Attn: TC Electronic Toneprint pedal owners - switch replacement

Paulinator

Banned
Reaction score
Just an FYI...

Due to recent issues with a couple of my MXR pedals needing switch replacement, I researched all my pedals to make sure all the switches can be replaced relatively easy. They all passed except for the TC Electronic Toneprint pedals. Switches are "wear parts" so I know they'll all eventually go bad, no issue there. What's concerning however is the fact that TC's rather proprietary design and the use of tactile switches makes it extremely difficult to replace (if not impossible) when they eventually go bad. They most likely won't go bad however until after they're out of warranty. Based on my research, TC will not repair the pedal due to the fact that it's too much trouble, they'll simply charge you 80-90% of the cost of a new pedal and ship you a new one. Looks like they say they can send out a replacement switch, but even they are hesitant to repair, looks like they'd rather have you buy a new pedal (see links). This won't really stop me from purchasing more Toneprint pedals, but I've documented this stuff so that I know what course of action to take when they eventually go bad. Hopefully this info might be of help to somone down the road.

Like I said, I have no issue with stuff wearing out, but I do have an issue when products are next to impossible to repair or have repaired.

TC Electronic switch quality??? - The Gear Page
Failed switches. TC Electronic is the King of unfixable failed switches! - The Gear Page

http://support.tcelectronic.com/entries/20951608-Guitar-pedals-Switch-broken-with-product-out-of-warranty

http://www.tcelectronic.com/support/service-warranty/service-centers/

Email contact: [email protected]

StandingWave

Reaction score
Things I've read have lead me to question the overall reliability of TC Toneprint pedal switches. Although I've been interested in the Flashback, I'm hesitant to buy disposable gear. I've had no problems with my HoF, but the foot switch doesn't get much use (mostly off).

Paulinator

Banned
Reaction score
Things I've read have lead me to question the overall reliability of TC Toneprint pedal switches. Although I've been interested in the Flashback, I'm hesitant to buy disposable gear. I've had no problems with my HoF, but the foot switch doesn't get much use (mostly off).

I think subcontiously the design of these switches has discouraged me from purchasing a couple of Toneprint pedals.

The first Toneprint pedal I saw in person was the Transition Delay (GC exclusive). The sales person said it was the one he recommended most. "Most of the employees here even buy it" he said. I took one look at the switch and questioned it. He told me it's just like most other true bypass switches (3PDT) but even as a pedal newb I knew better than that. It looked too proprietary to me, and that was way before I read anything about them. I chose a Boss DD-20 that day.

More recently when I was shoping for a second delay, I considered a Flashback, but ultimately chose the MXR CC. That's mostly due to the fact I wanted a true analog delay, but I can't help but think that part of it was due to the fact that I've been turned off by the TC switches (pardon the pun).

I don't know if I'll ever buy another new Toneprint pedal...probably not. Bought the Corona new (full price) and picked up a Vortex for $79 used. If I can keep getting them used at a low price, I won't hesitate. But $129 for a disposable pedal? No thanks.

Rhust

Reaction score
Good info, good to know since the Rottweiler uses that switch too...

Couldn'tStandTheWeather

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, Paul. I just bought a brand new Corona Chorus last week. Today after work, it's going back home to GC. Didn't really bond with it yet anyway. Now, after reading all this...it's all I needed to hear.

Paulinator

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, Paul. I just bought a brand new Corona Chorus last week. Today after work, it's going back home to GC. Didn't really bond with it yet anyway. Now, after reading all this...it's all I needed to hear.

No problem man! :D

I ended up keeping my Corona, but there was a brief period where I considered returning it and it had nothing to do with the switch. The Corona kind of has a flanger/phaser sound and hasn't really satisfied my want for a lush, choir-like sounding chorus. I've discovered that while I do actually like the sound, I do want another chorus pedal to deliver the chorus tones I'm looking for.

Neodustin

Reaction score
The switch in my Corona Chorus is finicky as well. However, my Polytune is fine... Maybe I should contact TC.

Paulinator

Banned
Reaction score
The switch in my Corona Chorus is finicky as well. However, my Polytune is fine... Maybe I should contact TC.

I've seen some posts on other forums that indicate TC use a couple different type of switches. Some people say they have some with "soft click" switches while some of their other TC pedals are "hard click". I think hard click is the type we're referring to that may be unreliable, but I can't be sure. From what I've read, the soft click type don't actually "click" at all. I'm guessing that your Polytune might be the soft click type.

Paulinator

Banned
Reaction score
I emailed TC's "lifetime service center" inquiring about out-of-warranty repairs and I was somewhat pleased with the response, not quite as grave as other people have indicated. Still though, $60 to replace a $4 part, and the only option we have is to send it to their only US Service Center located in New York. It sounds like you can't just fix it yourself or take it to an amp repair shop like you can with most other pedals.

Hi,

Our service center is the only authorized repair center in the US for TC Electronic products, I don't have any information pertaining to other repair centers for TC products unfortunately. If you'd like to set up an RA for repair of the unit, you can contact our service center directly @ 1-800-541-3015 or simply reply to this e-mail with the following information:

· Shipping address
· Primary contact #
· Serial # of unit

The flat rate for repair of the unit out of warranty is $60, the cost covers all repairs as well as shipping of unit back to you. Once we have the above information, we'll send you an e-mail with a copy of the RA invoice attached along with shipping instructions.

