At least 8 dead and many injured after crowd surge at Travis Scott's Astroworld Festival in Houston

rfrizz

Tenured Luser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a tasteless T shirt back in the early '80s that said "I'll step on you to see the Who".

rfrizz

Tenured Luser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the video, there was a problem with a surge at the entrance to the festival.

For the Cincinatti Who concert in 1979, the main cause of the crowd crush was an inadequate number of doors for entry. The promoters cheaped out on the number of ticket takers. Bastards.

People should have gone to prison because crowd crushes due to to few entryways was well known. Even the Romans knew about the problem. Of course, nothing happened other than civil suits, and one of the promoters went on to be a promoter of Live Aid in 1985.

We will have to wait until an investigation shows why there was crush at the stage, but the screwup at the entrance makes me think there was another screwup which caused the stage crush.

rfrizz

Tenured Luser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a tasteless T shirt back in the early '80s that said "I'll step on you to see the Who".

I have always liked dark humor (NASA -- Need Another Seven Astronauts in 1986) but that shirt doesn't work for me. Maybe because I am a Who fan (I've said before that my vanity tag is THE WH0) and I have been to many concerts, which makes it personal.

DavGrape

Southeast
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A tight crowd is a MOST unpleasant experience; where you can't even pull an arm up, swaying along with the mass, egad.
Only been in one, long time ago, never again.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
A tight crowd is a MOST unpleasant experience; where you can't even pull an arm up, swaying along with the mass, egad.
I can only imagine. I would freak out and my claustrophobia would kick in.

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sad for the victims and their families.
I remember we had a similar tragedy at the Roskilde Festival during Pearl Jam in 2000, with 8 dead and 23 injured.

Rob H.

Reaction score
That’d be such a frustrating way to go. One of my favorite moments on GNR’s Live Era ‘87-93 album is when Axl sees people getting squeezed up front and asks everyone starting in the back to take to a few steps back.

rfrizz

Tenured Luser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

I used to love that ish! Slowly working my way to the front, was fun, but I was under 20 then.

Led Zeppelin's The Ocean was a reference to the swaying waves of a general admission crowd on the floor in front of the stage. You can see the same thing from the seats.

Latest Threads