August 2019 BTOTM

Orange Lester

Reaction score
Grab that hairspray, and get your rock on!

https://soundcloud.com/jay-ellisor%2Faugust-aquanet
Here is the BTOM mantra:

If this is your first time, here are the guidelines.

What is it?
Every month I'll post a new backing track. It can be from any genre.
Download the track and record a solo over it.
Post your solo here along with what gear you used, recording equipment, and effects added. The more description you give the better.
I'm going to try and keep the backing tracks to under 2 minutes. Anything more is too daunting. Feel free to shorten it even more.
Try to get your recording in by the 3rd week of the month. We'll start over each month.
I'll take ideas on backing tracks so if you have a request, let me know.

Why do this?

Because it'll be fun!
I think this will be a great way to share ideas and see how each other interpret a piece differently. It will also be a good way to share recording techniques and receive overall feedback on our playing if we desire it.
This is NOT a competition!!!
Majority of people on here post great feedback in a helpful constructive way.

"But Bluto I'm scared!!!"
Look, I get it. Many of us are insecure about posting any of our own playing online. This is a safe place. I'm no guitar god. Keep it fun and I bet you'll learn a thing or two. If you're still unsure, read this: The Man In The Arena. Don't be that cold timid soul.

Attachments

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for keeping this up and running!

Maybe we should do a "look back" ....I was going through folders to save this one ….and saw August 2015!

Like grab some older posts and have some re-work amd maybe compare advances in skill since the inception of this outlet...

or some such thing....

Anyway maybe I can cure this headache and play some tonight.....

Orange Lester

Reaction score

Maybe we should do a "look back" ....I was going through folders to save this one ….and saw August 2015!

Like grab some older posts and have some re-work amd maybe compare advances in skill since the inception of this outlet...

or some such thing....

A look back sounds like a great idea to me. I'll see if I can dig up some of the tracks I used when I started hosting.

-je

gadafi

Reaction score
Another good'n cheers Jay, great work...again!

This is my 72 Deluxe with a SD JB pup in the neck slot. The old girl was already in dropped D so I left it in it and got some nice bass tones on the 6th here n there. Been mucking around with semi tone pull offs/hammer on's lately they make for some fairly easy runs.

https://soundcloud.com/hippy-club%2Fmlp-aug-2019

LenPaul

Reaction score

or some such thing....

I've saved all the MLP monthly jams too,, I can without doubt say my playing has gone downhill considerably...
for many others that have put the time in, they just keep getting betta. at this BTOTM thing,
gotta love to play to keep on playin & so many contributors to this thread have just outright gotten a lot better
since it's inception.

Last edited:

KP11520

Reaction score
Well..... Here's my attempt at madness from a hack! Despite all the issues and Boner Notes, there are up to 5 to 6 seconds of brilliance. I might be exaggerating though. LOL Especially because they were after the recording ended. Hopefully worthy of your time! Thanks!

JDM Epi LP Standard LQ with Pup and Electronics upgrades through Keeley GC-2 Limiting Amplifier (compressor) into my Tim boost, into Amplitube Tweed Plug-In via Digidesign MB Pro Audio Interface.

Now I can listen to what you all did!

Cheers!

https://soundcloud.com/user-932478240%2Faug2019btotm

Last edited:

KP11520

Reaction score
After listening.....

Franky, I loved your airy and clean approach and long fade out. Took me back to the later 80s, when I spent a lot of time in the Summer in The Hamptons. Easy listening and perfect for fun with friends.

Parts, I gotta give you a hand.... But after hearing that, yours is working FINE! Seriously, the whole packaging really sat perfect right in the pocket. KUDOS!

gadafi, what can I say... Really nice phrasing and note choices and perfect quiet placed for effect. Tasty!!

And Len, you got it all going on. And what I really notice (with all the other capabilities I need) is not to feel I have to keep pumping notes out and let it breathe. And then sometimes NOT. But all put together as the perfect end to end flow keeping listeners engaged!

Bravo Gents. I have so much to work on! OUCH!

I guess this is a Gary Moore BT. Here I was thinking it was a BT of Def Leopard Love Bites verse repeats slightly off to avoid Copyright issues. DOH!

Rock On!!!!!

KP11520

Reaction score

parts

Reaction score
New kitten and Grandson (has taken to piano) are taking a lot of my playing time.. Haven't even driving the Jag or the Stude in WEEKS but then at 110* just waiting,,soon.. 8 months of perfect weather..

Orange Lester

Reaction score
I injured my wrist earlier in the month, I fought the ladder and lost....LOL. I should be back at it in September

gadafi

Reaction score
Lovely work fella's looking forward to hearing all of your stuff for September blues!