Thank you and have a nice day

Ryan Yoder
Lifetime Service Center
1955 Wehrle Drive Suite B
Williamsville, NY 14221

Paulinator

Banned
Reaction score
I'm bummed, my Vortex switch is definitely degrading at record pace. I bought it used/mint, have owned it about a week. When it arrived the switch "clicked" noticeably softer than my Corona, now the Vortex barely clicks at all. Each day it feels weaker and weaker. I won't be sending it back for the $60 repair.

Man, these switches are like tootsie roll pops. How many clicks does it take to brick a TC Toneprint pedal? Let's find out. A One... A two-HOO...A three...CRUNCH!!

Shagnwagon

Reaction score
I'm bummed, my Vortex switch is definitely degrading at record pace. I bought it used/mint, have owned it about a week. When it arrived the switch "clicked" noticeably softer than my Corona, now the Vortex barely clicks at all. Each day it feels weaker and weaker. I won't be sending it back for the $60 repair.

Man, these switches are like tootsie roll pops. How many clicks does it take to brick a TC Toneprint pedal? Let's find out. A One... A two-HOO...A three...CRUNCH!!

I think you will probably be close for the 60$ fee for any repair for it. I know JHS has a 30 dollar bench fee and shipping costs + any other repair fees. Bad switches suck. Alot of pedals are known for them.

Paulinator

Banned
Reaction score
I think you will probably be close for the 60$ fee for any repair for it. I know JHS has a 30 dollar bench fee and shipping costs + any other repair fees. Bad switches suck. Alot of pedals are known for them.

Yeah, their service center said there's a flat fee of $60 and that it includes shipping the unit back. I don't think I'll go that route though, if/when the switch quits working altogether I'll buy another brand. I'll probably just buy a used BF-2 like I've been meaning to, but sooner rather than later considering the cheesy switch.

One thing that's still unclear to me is if an amp repair shop could repair the TC pedals. I wonder if they can just replace it with a more conventional switch? From what I've read that's not likely. Guess I'll find out...

foxtrot

Reaction score
Interesting thread. It's too bad the switches are such a hassle. I have the HoF and Polytune, both seem to have the "soft click" (a lot softer than my other pedals) switches. Haven't had any problems yet and hopefully they will hold up (knock on wood). I'm not too worried about my HoF as that's basically on all the time.

Paulinator

Banned
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOkzG--9d2o"]TC Electronic Corona Chorus Fail, Bad Customer Service - YouTube[/ame]

Don't know what was wrong with his pedal, but this shows how TC's "ship it back to us for repair" system works...and his was brand new.

This is how most companies would conduct business when you contact their service center though. In this case IMO the retail shop was in the wrong, they should have taken the hit, had it repaired themselves, and just swapped it out for him right away instead of trying to get TC to send him a replacement (if you watch you'll see that's what they offered him later). For better/faster customer service from TC themselves, it seems you need to email Tore directly (see first post in this thread). I've seen posts by others that say he just sent them brand new pedals.

For the record I'm not trying to slam TC. I'm just posting this thinking maybe it might help someone down the road.

firesgt911

Reaction score
Kind of a lateral shift, but I had a Lovepedal Eternity that sounded pretty good. The switch was the reason I let it go. It was too soft and just felt weak. I don't think I've even considered Lovepedals since.

benoi31

Reaction score
Hello !

Actually, all switches from TC got this problem, because the system they use is a spring + a microswitch. Like in the Line6 DL4 for instance, which is famous for switches failure.

This happened to my Ditto looper, and TC were really not helpful, so I fixed myself. The only thing they advised me was basically to buy a new pedal. Thanks...

I wrote a tutorial for people who wish to fix it themselves:
Coda Effects: Fixing a Ditto Looper broken switch (step by step)

Sournote

Reaction score
Hello !

Actually, all switches from TC got this problem, because the system they use is a spring + a microswitch. Like in the Line6 DL4 for instance, which is famous for switches failure.

This happened to my Ditto looper, and TC were really not helpful, so I fixed myself. The only thing they advised me was basically to buy a new pedal. Thanks...

I wrote a tutorial for people who wish to fix it themselves:
Coda Effects: Fixing a Ditto Looper broken switch (step by step)

Thanks for the lesson on repairing these switches. I have a TC Polytune and Flashback and would have make other choices if I'd realized TC used board mounted micro switches. I had a Hardwire Chorus with a similar type switch which failed convincing me of the inferiority of that type switch. I had already vowed not to purchase anymore pedals like that, but TC fooled me with the way they camoflaged the microswitch with what appeared to be a normal pole type switch.

Since your repair seems to be above my skill set, I'll hope for the best but if these pedals fail they will be sh$%canned in favor of Way Huge, Boss or MXR replacements.

Liquid State

Reaction score
good thread, but a total buzz kill. I was all set to pick-up a Viscous Vibe when they release and now am having 2nd thoughts.... I have the Corona Chorus and have had no issues. I downloaded the Brian May tone print (love it) and and haven't even thought of touching the settings for 6 months or more.

Now what to do......

Latest Threads