Attenuator Suggestions?

TheWelder

Reaction score
I love the sound of my Deluxe Reverb on full volume, but it's way too loud for most applications. I've never used an attenuator before, but I'm kicking around the idea now. I know all the YouTube flavor of the month guys have the OX, but I'm not looking to spend that kind of cash.

Any suggestions? Looking to keep the tonal characteristics and feel of the amp the same, but just at a comfortable volume.

fry

Reaction score
I really like the Dr. Z Brake Lite for its simplicity. They’re not cheap, but most high-end attenuators are not going to be cheap. For no more than is involved in them, I don’t know why they all cost so much. I have a buddy that plays a Bogner Shiva that he absolutely loves. He took a chance and bought the $99 Bugera attenuator, and he said it does the job very well, he has no regrets.

tzd

Reaction score
Torpedo Captor X looks dope. Attenuator, DI, cab sim, IR loader, loadbox and is headphone ready.
However, the Captor X's attenuator has only 3 settings (2 fixed levels of attenuation): -38dB, -20dB, and 0dB , you cannot dial it down to exactly what you need.

When I used to own the original Captor (which has only -20dB attenuation), the attenuation feature was pretty much useless to me.

TheWelder

Reaction score
Leaning Weber right now. Looks like it may take a while to get one as they are on back order but I'm in no rush (still no gigs / venues to play it in my area). Any other suggestions are welcome.

dspelman

Reaction score
Any suggestions? Looking to keep the tonal characteristics and feel of the amp the same, but just at a comfortable volume.
Generally speaking, an attenuator will lose the tonal characteristics and feel of the amp it's attenuating.

There's really only one solution to reducing the volume of an amp while maintaining the original's tone and feel, but it's expensive. Google Fluxtone Speakers.

TheWelder

Reaction score
Generally speaking, an attenuator will lose the tonal characteristics and feel of the amp it's attenuating.

There's really only one solution to reducing the volume of an amp while maintaining the original's tone and feel, but it's expensive. Google Fluxtone Speakers.
Interesting. Yeah, I'm not really looking to pay twice as much as I paid for the the amp.

Any other thoughts on this?

dspelman

Reaction score
As I said, expensive.
I'm not all that great a fan of the OX, despite the YouTube "influencers" pushing it.

If you want to go cheap but fairly good, a used THD Hot Plate should do just fine. You'll just want to find one with an ohm rating that matches your speaker.

The_Nuge

Reaction score
Hi!
I've built several AirBrake clones for less than 180$ each.
They're quite simple, and the parts are available from Mouser.

Oh, and they sound great, can handle 100W and work with any Ohm speaker!

Es

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
However, the Captor X's attenuator has only 3 settings (2 fixed levels of attenuation): -38dB, -20dB, and 0dB , you cannot dial it down to exactly what you need.

When I used to own the original Captor (which has only -20dB attenuation), the attenuation feature was pretty much useless to me.
TBH, I’ve rarely used the attenuator. Once live, when my 2x12 was too much for the venue. Rarely used it at home as my Orange amp’s Headroom/Bedroom feature is much better. However, even with the one setting, and using the MV, it did work well. The new one can attenuate more. It’s the other features that make the new one more appealing.

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had multiple brands of attenuators. Not all of them, though. My Fender Princeton Reverb combo has a Tone King Iron Man II mini. Works great. I don't notice much tone suck. I didn't have one on it for a long time. Completely different amp when I can cook the tubes at home.

TheWelder

Reaction score
I've built several AirBrake clones for less than 180$ each.
Cool! I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron and have built several pedal kits before. I'd be interested in looking into this. Would you mind providing a link to instructions or a schematic if available?

fry

Reaction score
If you’re pretty handy with the soldering iron, I would definitely look into building one yourself. If you look at the simpler ones, there is really nothing to them at all.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
I have a Weber MiniMass and also a couple of these DIY units designed by JohnH over at the Marshall forum. Huge thread (worth thr read, when you have time), but all the build info is in the first post. Between $75 & $125 (depending on materials sourcing) to build.

While I'll never get rid of the Weber due to some of it's convenience, the JohnH units simply sound better and mess with your tone and response the least of any solution I tried in +50 as a gigging guitarist! I will eventually have one installed in every amp I own!!
Just Attenuatin'
Gene

TheWelder

Reaction score
I have a Weber MiniMass and also a couple of these DIY units designed by JohnH over at the Marshall forum. Huge thread (worth thr read, when you have time), but all the build info is in the first post. Between $75 & $125 (depending on materials sourcing) to build.

While I'll never get rid of the Weber due to some of it's convenience, the JohnH units simply sound better and mess with your tone and response the least of any solution I tried in +50 as a gigging guitarist! I will eventually have one installed in every amp I own!!
Just Attenuatin'
Gene
Really interesting thread, thanks for posting it here. I'll dive into it later.

Latest Threads