for 35+ years and never go around to getting one.

I decided the Axcess would be perfect for me since I do play stuff needing the trem fairly often and I'm a long time Lifeson fan. I sold three of my Strats and picked up a nice, clean, 2008 Axcess in Teaburst.

I don't know if the previous owner played with the nut at all, but it was too high. I removed the shims, grabbed an old feeler gauge and spent a few hours cutting it into various size shims until it was just right.

I really love this guitar. It's probably my number one now, just ahead of my old Strat Plus in the pecking order. The only thing I need to do is swap out the stiff pots. For whatever reason they take too much effort to turn for quick adjustments.

Here she is:

Purdy. So, ya don't wear your belt-buckle to the left, do ya? ;-)
Bucklerash: The mark of a well-used guitar.
BTW, like the naked PUPS. Is that standard on the regular Axcess model, or did you modify it for looks?

Michael919

Reaction score
Purdy. So, ya don't wear your belt-buckle to the left, do ya? ;-)
Bucklerash: The mark of a well-used guitar.
BTW, like the naked PUPS. Is that standard on the regular Axcess model, or did you modify it for looks?
I haven't jammed with it yet and always play sitting on my lazy ass! The previous owner was a studio musician, apparently. I don't think it's ever been gigged, as least by someone with a belt.

Yes, uncovered pups are the norm for the Axcess Standard. My 2008 has Burstbucker 2 & 3's. Gibson has now changed them to 498/496 or something.

acstorfer

Reaction score
I had an Axcess in gun-metal gray, looked like ebony.

With the exception of my modified 73 Deluxes, my Axcess was my favorite Gibson. There were some features I wish Gibson would implement in other Les Pauls such as the carved heel, the tummy cut and definitely tremolos on more models.

prs97

Reaction score
I picked up one last summer. I love it. Very versatile.

Royal Crimson

Reaction score
Just got back from jamming with a friend who's been playing since high school. Gave little old me something to shoot for with a wonderful demonstration by a player who was really able to bring out it's features.

I've played LP's before in the past, but I have to say that after getting used to the Axcess profile, playing his gold top seemed really cumbersome from the 18th fret up.

Long story short, I love my Axcess more than ever, each and every day I play it, (and I'm playing it at least 3 hours a day.)

Royal Crimson

Reaction score
I had an Axcess in gun-metal gray, looked like ebony.

With the exception of my modified 73 Deluxes, my Axcess was my favorite Gibson. There were some features I wish Gibson would implement in other Les Pauls such as the carved heel, the tummy cut and definitely tremolos on more models.
Love that gunmetal, but it's pretty shiny. Doesn't that affect the tone to a large degree? :naughty:

carydad

Reaction score
Crimson Lifeson and an Iced tea stoptail. That stoptail is probably the best sounding/playing guitar I have owned in 35 years of playing.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I thought this was about the night club called Access, in Rio...

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
I don't own an Axcess but those are what eventually led to me wanting a LP with a Floyd. I have 20 something other guitars with Floyds so when I bought my first LP a year ago I ended up with a 2012 Trad +. While I was checking out 3PU B7 RI's Black Beauties I came across this one....love it but not the price so I scored a 08 B7 ;)

Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Custom Axcess Ebony Blackw Floyd Rose | eBay

splatter

Reaction score
I've got an 08 in ice tea burst . I've had it since 09 .
Things I didn't like
1) sticky nitro on the back of the neck (fixed see pic below)
2) pickups - repllaced with rebel yell and darkburst made a world of difference
3)gibson pots - replaced with cts 500K short shaft,also replaced caps
4) how hard it was to get to the bridge volume with the trem arm in the way .- fixed ,swapped the bridge volume with the neck tone ,Now its no problem
5) top hat knobs changed them to speed knobs

Things I do like
1)playability
2) tone - after the pup swap its THE BEST SOUNDING LESTER I'VE EVER HEARD
3) floyd rose
4) tuning stability -thanks to the floyd
5) looks
6)weight - doesn't break your back
it currently has the black plastics on it as well as black speed knobs (not in the pic). I'm thinking about going back to the cream but leaving the covers on the pups cause the bridge pup is black now instead of zebra .
I love my axcess it has spoiled me and it is what I judge all other guitars against now . So far I have found exactly 0 that compare tone wise . I'm still looking though cause I need a back up .

A side note -the new photobucket SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

irocdave12

Reaction score
I have the same Lifeson in crimson and love it also. The heel carve on the neck is superb. What number did you get? I think mine is 459. We have very different looking flame on the tops. Mine has very noticable dark horizontial lines. Yours is very unique compared to others I've seen

Slash1983

Reaction score
These Floyd LPs reminds me of the great Steve Clark. :) Didn't he played Customs?

dspelman

Reaction score
1) sticky nitro on the back of the neck (fixed see pic below)
Hopefully you've got SOME kind of finish on that neck (tung oil, boiled linseed oil, etc.) -- a bare wood neck will rot and become like balsa wood over time and with the application of sweat.