Attenuating a Marshall...

JimmyT

Reaction score
Right, here comes one helluva Newbish question, as you are about to discover, I know very little about amps:

I own a Marshall DSL-50 Head, going into a Marshall 1936 2-12 cab, and I've been looking into getting an attenuator to reign in the death and destruction that it's quite capable of unleashing. However, I was having a chat with a mate of mine who told me that he uses a Morley volume plus in the Effects loop of his amp so that he can crank it and lower the final volume to whatever he wants. Now, other than me not understanding how a volume pedal placed BEFORE the Power-stage can lower the volume/output coming OUT OF the Power-stage, that sounds like it could be hurting something.

So should I run round there, give him a slap and tell him to stop, or is this an idea I should be copying?

Thanks in advance.

>Photi G<

Reaction score
Really, his volume pedal is acting as a remote Master Volume. It isn't attenuating anything, but the preamp signal being fed to the power amp. He's not hurting anything in the amp, but he believes that he is actually getting a cheap attenuator, which he is not.

Latest Threads