Avoiding glue in fret slots when binding

ejendres

Reaction score
How do you guys avoid filling the slots with glue when you bind? Also, what do you do to clean it when you get some in? Exacto?

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
funny you ask. I've got a Les Paul on the bench right now for a refret. It's actually been refretted recently but a disaster of a job. I'm pulling the frets out with ease because the slots have been widened way too much. I'm going to install SS frets so the way this board is now will not work. The new frets have to stick in the wood with a nice tight connection and these slots are way too sloppy.
So I'm going to flood the slots with thin CA to tighten them up. But I will use a teflon dam to keep the slot from filling with glue. Stew mac has a sheet of teflon that's perfect. I just cut the dam so it matches the radius and width.

pshupe

Reaction score
How do you guys avoid filling the slots with glue when you bind? Also, what do you do to clean it when you get some in? Exacto?
Yes - I have used an exacto blade to clean out the slots. I also have this stew mac re-fret saw, which works quite well.
Capture.JPG

I have this one too -
upload_2019-1-2_11-32-56.png

I wouldn't buy many of these tools for myself but I keep a list for birthdays and christmas that I would rather get this somewhat gimicky tools than another sweater or something. ;-) I do try and clean the slots out while the binding is still wet but that may not be an option for you, now.

Cheers Peter.

PS - I really should be sponsored by these guys. ;-)

Attachments

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The teflon dam is a preventative measure. I guess you're asking since you already have the binding on and glue in the corners. The refret saw Peter mentions is good....but a bit of a pain getting right up to the binding. Even worse, hitting the binding with a saw stroke and breaking it out or otherwise damaging it in some way. I use a dental burr in a dremel tool to get into the very corner.

Ripthorn

Reaction score
I use a tiny end mill in the dremel. For the very corners, I think I used a 1/32, which is larger than the slot, but gets covered completely by the feet. Usually my undercut tang falls in that spot, so minimal loss of bite on the tang.