As Criminal Laws Proliferate, More Are Ensnared

Lurko

Reaction score
Arrow head hunter busted = let's get rid of all government oversight.

Ummm....okay.

Publius pro tem

Reaction score
I like what I heard John Stossel say a few months back, I'll do it when elected;

In order to put a new law on the books, you must first find five laws to take off the books.

I would make the ratio 11 to 1 to keep the math easy.

What's the last count on gun laws alone - over 22,000?

WTF? :shock: :hmm:

Bet yerass there's some duplication, redundancy and legal traps there, eh?
Makes the anti-gunners even happier to know that law-abiding citizens can become felons in the blink of an eye...

:rolleyes:

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Preserving an archaeological site is important, in my opinion, but not so important as to paste a two-year term on a person.

Not only that, but like it was already said, POST SOME SIGNS. They have signs for everything else.

No eating
No drinks of any kind
No dogs
No cats
No swimming
No picture taking
No looking at stuff
No running
No walking
No sitting on benches
No ball playing
No radios
No fishing
No boating
No nothing
Keep off the grass
Keep off the trail
Welcome to your park now get the hell out

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I like what I heard John Stossel say a few months back, I'll do it when elected;

In order to put a new law on the books, you must first find five laws to take off the books.

Makes the anti-gunners even happier to know that law-abiding citizens can become felons in the blink of an eye...

Don't forget all the "regulations" and "policies" that were enacted by faceless bureaucrats, who answer to nobody and don't have to run for election.

EasyAce

Reaction score

I'll see and raise Stossel (whom I love, by the way): There should be only one new law written and signed into law, and it should read, simply: No law passed by the Congress and signed by the President shall be considered legal and binding until every member of Congress and the President can prove he (or she) has read it, in its entirely, at least once.

Sound as a nut to me.

If Americans want good government, then hundreds of government programs must be abolished and legions of laws that turn government into a public nuisance must be repealed. All other "reforms" merely prolong the abuse of the American people.

---James Bovard, in "feeling your pain": The Explosion and Abuse of Government Power in the Clinton-Gore Years. (Which will probably prove to have been little enough only when compared to the explosions and abuses of government power in the years of President Lips II; and, His Excellency Al-Hashish Field Marshmallow Dr. Barack Obama Dada, COD, RIP, LSMFT, Would-Be Life President of the Republic Formerly Known as the United States, and Chairman of the Organisation of Halfrican Unity[/i].)

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

How did this get changed from enforcement of rules to the strict letter of the law, not the spirit of the law, to lets remove law?

Thats a big leap.

Ed Zeppeli

Reaction score
Finally a thread that gets it!

...and who's the two year-old hiding behind the anonymity of 'tagging' to curse the thread. Man up!

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
How did this get changed from enforcement of rules to the strict letter of the law, not the spirit of the law, to lets remove law?

Thats a big leap.

The problem here is simple. You enforce the laws to the letter when they benefit you. Remove the laws you don't like.

We do not function as a society anymore. We don't seek to do what's right for anybody else, just ourselves. See a bunch of people getting screwed? Who cares! That's reality now.

And that cancer is also one of the reasons as to why there's way too many laws for everything you do. This was some blow at the "regulation" thing of the hardcore GOP members here, I ain't going to take that bait.

To me this is about the ordinary guy who is not sure anymore he or she is not breaking the law by just breathing.

We plan our lives according to the law, that's why the principle of precedent is so critical to the courts. However, Congress continues to create laws and laws and more laws that really don't make any positive difference, they just pander to their little interest groups so they can get their bones thrown at them come election time.

And there's more.

Every state I know of has laws in the book that cannot be enforced, because they're obsolete and serve no purpose or because they're no longer law in the light of court opinions that may not relate directly to such laws but to the principles behind 'em. So you read the code, you don't know what's valid and what's not!

Also, the issue of what's really the meaning of the law is problematic. The notion you can read a law letter by letter and find a meaning is naive these days. You want a better understanding? Get the "annotated" code, it tells you how words change in meaning! Yep, cause those little words have changed in meaning through court holdings in most cases.

Given this situation of over complexity, I believe specially the criminal code should be simple, straight forward, and made to deal with reality in effective ways. The criminal laws should not be used to pander to special interests or appear "tough on crime" while creating yet another problem.

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Don't forget all the "regulations" and "policies" that were enacted by faceless bureaucrats, who answer to nobody and don't have to run for election.

Ever seen those commercials on tv, political ads? The guy riding a horse, acting like a cowboy (when he'll probably head for town the first time he sees a pony track)... "I'll enforce the law, it's back to the good days of old, this is what real conservatives are about"....

Let me remind you of the stupidity of this and how they play to our very own lack of knowledge...

Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, they were not hired to promote the NRA but to ENFORCE regulations related to GUN CONTROL... NO GUNS ALLOWED IN TOWN... they TOOK GUNS AWAY FROM PEOPLE....

I wonder how that crap played to those GOP wanna be cowpunchers who don't even know what they're talking about.

I look at those ads and to me they're nothing but a good laugh....

Those people have destroyed the true spirit of being a conservative, all the conserve is their own links to the big money so they can keep on lying and making a mess.

Latest Threads